Multiple windows; Recording of flights

Hi everyone,

When I use to fly FSX, I used these two helpful features:

One of them made multiple windows available. That way, you could see an external view of your aircraft at the same time you were looking at the cockpit view. Does this feature exist in FS2020?

Also, you could back up to see the last 30 seconds, 60 seconds, five minutes -- whatever you wanted -- of your flight. This was useful to analyze how well or poorly you just did in a takeoff or landing, for example. Does this feature exist in FS2020?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

The only separate windows available at present are for instrument screens such as the G1000. Pop them out by using the right alt key (alt gr)on your keyboard whilst clicking on the instrument screen.

The other feature you mention, replays, is currently in development.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hi everyone,

When I use to fly FSX, I used these two helpful features:

One of them made multiple windows available. That way, you could see an external view of your aircraft at the same time you were looking at the cockpit view. Does this feature exist in FS2020?

Also, you could back up to see the last 30 seconds, 60 seconds, five minutes -- whatever you wanted -- of your flight. This was useful to analyze how well or poorly you just did in a takeoff or landing, for example. Does this feature exist in FS2020?

Thank you.

Stanley

They should have closely aligned MSFS with FSX it would have been MUCH better.

Hi everyone,

learpilot, I agree with you. FSX had features that FS2020 lacks. The graphical presentation with FS2020 is beautiful, and perhaps eventually certain features from FSX will be reincorporated into FS2020.

stinger2k2, thank you for your reply. I am very glad to learn about popping out a window using the right Alt key. I didn't know about that, and I am glad that you told me and others about it. That capability is very helpful.

Thanks to everyone.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I have now had an opportunity to use FS2020 quite a lot, using several different aircraft.

I love many aspects of the program. But I really wish that it would include the opportunity to open multiple windows along with a recording function. These two features are crucial to improving one's takeoffs and landings.

Stanley

There is a real reason why multiple windows are not available. Most user's GPU is pretty much working at its limit as is unless you are on low settings at 1080p. Adding additional windows and recording all take up processing capability, which isn't unlimited. I know, some folks have an RTX 3080 and could run an extra window, but they have to write the program to work on a wide range of equipment, not just write features only 14 people can use. When the hardware capacity to use this feature is widely disseminated, it will probably be implemented.

I know I don't want to sacrifice the great graphic quality for a feature I can live without. When we get the YTX 4070 and the I7-11860, then they can start adding a bunch of overhead.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Hi plainsman,

Regarding multiple windows, that's a very good answer. It explains a lot. Thank you.

How about a recording feature? You and everyone understand what I am talking about, right? I would like to record the first or last, let's say, five minutes of the flight, so that I could see how well I took off or landed. Wouldn't that be feasible? I don't know. I am genuinely asking.

Stanley

A recording feature will come (as will multiple monitor support) but we may have to wait a while.

I particularly find a recording feature is an ideal way of demonstrating flight sim to family & friends, especially in VR. They can sit back and enjoy my pre-recorded flight. We know VR is coming in the next few months, so hopefully a recording feature will also arrive soon.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Again, I think the constraints of complexity and processing load are demanding they limit features at the outset. They are already struggling to match the complexity with a wide variety of hardware. Adding more complex features just makes it harder to sort out quirks and glitches that inevitably come with a major rewrite. Again, I expect when the DX12 version comes out that allows more distributed processing, more complex features will be added. We are only two months in now. They just want to nail down the basic functions first.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

OK. Thank you for your good, clarifying answers.

The program is complex -- that's for sure.

I will just be patient and wait for things to develop.

Since the inception of the Flight Simulator series, one of the clandestine motives for the program, was to move people into more sophisticated hardware. One of the best incentives for creating FS2020, is to move a large number of users into 1440p and particularly, 4K. Hardware to support 4K is really at the edge with current GPU/CPU constraints. You can rest assured all the hardware vendors are going to be developing hardware that will comfortably drive 4K equipment at a mainstream level (I5 CPU/60series GPU). Edited by plainsman

There is a real reason why multiple windows are not available. Most user's GPU is pretty much working at its limit as is unless you are on low settings at 1080p.

They have said multiple monitor support is coming have already started work on it. I doubt performance was the main reason it isn't here yet, and probably more to do with simply having a lot of functionality to build out.

Hi everyone,

learpilot, I agree with you. FSX had features that FS2020 lacks. The graphical presentation with FS2020 is beautiful, and perhaps eventually certain features from FSX will be reincorporated into FS2020.

They are building in the functionality from previous sims, but it takes time. Look at any major application re-write and you will often see the new version takes a while to get every feature and function back. FSX was the culmination of multiple versions that came before it, with each building on the previous one, for example. It didn't just appear with everything written from scratch in the couple years since FS2004 came out.

Follow the official development road maps to see what they're working on, especially the feedback snapshots.

https://www.flightsimulator.com/october-22nd-2020-development-update/