New guy can't turn the autopilot on from joystick

Rebrecs

Hi all,

I have been flying FSX. I recently purchased X-Plane.

I would have very likely started with X-Plane but my system couldn't deliver what X-Plane needed at the time.

Upgraded machinery and I'm just starting to poke around with X-plane now.

I was going through the setup for buttons. I want a button on my flight controls to enable/disable the autopilot.

Wow. There are a lot of sophisticated actions in the autopilot section. I was amazed.

But, I could not find the action for enable/disable.

Nothing as simple as enable/disable, on/off, or engage/disengage or even Arm/CMD - to name a few. -Nope-

I just want to be able to click the A/P off- from my yoke, when I'm 100 feet off the deck.

I wonder if anyone else has been down this trail? What am I missing?

TIA,

--john

Hi John.

Another one of those "smart" choices from LR, to be more realistic they force you to use the red button on the Yoke, or in some you can force / pull/push on the controls, use trim.. to disengage.

They also have Weapons but no AP as that is more realistic? Sometimes I wonder about these guys.

That is one of the things about the Assobo20 they did such a miserable job nobody from now on have to make any improvements, they practically killed Flight simulators it will no longer advance.

It depends on the acft you fly but for the C172 you can try to assign a button to "toggle servos" and see if it works.

Hi John.

Another one of those "smart" choices from LR, to be more realistic they force you to use the red button on the Yoke, or in some you can force / pull/push on the controls, use trim.. to disengage.

They also have Weapons but no AP as that is more realistic? Sometimes I wonder about these guys.

That is one of the things about the Assobo20 they did such a miserable job nobody from now on have to make any improvements, they practically killed Flight simulators it will no longer advance.

It depends on the acft you fly but for the C172 you can try to assign a button to "toggle servos" and see if it works.

Thanks for the ideas. I will try forcing the controls ("give me the plane, bitch!") I have flown some that give it up pretty easily.

Admittedly, and I did admit to being like day one on X-Plane- I had to look up "LR" and Assobo20. Based on a very quick cursory look, I think LR's strategy is "We don't need no steekin' feature developers. We need just enough S/W Dev to keep the model and the framework running. Other than that, the community provides features. So X-Plane keeps, and ships the best ones. Therefore, if somebody wants a disengage switch - let them do the code.

Researching Assobo20 was a different story. That one did not exactly pop right up. I figured it out though.

So, I'm checking out X-Plane because I will never have an instance of MSFS running here.

I'm not about telling others what they ought to be doing, just sayin', I won't be going there. Thus, my interest in whether it works, ever works, is exactly = 0.

Thanks again for the chat.

--John

• 2 weeks later...
Hi John.

Toggle servos is what you need to search into. You can assign a joystick button from settings -Joystick once you are in the program.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I have been flying FSX. I recently purchased X-Plane.

I would have very likely started with X-Plane but my system couldn't deliver what X-Plane needed at the time.

Upgraded machinery and I'm just starting to poke around with X-plane now.

I was going through the setup for buttons. I want a button on my flight controls to enable/disable the autopilot.

Wow. There are a lot of sophisticated actions in the autopilot section. I was amazed.

But, I could not find the action for enable/disable.

Nothing as simple as enable/disable, on/off, or engage/disengage or even Arm/CMD - to name a few. -Nope-

I just want to be able to click the A/P off- from my yoke, when I'm 100 feet off the deck.

I wonder if anyone else has been down this trail? What am I missing?

TIA,

--john

The easiest way I found was set a "quick look" to the auto pilot controls, (Ctrl + 1-9 numpad). Set your heading and altitude before take off, once 1000 AG toggle the heading and auto pilot automatically come on (Most Planes) and activates altitude as long as you have a steady VS, you can set that before take off as well. but you need to steady the plane before auto will take effect.

On landing, if you're not doing ILS approach, just toggle the numpad number you set up for quick look, and turn off auto pilot, or like mentioned earlier, mouse click the red button on the yoke, (not all air crafts). It's not hard, once you get use to it.

I think you can assign a "Heading button on your yoke for take off's".