Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So, after many, many years of resisting FS2004..

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BobSeaman View Post
    Read my first post, again.

I'll install 9.1 and the "no CD" patch after I get the A2A package installed. From what I've read and experienced so far, A2A made their installer very picky in terms of what FS9 is called and where it resides.

I'm still curious about why people say to install directly to the main drive instead of using the Program files (X86) folder?
    What's the reason for avoiding the (X86) location? I have games installed there and also in the main directory and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    installing the FS9.1 update after installing an addon is almost always a bad idea. the patch overwrites some of the default files and if an addon has messed with them in any way the patch will not work. definitely get the patch in first. I've installed A2A products after the patch and never had problems.

2. Default

So, I've got everything installed and running. Thanks for the install tips, eveything is running smooth although its running at 25 FPS but I guess I'll live with that.
    Got the A2A WOP CD installed after doing fiddling.
    Otherwise, I'll give it some time to get past the normal "day one hiccups". I want to try loading some of the FS2002 global weather files I uploaded to see if they work in FS9.

Remember what you install, & always install to a temp directory then copy over, just in case things do not work, & you have to find & delete the problem child.

In fact, copy & paste the complete working install to a safe place. That way it's easy to copy & replace any problem files.

Enjoy!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

4. Default

Things are going fine except for one hassle:
    Turning on scenery.
    I've had mixed results with some MAIW scenery and traffic packages, some install OK. Some just don't.

What the heck are the specifics for turning on scenery that gets installed in the Add-on Scenery folder?
    I get to the scenery screen fine, and I can select the right folder but it feels like I'm missing something.
    Do I select just the main folder or do I need to go one more step and select that folder's scenery folder?

Settings, then Scenery Library, then Add Area, then Addon Scenery
    Then select the scenery that you want to add then OK
    Now comes the interesting part.. that scenery file will open,

Left click anywhere in the white, underneath the Scenery & Texture files...
    No need to click OK
    It will now be added to the library

By the way, the new scenery does not have to be in the Addon Scenery folder. It can be anywhere.
    So, when adding the new scenery, just tell the library where to find it.
    I'm sharing scenery from one of my installs with a couple of my other installs.
    It saves space & works like a charm
    Last edited by zswobbie1; 10-20-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

6. Thumbs up

Well, ain't that a messed up way to run a railroad. lol

Thanks again, I had a pretty good way to install scenery and mesh in FS2002. Little did I know I had to click the white spot.

Speaking of mesh, in the good old days you could just jam it in the main scenery folder. Where do you install it, and do I need to activate it like regular scenery?
    Last edited by BobSeaman; 10-20-2020 at 02:06 PM.

Same way. you might have to move it down the list.

That white spot clicking thing was first seen with Windows 7, I think, if I remember. Still foxes me, occasionally, after a long break. 'shrug' joys of simming..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post

That white spot clicking thing was first seen with Windows 7, I think, if I remember. Still foxes me, occasionally, after a long break. 'shrug' joys of simming..
    You are correct! Windows 7 introduced the whole "run as administrator" thingy too.
    To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

I luv it when Windows tells us what to do, & nags at us when we dont listen..

UAC, as an example, no use at all, & I've always had it right down.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post

I think I found the easy way to do mesh without 500 different levels.
    MAIW uses a separate Scenery folder inside the Addon Scenery folder for their local mesh files.
    I tried some nice (and fairly huge) mesh for both Koreas and just plunked the BGL in there. No problems.
    Then added 9 BGLs for New England and it still isn't squawking.
    Like I wanted, i don't need to enable each BGL.
    Oh, also got my old favorite GPS (ACS-GPS) to work for both FS9 and FS2002. Its handy when you want to feed the auto pilot without using a flight plan. Also having some mixed results with a REALLY old school (FS for Win 95) GPS that shows distance and bearing to your selected co-ords accurate to 1/10th of a mile. The gauge works fine but FS9 tries to make it invisible or else shut it down, then it pops back into existence on the 2D panel .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast