Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: TDS Aircraft downloads, having trouble with Auto Spoilers not deploying?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,466

    Default TDS Aircraft downloads, having trouble with Auto Spoilers not deploying?

    This has been a "head scratcher' for me for a long time. Boeing 787-8 aircraft auto spoilers refused to deploy. Works fine manually!
    I read in several places, what activates the auto spoilers is when the aircraft makes contact with the runway. Okay, I would watch from an outside view, tires appear to be down and rolling on the runway? NOT! No matter what you think you are seeing, the aircraft doesn't see it as touching down! Confusing? Yes, was for me too, but here is what I tried and it WORKS now! I am running FSX, but this may work for FS2004 as well, give it a try before giving up!

    In the aircraft.cfg section, go to Contact Points and look for the aircraft's Static Height assignment!

    AAL aircraft download, Static Height originally was 18.0275, I lowered it .50, new assignment is now 17.5275!

    United aircraft download, Static Height originally was 19.0275, I lowered it .50, new assignment is now 18.5275!

    Just a small adjustment, a "shot in the dark" try on my part, and "IT WORKS, BOTH AIRCRAFT ARE FINE!" Just that small of an adjustment made the difference!

    You might wonder, and I also did, why did both 787-8 aircraft originally have different static heights assigned to them? I think it may have to do with all the contact points assignments having a bearing on what the final static height assignment is given. I did not fool with any of the contact points, only the Static Height assignment for each aircraft. It worked, and that is all that matters to me now!

    Now, I have a Lear 45 that also has been giving me a fit, let me try this on that aircraft to see if I have the same success!

    Enjoy and good luck! Rick

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2020
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    57

    Default

    Is a "Spoiler" the same thing as a "speed brake?"

    also,
    In the aircraft.cfg section, go to Contact Points and look for the aircraft's Static Height assignment!
    Aircraft.cfg section sounds interesting. Where does one find that ?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    And yes, some refer to the spoilers as speed brakes because they serve the purpose of slowing the aircraft in the air as well as on the landing roll out!

    aircraft.cfg folder of your appropriate aircraft you're looking at. Here is a portion of my contact points for the Boeing 787; I have indicated the line that I revised with <<<<<<<<<<<<<

    [contact_points]
    static_pitch = -1
    static_cg_height = 18.5275 //19.0275 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    tailwheel_lock = 0
    gear_system_type = 1
    max_number_of_points = 28

    point.0 = 1, 54.75722, 1.2825, -18.5, 1100, 0, 1.66, 70, 1.0, 2.07021, 0.85, 10.0, 13, 0, 270, 285
    point.1 = 1, 54.75722, -1.2825, -18.5, 1100, 0, 1.66, 70, 1.0, 2.07021, 0.85, 10.0, 13, 0, 270, 285
    point.2 = 1, -17.4028, -18, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.0207, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.3 = 1, -22.6639, -18, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.4 = 1, -22.6639, -14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.5 = 1, -17.4028, -14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.6 = 1, -17.4028, 14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285
    point.7 = 1, -22.6639, 14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285
    point.8 = 1, -22.6639, 18, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285
    point.9 = 1, -17.4028, 18, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285


    This changed worked for me in correcting 2 Boeing 787 downloads, and if you are having a similiar problem with a TDS aircraft, this might be something for you to look at!

    Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 10-28-2020 at 08:24 AM.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    And yes, some refer to the spoilers as speed brakes because they serve the purpose of slowing the aircraft in the air as well as on the landing roll out!

    aircraft.cfg folder of your appropriate aircraft you're looking at. Here is a portion of my contact points for the Boeing 787; I have indicated the line that I revised with <<<<<<<<<<<<<

    [contact_points]
    static_pitch = -1
    static_cg_height = 18.5275 //19.0275 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    tailwheel_lock = 0
    gear_system_type = 1
    max_number_of_points = 28

    point.0 = 1, 54.75722, 1.2825, -18.5, 1100, 0, 1.66, 70, 1.0, 2.07021, 0.85, 10.0, 13, 0, 270, 285
    point.1 = 1, 54.75722, -1.2825, -18.5, 1100, 0, 1.66, 70, 1.0, 2.07021, 0.85, 10.0, 13, 0, 270, 285
    point.2 = 1, -17.4028, -18, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.0207, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.3 = 1, -22.6639, -18, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.4 = 1, -22.6639, -14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.5 = 1, -17.4028, -14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 1, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 2, 270, 285
    point.6 = 1, -17.4028, 14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285
    point.7 = 1, -22.6639, 14.1335, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285
    point.8 = 1, -22.6639, 18, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285
    point.9 = 1, -17.4028, 18, -18.9, 1100, 2, 2.05, 0, 1.9, 1.13289, 0.95, 9.9, 13, 3, 270, 285


    This changed worked for me in correcting 2 Boeing 787 downloads, and if you are having a similiar problem with a TDS aircraft, this might be something for you to look at!

    Rick
    Contact points represemt some developers idea of `accuracy`. Not REAL accuracy.
    It would be beneficial if any `incorrectness` could be brought to the public attention and corrections made.
    The inaccuracy of the Boeing 787 is a case in point... But it's probably waaay to late for FSX!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mallcott View Post
    Contact points represemt some developers idea of `accuracy`. Not REAL accuracy.
    It would be beneficial if any `incorrectness` could be brought to the public attention and corrections made.
    The inaccuracy of the Boeing 787 is a case in point... But it's probably waaay to late for FSX!
    Okay, here are my thoughts on freeware downloads. I have many freeware aircraft and that is not without saying, many have "incorrectness" as mallcott has pointed out!

    As I stated early in this thread, I had a very nice flying TDS Boeing 787-800, that required only minor tweaking, BUT, the item that irked me the most, I couldn't arm the spoilers and get them to deploy upon landing. I tried several variants of the TDS 787-800, and most all TDS 787's ran true to form. Neither of them would deploy the spoilers!

    I had 2 loaded in my inventory, and decided to do some research and some trial & error on several things ,concentrating on getting one download fixed and then trying the fix on the second aircraft. When looking thru this site's library, all the Boeing 787-800 seem to be mirror images on how each aircraft is configured, BUT, differences can and do exist. In my example, I have 2 TDS B787-800, and they are configured close, but definitely not identical to one another. The static height is different by 1' when making a comparison between the two! I remember reading somewhere, that the thing that activates the auto spoilers is 1) Have the spoilers been armed? 2) If they have, then the aircraft wheels (mains supporting the aircraft's weight upon touchdown) when making contact upon landing SHOULD deploy the spoilers! In my case, NOT! Spoilers worked fine manually, but that is not enough for me!

    Let's look at the static height on aircraft #1, and try lowering the height in small increments to see if any positive results have been made. On the first adjustment. I lowered the static height by .5' as indicated above (doesn't sound like much, but I would later find that's all that was needed) !!

    Lo and behold, this first and only adjustment worked like a champ and I now have Automatic Spoilers!

    Mallcott, I have brought to the public attention of what worked for me. In my case, lowering the static height by a mere .5', worked for me in both aircraft. Had I had another TDS aircraft, it might have required more or less of an adjustment, but the small adjustment worked well in my two aircraft.
    You've been doing this for quite some time, I am sure you have had your fair share of "head scratchers" that play hard to get, making for a hunt and peck method of resolve. Sometimes you don't find resolve. These developers give us nice aircraft and a little effort on my part to get it to 100% is not asking much! I do appreciate their efforts and when trying to find solutions, I am learning in the process! I threw this out there in the event anybody else might be having the same issue! There are many many 787-800 aircraft out there, so the best I can do, is point others in the right direction and it's up to them to find what works for them on their particular aircraft!

    In my case, I wish someone had found a fix, long before I had encountered the issue on my downloads! It would not hurt my feelings to do a forum search and find someone who had a fix!

    Anyway, I usually do provide tips that could be useful to others. That's what I like most about this
    forum site!

    NOW, what did you mean by saying "it's probably waaay too late for FSX?" Someone out there probably made the same comment about FS9 when FSX came out! I am very satisfied with FSX and I'll be gone long before FSX becomes history!

    Rick

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,466

    Default

    Just noticed, in my last post, I kept referring to the aircraft in question, as the Boeing 787-800, but my aircraft is the 787-8. Now I have to research to find what the difference is if any? See, still learning!

    Well, technically, it appears there is no difference from what a Google search shows, one article mentioned the possibility of wing size might be different in one vs the other. SO, just so I am being politically correct, my 2 downloads that I had issues with, were the Boeing 787-8 TDS downloaded from this site's library! Forget any references made to the B787-800, "My Bad!"

    Rick
    Last edited by Downwind66; 10-29-2020 at 08:42 AM.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Downwind66 View Post
    And yes, some refer to the spoilers as speed brakes because they serve the purpose of slowing the aircraft in the air as well as on the landing roll out!
    If I recall correctly while they do serve a *tinyyyyy* role as speed brakes on the ground their primary function after landing is dumping lift from the wings (spoiling it) to bring the airplanes weight on the wheels ASAP so the wheel brakes can bite effectively. A more accurate term for them on the ground therefore would be Lift Dumpers But lets get real..."spoilers" sounds so much cooler!
    i7 920 @ 3.00Ghz // GTX 1060 6GB // 12GB DDR3 // Win10 Pro

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Throttle_Up View Post
    If I recall correctly while they do serve a *tinyyyyy* role as speed brakes on the ground their primary function after landing is dumping lift from the wings (spoiling it) to bring the airplanes weight on the wheels ASAP so the wheel brakes can bite effectively. A more accurate term for them on the ground therefore would be Lift Dumpers But lets get real..."spoilers" sounds so much cooler!
    But they do `spoil` the lift from the aircraft wing, do they not..?

Similar Threads

  1. Spoilers Not Deploying with Ailerons
    By epvanhunnik in forum FSX
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2020, 03:36 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-14-2020, 04:19 AM
  3. ifly737 Air stairs not deploying
    By bratwurstdimsum in forum FSX
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-19-2011, 12:41 AM
  5. Soilers Not Auto Deploying
    By DT671 in forum FS2002
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2002, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •