Second monitor for instruments

Bruceea

Please be aware that I'm new to this and have little computer knowledge. I using FSX Steam Edition and flying a Piper Aztec as that's the plane I flew for over twenty years until I got to old to fly according to the FAA. When I fly the Aztec in the simulator, the instrument panel takes up most of the screen. Is there a simple way to put the instruments on a seperate small screen like a tablet or notebook?

Tablet? No. Notebook? Maybe. If the instruments don't use FSUIPC it can't be done. Now if you are using a 2D panel and have two monitors, you could slide that window to the second monitor. I belive you'll have to put FSX into windowed mode to accomplish this. It's in the options if you press the Alt key in the Sim.

I wrote a little about this here: https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?326244-Switches-autopilot-controls-on-networked-PC

PS: A tablet would work great for charts and checklists though. For PMDG there is an App for PMDG's checklists.

Edited by CRJ_simpilot

Please be aware that I'm new to this and have little computer knowledge. I using FSX Steam Edition and flying a Piper Aztec as that's the plane I flew for over twenty years until I got to old to fly according to the FAA. When I fly the Aztec in the simulator, the instrument panel takes up most of the screen. Is there a simple way to put the instruments on a seperate small screen like a tablet or notebook?

Have a look at Air Manager from SimInnovations. You can build a panel for your Aztec from generic instruments or create a custom one as you go. It will run on a separate computer if you want and there is support for iPads, although I don't thnk Android tablets as yet.

MarkH

C0TtlQd.jpg

The easiest solution is to get a 2nd monitor and then you can use the native Windows 10 multi display function.

While you can have them side by side this is not ideal for your usage so the ideal arrangement would be to have the monitor showing scenery sitting on a shelf on the table and the instrument monitor sitting below that.

Once you have the 2nd monitor setting it up in Windows 10 is very easy.

1. Right click on Desktop

2. Select Display

3. Use mouse to arrange the displays like they are in real life. Use the Identify button to help.

Alternatively just press Windows key + P and select extend but you will still need to dive into settings (as stated above)

• 5 months later...
Have a look at Air Manager from SimInnovations. You can build a panel for your Aztec from generic instruments or create a custom one as you go. It will run on a separate computer if you want and there is support for iPads, although I don't thnk Android tablets as yet.

Mark do you know if you can use instruments that are in your sim objects/airplanes file or only ones you purchase or get free with Air Manager?

I'm wanting to use ww2 RAF instruments for my lanc sim, currently using x2 windowed views, 1 for the blind flying panel and the other for the RPM and boost but the alignment in crap. I did have 'FS panel studio' but it doesn't want to work on win10!

m

Don't know if my experience can help, but I have the ability to do exactly what you describe.

I use a projector screen and a ordinary monitor as a second screen.

( Mind you , I am still on Windows XP)

Having switched on both the PJ and the ordinary computer screen, the image of the Windows with icons screen, to start with, is on the latter.

I right click the screen and click on the nvidia control panel.

I then get a "set up multiple display screen.

Choose " configured independently...and in paragraph 2 you can choose the option of which is the major screen and which the secondary.

Click apply bottom right and your screens will change.

So, when in FSX and in your aircraft, and you bring up the window that you want to move, right click on it and select the top line which says" undock window"

The window now has a blue line on top edge.left click and hold down the mouse and now drag the window to right and it will appear in your second screen, if you drag far enough.

You can do same with the ATC pop up window.

Thus leaving your main window clear.

I use a VC cockpit with tracker, but I imagine this will work with a 2d cockpit.

HTH