FS2004 Throttle Slider wiggling

TheRedBadger

Hi y'all,

Seem to be having a monthly issue with FS9 (yup, still with FS9). Throttle slider on the Logitech joystick is wiggling a bit and occasionally violently jumps several dozen N1. Tried playing with the sensitivities, but it seems like decreasing sensitivity reduces how much throttle you can ever get. Null zone doesn't dampen out those tiny vibrations either. Tried disconnecting and blowing on the thing too but no use.

It's definitely the joystick, as setting it to a certain throttle setting and then disconnecting it doesn't twitch the power at all. It just settles there perfectly.

Thoughts? Time for a new joystick?

Carlos Si

Which joystick? If it's an Extreme 3D Pro (or something similar), try cleaning the potentiometers. You'll need to be brave enough to open them. That will buy you some time... at least until your new one is delivered.

Best regards,

Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Which joystick? If it's an Extreme 3D Pro (or something similar), try cleaning the potentiometers. You'll need to be brave enough to open them. That will buy you some time... at least until your new one is delivered.

Yup that's the one. Guess I don't have a choice. New one is $50, throttle quadrant is $80. That or I learn to get used to using F1 through F4.

Familiar with FSUIPC helping out? I've heard it can smooth out issues like that.

Don't know if keys for FS9 are still purchaseable; also it's $24.

Edited by TheRedBadger
Carlos Si

Don't know if keys for FS9 are still purchaseable; also it's $24.

Check fsuipc.com its free for FC2004

Noice I got it registered.

Doesn't really seem to make a difference... argh the slider was fine just the other day! Why can't it just go back to normal...

Editing null zones does dampen the erratic behavior, but not all the way, and it also limits max throttle to about 80% in with the slider.

Carlos Si

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah that's kinda what I've been doing recently; just using the keys. It's just not as easy when I've been good at just micromanaging the slider and immediately going to a certain power setting as opposed to trying to bracket myself there with the keys.

Debating whether to a. fix the joystick pots. b. buy a new joystick c. buy a throttle quadrant.

d. I deal with it... pretty undesirable.

I used my old joystick for just the throttle but it's very bulky to have two joysticks on the keyboard, and then there are some issues I ran into in a few days with assignments... I think disconnecting either joystick resets a lot of stuff... ugh.

Thanks though, I'll decide on something.

Carlos Si

Decided to disassemble it, managed to replace the old slider pot with a new one from an old joystick (whose joystick axis were bad). Tips for anyone doing a similar job:

Getting the gears to mesh back to the way they were before was as bit hard. I advise looking at the calibration screen while on FS9 and observing how to set the slider and pot screw when attaching (slider all the way back should be rougly aligned with the pot gear indicating full deflection (red to blue visible) in the calibration screen). Then once that's screwed in, unplug and replug the joystick USB and calibrate. It should show a full-range deflection (if you don't do this you might not see a full-range of the throttle available).

Lastly make sure you check assignments and sensitivities as they may change (I had to set sensitivity back to full on the slider, and had to uncheck the "reverse" box on assignments). Otherwise your slider may not input to the sim correctly.

Carlos Si

• 2 weeks later...

One additional possibility...I had a similar problem while using a logitech joystick and throttle quadrant at the same time. Root cause was that both the throttle quadrant and the joystick had an active throttle lever; the sim would become confused as to which is to be obeyed. Solution was to amend the settings so that the throttle lever on the joystick commands nothing.

Nadlzfw

This probably won't fix the problem, but its a really painless thing to try.

Try unplugging and re-seating (re-plugging) the USB connections for your controllers. Sometimes the contacts can get nasty after being plugged in for a long time. Pulling then re-seating the connectors will clean the contacts.