Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: So, after many, many years of resisting FS2004..

1. Cool So, after many, many years of resisting FS2004..

I have the "tin box" set being shipped.
    I have no intention to give up on FS2002, but recently I was able to buy the A2A CD for Wings Of Power (B-17s, B-24's, B-29's) and, while I'm good at this, I just couldn't break A2A's install program.
    That, and I was curious about some stuff like FS9's "light box" (it doesn't seem to work as well as FS2002) plus I wanted to check out some VC's that just don't load in FS2002 ( I'm looking forward to doing some pattern work around Elllsworth AFB in the old Virtavia/Alphasim B-1's virtual cockpit).

So, what's the best way to do a fresh install of FS9 on a Win 10 (64 bit) system? I need to keep it bone-stock to install the A2A aircraft (at least, at first) so that means not installing the 9.1 patch at first.

Is there REALLY a difference to installing FS to the Programs (X86) folder (default) or should I concentrate on installing directly to the main drive? Will Win 10 flip out over the CD being installed or will I need the "no CD patch"? I get by just fine with FS2002 installed in the Programs (X86) folder and haven't needed to move it.

Feel free to weigh in. This is one of those "first world" problems. I already have a ton of US WWII bombers installed in FS2002 and most of my aircraft were designed for FS9 so this is one of those "OK, I'm bored" exercises.

2. Default

Welcome aboard Bob!
    What are your system specs?
    Mark Daniels

3. Default

I'm running a fast i3 CPU (3.9-something GHz clock, stock) with a very cheap (no cooling fan needed) GPU and I have a ton of free space on my HD.
    With FS2002, this means I can run with all of the sliders maxed out at 1920X1080 resolution and I have the frame rate locked at 60 Hz.
    FS2002 tends to run very smoothly for longer than 12 hours at a time, if its needed. Honestly, I'll give up before the computer does.

OS is 64 bit Win 10 and I have 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM. I'm not worried about specs, I just want to set up FS9 so its "right". My FS2002 install looks a bit like a salvage yard after 5+ years on this machine (lots of mesh/land class, maxed AI traffic, 1,500 planes in the Aircraft folder at last count, lots of scenery/AFCAD additions, etc).
    To be honest, I'm not really expecting to do the same thing with FS9. At least not for a while. Maybe add a bunch of mesh/land class and some scenery I always wanted to check out but mostly fly some of the "unobtainium" planes I couldn't convert back to FS2002 (looking forward flying some old Alphasim FS9 planes, the KBT P-3 Orion, and the LIC Christen Eagle).

There is a post on top of the FS2004 forum, on how to install into Windows 10.
    If it installed in default, it will not work, also, the 9.1 update & patch is mandatory.

Why do you not want the updates?

If you have not read it yet, here goes..
    1. Install into C:\ NOT into it's default C:\Program Files
    2. Install the 9.1 updatel
    3. Install the 9.1 nocd patch
    4. Right-click the FS9.exe, select Properties
    5. Select Compatibility mode, & select XP
    6. At bottom, then select 'Run as Administrator'
    7. Double click the desktop icon

Point 5 may be optional, if it does not work.

Welcome to our beloved 17 year old sim, that is still supported by great developers.

Nice specs on your PC, but you must remember that the sims, FS2002 & FS2004, are 32bit games and will only address 4GB of RAM, including the RAM of your graphics card. That's what normally happens when running 32bit games in a 64bit OS.

Myself, I have 8 separate & themed versions of FS2004. Golden Wings, Heritage, Alaska, Vintage, Space (?) Ford Tri-Motor, (amazing GW stuff there) & a couple of others, to keep the installs manageable, without scenery conflicts.

Anyway, have fun & there is no reason as to why you will not have the same, if not more fun with FS2004.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by BobSeaman View Post
    so that means not installing the 9.1 patch at first.
    You really should get the 9.1 patch as it does nothing other than fix a few problems with FS9 after initial release. The NOCD patch is a must as due to changes in Windows FS9 will no longer launch using the CD.
    Mark Daniels

Well said, Mark!
    Gotta have both the update & NOCD patch..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Always glad to have another FS9 user for whatever the reason! If you ever consider to populate it with ai one good thing over FS2002 is the ability to have multiple ai flight plans instead of having to recompile the sole flight plan file every time. It makes keeping track of things much easier.
    To view my repaints and other stuff just click on the image below!

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    Why do you not want the updates?
    Read my first post, again.

I'll install 9.1 and the "no CD" patch after I get the A2A package installed. From what I've read and experienced so far, A2A made their installer very picky in terms of what FS9 is called and where it resides.

I'm still curious about why people say to install directly to the main drive instead of using the Program files (X86) folder?
    What's the reason for avoiding the (X86) location? I have games installed there and also in the main directory and it doesn't seem to make any difference.

9. Default

I'll install 9.1 and the "no CD" patch after I get the A2A package installed. From what I've read and experienced so far, A2A made their installer very picky in terms of what FS9 is called and where it resides.
    The 9.1 patch was released around 3 months or less after the game. Almost everything available was created to work in FS9.1.
    FS9 is called FS9 be it FS9.0 or FS9.1.
    The installer should install perfectly into FS9.1 regardless where you install FS9 itself. At worst you will have to navigate the A2A installer manually to where you installed FS9.

I'm still curious about why people say to install directly to the main drive instead of using the Program files (X86) folder?
    What's the reason for avoiding the (X86) location? I have games installed there and also in the main directory and it doesn't seem to make any difference.
    This is a must and the best method to avoid problems. FS9 was created for Win XP Program Files and not Win 10 Program Files which now works very differently.
    A program doesn't need to be installed to it's default location. If it did, you wouldn't have the option to choose another location.
    Mark Daniels

Just one of those things.. Microsoft, in their wisdom, in Windows 10, made the Program files (X86) folder a 'protected' area & it is painful, if not impossible to edit any files that are there.

Normally, the 9.1 update & patch must be done, before anything else, in order to get FS2004/FS9 to work. You add-ons, A2A or anything else go afterwards.

By the way, I have never had an A2A install issue & I have all of the A2A's.

Now, IF the installer moans about installing into another directory & not the default, simple... Just tell it to install into the default, then copy all over into the install that is in C:\

If the installer will not install, this happens, occasionally with very old installers, copy the installer exe to the desktop, right-click & run in compatibility mode & as Admin.. It will work. I've had to do that about twice, over the last 5 years that I've been running Windows 10.

It is actually quicker to do than to explain.

By the way, I have a complete FS9 install on my portable hard drive, that I just copy & paste (renaming of course) when I install multiple FS9 installs, I have 8..
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast