I am running an AMD 2990wx 32 core at 4.1 speed, asus x-399e, 2080ti black, ram to the max, When flying from jfk new york with max graphic options, i am between 26-29 fps does that sound right pretty much all the planes are the same fps. Should it be higher i did all the nv control panel tricks and windows tricks all drivers are updated ....

Thanks

windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

At this point, FS2020 isn't using all the extra cores very efficiently. It is working 1 or 2 cores very hard and the others are barely working. I also think they optimized for Intel initially, and supposedly are working to optimize AMD. I suspect you are about right with that CPU. What is your memory speed?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

That is probably about right for performance if you have everything cranked up. The Threadripper CPUs were aimed at tasks that are highly parallelized, which MSFS is not (not all computing tasks lend themselves to more cores). On top of that, not all cores on the 2990WX are equal either. This review gives more detail, if you're interested.

Have you tried dialing some of the settings back a notch or two? A number of settings can be turned down with little to no visual impact.

SoFly has a free performance guide available on simMarket.

https://secure.simmarket.com/sofly-ltd-maximise-performance-in-flight-simulator-free.phtml

Their full guide is also available here in the FlightSim Store. This one covers many other areas in the sim, which may help with some of the questions you have had.

https://store.flightsim.com/product/sofly-a-guide-to-flight-simulator-msfs-2020/

(Although it is very unfortunate that a guide like this was not included with the sim).

At this point, FS2020 isn't using all the extra cores very efficiently. It is working 1 or 2 cores very hard and the others are barely working. I also think they optimized for Intel initially, and supposedly are working to optimize AMD. I suspect you are about right with that CPU. What is your memory speed?

I really don't think there was any conscious effort to optimize for either Intel or AMD CPUs to start with. While MSFS is a largely new sim, it was still influenced by FSX and likely inherited an architecture that benefits more from high IPC performance per core over multiple cores. Right now this means Intel's designs run it better. With it coming to the Xbox, I'm sure they are working on improving the use of multiple cores, though I don't expect it to ever fully use all cores in a given system (well, at least in systems with more than four cores). Not all computing tasks can fully use all cores, and benefit more from using other available resources, such as the GPU, RAM and, with DirectStorage on the way, SSDs.

Hey guys thanks for all the info, while i am not the most tech savvy i think i get the pic. First off i would of been better off with a different cpu like a 4.5 speed and less cores, well my bad for not really doing my homework but i make the best of it!! I read in a thread somewhere to install ryzen master and put it in game mode its suppose to shut down half the cores if i remember correct. I will give it a try...
windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

I think you made a good choice. Most flight simulators are released with an optimum performance waiting on future hardware. Unless you are flying acrobatic over NYC, you probably are happy with the way the sim performs in terms of smoothness and certainly visual quality. I would expect your FPS to jump markedly out in South Dakota. Unless you spend most of your time over NYC, London, or Tokyo, you probably would not notice any benefit to a faster processor speed. If you eventually upgrade to 4K you may need to dial back settings a little, otherwise enjoy, you can run in Ultra and most folks can't with current hardware.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

You haven’t got your FPS locked in the game or invidia control pane have you?
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

Do not get sucked into the analysis paralysis mode of chasing FPS. Just set things for smoothness, & dont keep on focusing on the numbers.

I absolutely agree! I am always trying to chase FPS and I used to always have it displayed on screen. If you can’t see that the frame rates have dropped then you wouldn't even know half the time. If the sim is smooth & fluid then frame rates don’t matter at all.

I have a high end pc & I only get around 30 FPS (due to using three TVs) but it’s still smooth.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

U are right great advice for me thanks, yes i happen to actually live in queens ny right next to jfk so i mostly fly out of jfk and well when i take on on the computer i can then look out the window and see my plane!! lol but yes 35fps is not bad in ultra over ny and it is very smooth at the resolution i mentioned ...