U-Fly-It — the original flight sim!

Guest Rockcliffe2

Guest Rockcliffe2

This is how we old-timers flight-simmed back in the day!

I couldn’t convince my folks to buy me one of these so I “pirated” my own copy by rigging up a plastic V-tail Bonanza toy I had with fishing line and a wooden dowel as the control stick. It actually worked pretty well!

I had a similar one, it was a Phantom jet which landed on an aircraft carrier deck:

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

It was stuff like that got me hooked on flying! That and the fact my dad was a Navy jet mechanic for 25 years. I saw more aircraft through my formative years than most see in a life time. Dad is gone now...he passed away in his sleep this last January...he was 80. Thanks for sharing this with us...brings back good memories!

Cheers :)

Aaron

I remember the Vertibird too - my little brother had the Star Trek version:

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Wow, such a cool history lesson. I love watching old commercials, especially of the aviation/hobby type.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10