To Steam or not to Steam - that is the question

Rebrecs

Honestly, I tried to do a search on Steam - to read what has been written and avoid having to ask, but..

As you might imagine the search returned almost every post in the forum.

I have been flying Sim for less than a year. I have FSX and X-Plane. They were the first "quote-unquote" games I have ever played. I got them from Steam.

I would like to hear from anyone who has strong opinions one way or the other about using the Steam wrapper around your simulator software.

In my experience so far, it just gets in way. One extra login, compute resources getting used without adding value to the Sims, and a high probability they are collecting more stats than just how many times I have played Flight Sim.

What I don't know is, what would life be like if I did not have it?

Any comments?

Thank you in advance.

In my opinion, I wouldn't use Steam for a Sim. You have way too many variables to mess with and the possibility of failure is expedited. This goes for every "update." Never mind Windows 10 and its lack of QC (Quality Control) "updates." Plus, you need to direct the Steam installation folder to a folder outside of the programs folder. Like C:\\Steam or E:\\Steam, etc. The programs folder is protected so you can and will have issues down the road. This is true for a box install as well. Don't install to the default programs folder.

Now with the box versus Steam, the box limits how many times you can install, though there are ways around that. Steam doesn't have that limitation obviously. Now in all the years I've used my box install of FSX, I've only installed it maybe three times. So no road blocks yet from Microsoft.

Other games from Steam, Epic Games or Battle.net would probably be fine. It's just that Sim games that are as complex like this should not run withen the Steam platform at all. Especially if you're a power user of the Sim like I am. I customize gauges, panels, airports and effects. I have yet to take up aircraft and building design.

Speaking of Shakespeare. A little tidbit. The name Jessica was invented by Shakespeare for his play The Merchant Of Venice. This play was written about one hundred years after Christopher Columbus.

And I just learned something new. The word, "Shylock" was invented in this play. Michael Franzese uses the word Shylock a lot. Type in his name in YouTube and you may be VERY impressed. I'm presently a member of his "crew." :D

Anyway, I ramble on, can't help it. LOL

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Great answer. I appreciate that.

I had hoped for a well informed response. Behold.

What I had not expected-- was to get vectored off onto a 15 minute space out trying to determine: "were I to set about inventing a name, what would it be...."

I suppose that might be easier with a target person in mind. Dunno.

Back to the world.

Thanks again.

No problems with the software here, but if you are neurotic about being hindered by Steam, you can run it in "off-line" mode and bypass that.

The only issues I have come up against are add-on utilities that are FSX compatible but not FSX-SE compatible. It seems that the SE came along so late that the developers can't be bothered to modify their software - generally it is just a pathing issue that fails and sometimes it can be bodged but not always.

Despite what C R J_simpilot says, there is absolutely no problem with customisation and modification - I do plenty of that and have met no issues at all. If you find the need to refresh your files from steam, just back up your critical stuff first so it can be re-instated - although from what I have read Steam doesn't delete all your add-ons as it is prone to in some games.

There are no updates to FSX-SE from Steam and are unlikely to be any. Development of the product is long-dead.

John

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

I used to have it installed from disc, bought it from steam on one of their periodic sales for like $7 or something, and never looked back. There are no login or update delays, I have never had a problem with mods, and if I corrupt something by copying a mod to the wrong place, it is a one-click repair of my original game files. I recommend it without reservations.

August

The only issues I have come up against are add-on utilities that are FSX compatible but not FSX-SE compatible.

Yes, and that's very anoying while used to edit airports with Flight1 AFX and its WYSIWYG interface.

Bernard

Use steam with FSX (dead and gone) and XP-11. I like steam as there is no passwords to remember and all updates are done automatically. I have extensively modified the program with many aircraft, scenery, and utilities with no problem at all.

I just bought a new SSD and found the programs can be moved to a new drive with only three or four clicks. It moves the entire program over and automatically removes the program from the old drive. There is quite a difference in speed with the SSD.

The only downside is you are paying less to x-plane than if you bought it from them.

I would recommend Steam. While there are one or two small drawbacks, the benefits are:

1. Installation is a breeze. Instead of having to load DVD after DVD and entering a serial key or phoning Microsoft if there is a problem, you just hit install and a few minutes later you're ready to go, depending on your internet speed of course. Any updates (not that there are anymore) are done automatically.

2. Small improvements. They say that there have been a few tweaks made to FSX-SE to make it run better, but quite honestly I don't know what they are besides an updated SimConnect module. Many people swear that FSX-SE run better than FSX disc version, but I don't notice the difference.

3. Add-on price and installation: Steam (or Dovetail) run their own regular sales on Steam and I find that the prices are often way better than on the web-stores or developers' own websites. Plus if you buy an add-on on Steam, it is a one-click installation process, instead of the sometimes elaborate serial key or DRM protection of standalone versions.

Drawbacks:

1. Steam installs FSX-SE in a deeper directory branch, instead of your own simple custom directory, which is possible with the disc version. That could make it harder to find files if you like to tinker with FSX, but a simple folder shortcut to the desktop has solved that problem for me.

2. Updated Simconnect module. While it may have some benefits, I believe this is the major culprit for compatibility problems with some older add-ons. However, I have over 200 add-ons for FSX and only 2 are not running in FSX-SE. Therefore, my success rate with add-ons on FSX-SE is 99%.

It was actually the Steam version of FSX that rekindled my interest in civilian flight sims when it launched several years ago and through it I discovered the world of add-ons which in many cases transformed the ageing flight-sim.

Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

2. Small improvements. They say that there have been a few tweaks made to FSX-SE to make it run better, but quite honestly I don't know what they are besides an updated SimConnect module. Many people swear that FSX-SE run better than FSX disc version, but I don't notice the difference.

The Steam edition comes out of the box with a few of the fsx.cfg tweaks/settings already set, as well as a few other minor fixes. Larger changes include the sim being recompiled with a more recent compiler (VS Code 2013, I think it was), and the original, and defunct, GameSpy multiplayer was replaced with Steam multiplayer. The updated compiler, in theory, allows the sim to make better use of more modern processors, though probably isn't worth more than a few percentage points in performance improvements (it is still a 32 bit application with limited multi-threading support). More recently the beta version from Steam re-enables live weather.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/314160/discussions/0/496881136926977562/

When it comes to Steam resources, if the Steam client is having a noticeable impact on performance, the PC itself is at best borderline for any gaming beyond Solitaire.

I started using steam this year, when I bought a new computer to run smoothly xp11 and msfs.

Msfs I've given up for a while. Being using x-plane instead, very happy with the results.

I took a little while and research to use the steam version, but I am satisfied.

The thing I am missing are the aircrafts for version 11.50 on steam. Only finding the 11 version.

Enviado de meu ONEPLUS A5010 usando o Tapatalk

hello, b52bob, I have same intention buying new M2 1 TB SSD. My FSX SE is now on my old SATA

500GB SSD. I certainly do not look forward to 'uninstalling' all my FSX SE and some 20 add-ons from

the old SSD and reinstalling them again on the new SSD. I certainly dare not to do it by means of 'copy and paiste'. I would appreciate if you could give a short 'how to do it ....' and found the programs can be moved to a new drive with only three or four clicks. thanks for yr help,regards Peter

I5 12600K - RTX3060TI - 32GB 3600 - M2 - WIN11 - FS8/9/X - MSFS - full ORBX UTX etc. 

zweefvlieg1987s.jpg

... I have extensively modified the program with many aircraft, scenery, and utilities with no problem at all....

Based on forum traffic, I think there are as many folks loving this simulator as a way to develop (or maintain) their coding chops as there are are folks who use it to fly ... and maybe a lot who enjoy both.

So how are you doing that?

I noticed there was an SDK buried down there in some directory when I took a cursory look at the steam folders. Are you changing Cpp or VB code? I mean are able to rebuild the app or more or less editing XML files or something? Whas' Up?

No problems with the software here, but if you are neurotic about being hindered by Steam, you can run it in "off-line" mode and bypass that.

John

Gosh, and I was being so careful not to push buttons. But no, I don't know nearly enough about it to pull together a respectable neurosis.

The only issues I have come up against are add-on utilities that are FSX compatible but not FSX-SE compatible. It seems that the SE came along so late that the developers can't be bothered to modify their software - generally it is just a pathing issue that fails and sometimes it can be bodged but not always.

I have also experienced a few DLC jocks that could not be bothered. Very polite about it, but quite eager to tell me all about how it was Dovetail's fault. They probably would like for their stuff to run well everywhere, but likely have a marketing person reminding them of what's important. :-)

John

Steam all the way for me. All my other games are on it and I plan to get this one on Steam as well when I get a new PC. I have not noticed any issues with it and Ive been on it since 2008. Its nice to have all games in one space, easy to manage. One of its handy features is its File Verification which If im not mistaken the MS store lacks. So any issue with a game, just run the FV and Steam scans the game files. If somethings wrong it will download just the affected files and youre ready to go.

I started using steam this year, when I bought a new computer to run smoothly xp11 and msfs.

Msfs I've given up for a while. Being using x-plane instead, very happy with the results.

I took a little while and research to use the steam version, but I am satisfied.

The thing I am missing are the aircrafts for version 11.50 on steam. Only finding the 11 version.

There is no 11.50 version of the airplanes in XP11. The aircraft are unchanged. Its just the Vulkan API that has been added to the sim that takes it to 11.50. It is only the rendering engine that has been affected :)

https://www.x-plane.com/2020/09/x-plane-11-50-now-released/

Enviado de meu ONEPLUS A5010 usando o Tapatalk

Stean adds further unnecessry system load.

Not going anywhere near my system! `Stripped bare` is the only way to go IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
Stean adds further unnecessry system load.

Not going anywhere near my system! `Stripped bare` is the only way to go IMHO.

If Steam is causing any issues with additional load, your system likely isn't capable of running the sim anyways.

If Steam is causing any issues with additional load, your system likely isn't capable of running the sim anyways.

+1 and well said. Since he can't even spell it, we can all disregard mallcot's verdict on Steam.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I have and use Steam for most of my software purchases. I bought flight simulator Premium through Steam and everything downloaded perfectly in my computer. At the same time, a lot of people who purchased the Sim directly from Microsoft, were complaining that they did not receive the packages they paid for, that planes were missing and other things. I did not experience that, but it could be that the problem was fixed by the time I downloaded it. Since then, , I moved most of the installation folders, the big ones, to another drive using the move commands within the Steam app.. I have used apps that interface with Simconnect without a single problem. Other than FS, which is downloaded directly from Microsoft, all my other Steam purchases download at a rate of 900-940 Mbps, which pretty much is the cap for a 1 gig fiber. When you purchase software through them, it checks your location and connects you to their closest server, which speeds up things tremendously as you can see on my numbers.

I haven't tried starting my games without connecting to the internet, but it does loads the Steam app before it loads any software bought through them because it checks for your Digital Rights to the software. I believe, that it will run the apps if you are not connected to the internet because other Companies, like Origin, for example, do that; if you don't have an active internet connection, it asks you for your Origin password and you are in.

One last thing. Steam has a return policy that is awesome. More than once I bought games that were buggy as hell or just not what I expected, and right there on the app it gives you the option to request a refund. It only takes a few minutes to get your credit. Of course, the catch is that you have a reasonable amount of time before you can apply for a refund. When MSFS was released and because it took so little time to download the installer and then forever to download the full simulation, people ran out of time to claim a refund. After customers brought the issue to Steam, they made the proper adjustment to their software and people were refunded their money. Great company.

Edited by SpookyDiver

• 5 months later...
After more than 40 yrs of Flight Simming I still holding up to FSX because of my old PC and my enormous amount of vintage planes. Recently I found out that running FSX SE revitalized both my old PC and my old planes and specially my sceneries. I don't know how I survived for so many years with buying and installing CDs. Edited by valero