Crosswind and Runway Assignment

Honus

I've noticed that when utilizing crosswind runways, the runway assignment disagrees with the wind direction. Example, at LIRF (Rome) I have all runways in use (16/34 L,C,R and 7/25). On my approach, the wind is 283@11 yet I'm assigned toland on either 16 L/C/R or Rwy 7. This contradicts landing more into the wind. I noticed the same thing at KJFK and KDEN. Is this just the tradeoff for having all runways active? If I don't use crosswind rwys, the landing assignment agrees with the wind direction.

By definition, crosswinds are not aligned with the runway, so if they agreed it wouldn't be crosswinds. But rwy 7 wouldn't be cross, it would be a tailwind. Did you actually get assigned rwy 7 with wind around 283º at 11? At 5 kts or less, that could happen in the real world, but unlikely at 11 kts. Of course rwy 16 would be crosswind. Edited by lnuss

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

By definition, crosswinds are not aligned with the runway, so if they agreed it wouldn't be crosswinds. But rwy 7 wouldn't be cross, it would be a tailwind. Did you actually get assigned rwy 7 with wind around 283º at 11? At 5 kts or less, that could happen in the real world, but unlikely at 11 kts. Of course rwy 16 would be crosswind.

The 'crosswind' runways are not real runways. But never mind.

I always thought that what are called 'crosswind runways' are runways which are crossing together and both could be used by AI traffic with additional invisible runways settings. Or am I wrong about that?

Bernard

You can say that. The crosswinds in the scenery program are the 'invisible' runways that allow all runways to be utilized. I'm now referring to how ATC directs landing and takeoff. They are supposed to go into the wind but often times, it directs just the opposite.

The 'crosswind' runways are not real runways. But never mind.

So far, your posts don't seem to make much sense to me.

The crosswinds in the scenery program are the 'invisible' runways that allow all runways to be utilized. I'm now referring to how ATC directs landing and takeoff.

It still isn''t making sense.

I always thought that what are called 'crosswind runways' are runways which are crossing together

Crosswind runways are runways that are not directly into the wind (headwind) or directly away from the wind (tailwind). Or sometimes the reference is to runways that are not into the prevailing wind.

But at this point, Honus seems to have something else in mind that apparently has nothing to do with real world aviation (or to an actual simulation of the real world), using a terminology that is confusing to me (maybe to others), perhaps something to do with add-on programs?

Since he said "never mind" to an actual attempt to help, I guess I'll let it go from here, but it sure is puzzling.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

So far, your posts don't seem to make much sense to me.

It still isn''t making sense.

Crosswind runways are runways that are not directly into the wind (headwind) or directly away from the wind (tailwind). Or sometimes the reference is to runways that are not into the prevailing wind.

But at this point, Honus seems to have something else in mind that apparently has nothing to do with real world aviation (or to an actual simulation of the real world), using a terminology that is confusing to me (maybe to others), perhaps something to do with add-on programs?

Since he said "never mind" to an actual attempt to help, I guess I'll let it go from here, but it sure is puzzling.

If you don't know what I'm talking about then quit commenting on it. It's not that important anymore. Sorry I brought it up.

I'm talking about runway assignment from ATC when utitlizing ALL runways via the FSX Xwind runways. The landing/ takeoff assignments don't match up with the wind direction. I thought this was a simple question but seems it's not. So let's drop it.