Ram speed question for MSFS

Ok, I probably know this answer, however, here goes :)

DDR4-2128 is what I am running now (32 gigs)

Would it make a difference to put in DDR4-3200? 32 gigs

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Two part answer. If your MB will recognize the XMP specification and use it, it might make a difference.

Second, if you are having load lags, it might improve if you don't have a bottleneck in the other hardware.

Look at memory speed testing of MSFS on Tom's Hardware.

If someone is doing a new build, it is significant enough to consider. If you are running acceptably as is, it probably isn't worth the effort and expense.

Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I have 64gb DDR4 3600mhz ram.

In my quest to find the cause of my CTD’s the other day, I went into the bios and disabled XMP.

I still haven’t re-enabled it, but I can’t say I’ve noticed any difference. I thought it seemed to take a little longer to load but I might have imagined that. Certainly no noticeable difference in MSFS

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I don't know if it makes a difference, Steve, but I have been running XMP (but at lower level (3000 speed low latency (15) ram)) all along and except for the VFR map issue, I have not had any problems.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I don't know if it makes a difference, Steve, but I have been running XMP (but at lower level (3000 speed low latency (15) ram)) all along and except for the VFR map issue, I have not had any problems.

Ok, thanks for that. I’ll put it back on but at a slower speed & see how it goes.

Cheers

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

I started with 16gb @2400 Cl16 when I installed msfs and never had any ctd’s. I have since upgraded to 32mb @3000 cl15 via xmp to get the speed and it’s still solid in that respect. I’ve not yet seen above 14gb use from the game so I suspect 32gb is more than enough.
System: I7 8700k 3.7Ghz, RTX3070 inno3d iChill X4, 32Gb 3000Mhz Corsair Vengeance RAM, 2 x 1Tb ssd, 1 x M.2 ssd, 1 x 250Gb ssd, 32" Gigabyte monitor, Thrustmaster T.16000m controller

If you have 32 GB RAM, what should the page file min/max size be for the drive that contains MSFS?

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

If you have 32 GB RAM, what should the page file min/max size be for the drive that contains MSFS?

Unless your page file is taking up too much space, I would just leave it alone. I would also leave it on the C drive as well.

I agree, supposedly Windows 10 will auto optimize page file size over time. The traditional answer here is 4 and 96 GB but that may be just wasted space, unless there is a problem let W10 do its job!

The MSFS support page FAQ has an article "How to Improve the Performance" which recommends increasing the virtual memory (Pagefile) on your system. It says under advanced system settings to uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" and enter a custom size in the minimum and maximum fields for the drive containing MSFS according to the physical memory present. So, are you saying that would be 4 GB and 96 GB for 32 GB of RAM? But, it would be better to leave these advanced settings as system managed?

My system lists virtual memory paging file size as 4978 MB for drive C and none for drive D. MSFS is contained on drive D.

Edited by Art_P

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Art, the traditional thinking was minimum ram/8 and maximum ram x 3. That would be 4GB and 96GB. I am just letting W10 manage it at this point and have not had a problem? My suspicion is this might be more important for someone with an 8GB ram machine and there will be diminishing returns as you have ample memory??

The MSFS support page FAQ has an article "How to Improve the Performance" which recommends increasing the virtual memory (Pagefile) on your system. It says under advanced system settings to uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" and enter a custom size in the minimum and maximum fields for the drive containing MSFS according to the physical memory present. So, are you saying that would be 4 GB and 96 GB for 32 GB of RAM? But, it would be better to leave these advanced settings as system managed?

Had a look at the FAQ and it says to set a custom size on the drive with Windows, aka your C: drive. While it is a little vague, it looks like they recommend setting the min and max size to match the amount of physical RAM you have. In your case, that would be 32 GB. I'm a little skeptical that this is going to do much in your case with 32 GB of RAM, especially if your C: drive is an SSD. It might be more relevant for those with 8GB of RAM, or less. If you want to see how much your system is using the page file there are guides around that can walk you through

Once upon a time the recommendation for the page file was to set the min and max at 1.5x the amount of installed RAM. This was mostly because PCs didn't have nearly as much RAM as they do now, and the hard drives where the page file lived were slow. Setting a fixed size helped prevent fragmentation.

What has Windows set for the page file on your system right now?

What has Windows set for the page file on your system right now?

I've attached a screenshot of my settings. The "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is unchecked only so I could get the screenshot with the selected drive lettering visible. Windows, misc. programs and data are on a 500 GB SSD M.2 C:, and MSFS is on is on another 500 GB SSD M.2 D:

virtual memory.JPG

I've attached a screenshot of my settings. The "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" is unchecked only so I could get the screenshot with the selected drive lettering visible. Windows, misc. programs and data are on a 500 GB SSD M.2 C:, and MSFS is on is on another 500 GB SSD M.2 D:

Looks like Windows doesn't see much need for a large page file on your system. Windows has gotten better over the years when it comes to memory management. I would just it leave as system managed.

Edited by loki

Okay, thanks.