pedals really needed?

I fly with just a CH Products Flight Sim Yoke...no pedals. I'm quite satisfied. Some would say "but thats not how it is in reality", to which I would reply "Thats right, its a computer simulation". I do not intend to really fly a plane, so I don't really care that there's no pedals in my set up.

I enjoy the simulation of flying around the world, low and slow.

Thats the great thing about the software, if you want a compleately realistic experience, you can do that.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

But how do you move to left and right, when you drive over the runway?

One thing you can do for the yoke is assign buttons to the L/R differential brakes. The CH Yoke has index finger buttons that can aid in steering tail draggers around.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

But how do you move to left and right, when you drive over the runway?

On my controller, I just twist the handle left or right as needed.

As pointed out, not realistic, but also as pointed out, it's a computer simulation. I like flying, I enjoy watching the scenery. This serves my needs :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

I now 'sim-fly' with the ThrustMaster rudder pedals that plug directly into my Logitech flight yoke system. FS20 recognizes them immediately and I set the sensitivity curve to suit the clumsy mashing of my over-sized hooves on the pedals - lol.

For a long time I happily flew previous MS flight sims and then FSX-SE with just a Saitek Cyborg joystick, then I upgraded my PC desk/cockpit with the yoke & quadrant to 'feel' much more like a real flying experience. MSFS 2020 has now added a whole new level of sim realism to my flight and the rudder pedals, while not 'necessary', ARE simply a fun extension of that make-believe flight world just like my 32" curved screen HD monitor recent upgrade is.

Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

I don't think pedals are absolutely necessary, to enjoy the sim, but they do offer a higher degree of control when taking off in windy conditions. I especially like using the pedals in crosswind landings, but when flying, I don't use them. I suppose there are ways to compensate for lack of pedals in setup of joystick and keyboard.

Personally for me, it's one of those things that once you start using them, you can't imagine going without, and it adds another level of realism.

Mike

Windows 10 Home 64bit / Intel i7-8700, 6 Core, 3.2 GHz / 32GB RAM DDR 4 / GTX 1080 OC / SSD(2) / 27" 165 Hz 1440p Monitor / Internet 805 Mbps down, 24 Mbps up