MSFS Locks up when I hit "Fly"

Have been enjoying MSFS since day one. Purchased from MS Store. Flew fine yesterday, started up today and all was well until I clicked on "Fly Now". The screen went black and in about two seconds the blue bar stopped and was locked up. Had to "end task" in task manager to get out. There have been absolutely no other changes to my computer or MSFS. The only problem I have ever had is CTD when trying to load a saved flight. Any ideas?

Had you loaded up a saved flight before you hit fly now? Perhaps there is a corrupt flight there.?

Just my thoughts...

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Have not loaded any saved flights since the latest update because they immediately cause CTD. Deleted all of them.

I know you said there hasn’t been any changes to your pc, but could anything have been updated without your knowledge? (automatic updates)

Are you getting this locking up everytime now or was it just the once?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I had an issue with the game crashing instantly to desktop when trying to load a saved flight. However I was able to start a couple of flights yesterday without any issue. FS20 is, shall we say, a fickle beast - what works one day doesn't the next even when, to your knowledge, nothing has changed with your hardware and software environment. Then you fire it up a day or two later and it all works again...

One thing the OP might check is if you have any outstanding content updates to download. these don't automatically come to the top of the list in your content manager.

Vern.

Same here!

When I get to the 'Ready to Fly' part of the long long start up, I click on the text and all the cameras stop. The sim is frozen. Sometimes a brown shape occludes the screen. Without exiting the sim, I have to start the Windows Settings/Apps/ Microsoft Flight Simulator/ Repair. After a few seconds of the Windows rotating dots the sim exits. It stars ok the next time. It's a real pain as it takes so long. No fun at all.

Does anyone have an answer please? I'll post this as a new topic in search of a solution.

In a similar thread someone suggested disabling Windows/Xbox Gamebar might help. I'm about to try and see if that helps with my loading issue, though I don't really see the connection other than GB using a small amount of system resources.

Edit: Nope, that didn't work, well I was able to select the flt file and hit load but after about 5 secs, CTD.

Edited by Elvensmith
Vern.

“Nope, that didn't work, well I was able to select the flt file and hit load but after about 5 secs, CTD”

- sorry that didn’t work for you Vern. It was worth a try.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I know you said there hasn’t been any changes to your pc, but could anything have been updated without your knowledge? (automatic updates)

Are you getting this locking up everytime now or was it just the once?

Regards

Steve

Other than shutting down the PC after flying at night and then turning it on the next morning, nothing else was done. No updates I am aware of. This problem occurs every single time -- I've tried at least thirty times with different flight scenarios . . . aircraft, airport, challenges, etc. Locks every time at the same place.

Anything in your community folder?

Have you tried playing in offline mode?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I renamed my community folder and then created a new empty one. Same result. Tried offline mode -- same. I am really getting frustrated at this point! Have invested over $2K in this thing and can't even run it!! Am presently running a memory test on the new computer that has MSFS in case there is a problem there.

Do you have 2004 version Windows 10? If it is a new build and the assembler used an OEM Windows 10, it might be an old version that the program won't use?
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Do you have 2004 version Windows 10? If it is a new build and the assembler used an OEM Windows 10, it might be an old version that the program won't use?

Not sure I know how to find out, but DXDiag shows WIN 10 Home 64-Bit (10.0, Build 19041). When I go to settings/update it says I am up to date. What else should I do?

try typing WINVER in the search box and run as administrator. It should say Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572)

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

I had some in game issues recently so ran an SFC scan. A number of errors were found and fixed and its working great now. Perhaps try that?
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

Don't expect too much from Zendesk on this. My similar issue got the standard claptrap about ensuring Malwarebytes etc is off. By default I don't have it on in the background anyway, but basically they are suggesting to run FS20 you need to switch off all the utilities which protect your PC while online!
Vern.

Success at last!!! Had read somewhere a while back that in FSX a corrupt log file caused it to freeze immediately after the splash screen. So this morning I looked at my log file and saw that my last flight before this problem showed the proper departure and arrival airports and a flight time of 01:19:08 but showed zero takeoffs and landings. I also read that if you run MSFS in "Developer Mode", it does not use the log file. So . . . set the sim for Developer Mode and hit "Fly" . . . bingo!! Everything worked perfectly!! Finished the flight, looked at my log and the flight was not recorded. So, I exited MSFS, shut down my computer and then re-started it and MSFS and went back to normal flight mode. Set up a flight and it worked flawlessly. Have made two more flights with different aircraft and in different parts of the world, and all is fine! Thank you to all who made suggestions to help me. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box and try what you think might be stupid and it will work!

Success at last!!! Had read somewhere a while back that in FSX a corrupt log file caused it to freeze immediately after the splash screen. So this morning I looked at my log file and saw that my last flight before this problem showed the proper departure and arrival airports and a flight time of 01:19:08 but showed zero takeoffs and landings. I also read that if you run MSFS in "Developer Mode", it does not use the log file. So . . . set the sim for Developer Mode and hit "Fly" . . . bingo!! Everything worked perfectly!! Finished the flight, looked at my log and the flight was not recorded. So, I exited MSFS, shut down my computer and then re-started it and MSFS and went back to normal flight mode. Set up a flight and it worked flawlessly. Have made two more flights with different aircraft and in different parts of the world, and all is fine! Thank you to all who made suggestions to help me. Sometimes you just have to think outside the box and try what you think might be stupid and it will work!
Great detective work ! Thanks for sharing as it may help others. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk