GPU - Do I wait?

DonC52

Hi Everyone,

I can't be the only one in this situation but I really could do with some advice.

I am new to the Flight Sim world and have decided to do things on my own, for example I am building my own PC. FS2020 is the reason I am doing this but I have hit a road block. When I set off I was going to buy a 2080 ti but of course that all changed when the 3080 came onto the market. Following the horror show that was supposed to be the launch of the 3080 I am left with all the other PC components and a big question mark as to what to do about the GPU.

Do I wait for the 3080 to become available? It could be a long time before a rookie like me can get my hands on one. Or should I buy the competitors product that is going to be released later this month, although I can't see that being any easier to buy than the Nvidia product.

You guys who already have a GPU and can still fly until the 3080 or 3090 become freely available are OK (maybe impatient but OK) but people like me who would have to buy a more expensive and inferior product to allow us to fly in the interim are between a rock and a hard place. I really do not want to have to wait until January or February.

If you were me what would you do? Please let me know, maybe one of you will come up with a plan that is workable for me.

Thanks

Looks like the new AMD GPUs will be announced on Oct. 28th, and their new CPUs on Oct. 8th.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16077/amd-announces-ryzen-zen-3-and-radeon-rdna2-presentations-for-october-a-new-journey-begins

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues between the GPU and motherboard or CPU. Probably the biggest point to watch is the PSU to make sure it is powered properly, though we need to wait for the launch to get any specific details. Other point to watch is physical space inside the case as some video cards and coolers are getting pretty big these days.

What resolution will you be running the sim at? If you aren't planning on running at 4k, you may not need the absolute top of the line GPU model.

I think it really depends what you want to do/expectations of the GPU performance.

I am in the same boat as you, have built myself a 3900x machine and am waiting and seeing before I get a graphics card. I already have a medium to low end one- an RX580 and FS2020 runs just fine at medium settings all the time at 1440p and not too badly at high settings.

As I say, it depends what you want to do. I want to play FS at 1440p, on one monitor, and alone. Others will want to do the same on two monitors or three, or 4k or whatever. Others will want ULTRA plus settings and then some. There are, and will be even more in the future, a LOT of things that people do with flight simulator.

My GPU is bottlenecking my flightsim experience for sure. If I buy one of these new cards coming out, for the foreseeable future, until direct x 12 support comes along, it will be my CPU that bottlenecks flightsim at 1440p.

I suppose my point is that with an app like FS2020 there is just so much too it on the processor and graphics side, that any setup is going to bottleneck someplace. For now I'm ok with saving my money and having the gpu as the bottleneck and playing at medium settings.

I have noted some of my experiences and observations here:

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?326336-I-built-a-pc-and-wanted-to-share-some-thoughts