Want speed increase CJ

I don't know the answer for this sim, but you might mention what you get now and what you want it to be. And is your problem with TRUE airspeed or INDICATED airspeed? They're quite different, especially at altitude.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

Speed is a function primarily of thrust and drag. You don't set speed in the .cfg file, you adjust for added thrust and lower drag to get more speed. You may create something quite unrealistic. Adding 300 pounds of thrust might move the needle a little. Adding 12,000 pounds will probably rip it apart at mach 0.920. You will need to adjust the stress tolerance if you add significant speed, so Vm will need to be increased as well.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

As you approach the transonic region, thrust isn't linearly related to speed, it takes huge amounts of thrust to push a svelte fighter to supersonic speed, to get a business jet across is even more problematic. The wings need to be severely swept or very short (F104) to reduce the pressure build up in this speed region. Again, the sim is likely to disintegrate the airframe at some speed slightly higher than 0.95 at 30,000 or 0.92 at 15,000. I don't know what structural constraints the Cj has in the sim, but the plane will come apart before you go supersonic if it is anywhere close to realistic.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

As you approach the transonic region, thrust isn't linearly related to speed, it takes huge amounts of thrust to push a svelte fighter to supersonic speed, to get a business jet across is even more problematic.

Going off on a pedantic tangent here, but thrust isn't linearly related to speed in any speed reigime... :p

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

I realize this, but this fellow doesn't even come close to understanding the physics, so I was trying to point out the steep rise in thrust needed to push through the sound barrier.

I realize this, but this fellow doesn't even come close to understanding the physics, so I was trying to point out the steep rise in thrust needed to push through the sound barrier.

Not to mention the different shape needed to go supersonic. Certainly a CJ isn't a supersonic-capable aircraft in real life -- it would be destroyed before reaching mach 1 (even in a dive), and if they model it even close, then it's that way in the sim too.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

The beauty of sims is that people can do all sorts of things that can't be done in the real world, including making a plane fly faster than the real life equivalent could. As the OP notes, this was possible in previous sims and would like to do so here. Does anyone here have an answer on how to do this in MSFS?

The answer is still the same, to increase speed you lower drag and increase thrust. I have not seen any supersonic flight at this point in FS2020. I don't know if Asobo has yet implemented the capability? If the other person wants to post the .cfg file as an attachment, I would be happy to edit it, but it may be the sim is capping at 0.95 mach at this point, because the physics are not completed???

I have not seen the new .cfg files. Why don't you attach a copy of the .cfg file only and I will take a look and I would be happy to edit it for you. Although I have yet to do a FS2020 file, there are dozens of files here in the library that use my flight dynamics in FSX and FS9. I don't know if the new program uses a paired file like the FSX .air file, which should be also edited??

I will be happy to edit for you but I would like you to send the file as an attachment to your reply to this thread. There are some procedural things I would like you to do first. It may sound picky, but it will ultimately save you great grief later on.

If you have two drives (HD or SSD or M.2), go to the one not the C: drive. You may only have a C: drive? If you have a second drive it is best to create an unzipped folder there. If not, you can create it on your C: drive. Now under the unzipped folder create a subfolder called edits. Now go back to your .cfg file and copy it to memory (right click and copy will be about 2/3 down the option list). Now go back to your edits folder and paste the file into the edits folder. This is important, because we are dealing with a new program which we don't yet fully understand, which may result in unintended consequences. This way you still have a good uncorrupted file still in place.

Now right click on the file, and drop down to "send to" and go to compressed file. You may also do this with a program for creating .zip files. This should create a zip file containing the .cfg file.

Now when you reply to this thread, go to "go advanced" options and you will find attachments. Put the .zip file you created as an attachment to your reply to this thread.

After I edit the file, I will reverse the process and you can move the new zip back to the edit folder. Before you move the unzipped file, create a temp folder inside the aircraft folder and move the old file there. Now you can move the edited file into its place. This preserves the original file so it can be restored if this creates an unintended consequence or you just don't like the result. Keep in mind, this program uses a very different flight model than FSX or FS9, so we don't know if strange or undesirable issues may result, such as uncontrollable porpoising or severe yaw. It is very important that you preserve the original file to be able to restore!!!