Spoilers in the Caravan?

It appears that the Caravan has spoilers, but I cant see a lever in the cockpit and when I look externally I don’t see anything pop up.

When I use the joystick switch that I have set for Spoilers it certainly has an effect on airspeed. It would sure be nice if there was a way to confirm they were on somewhere because Now I have to keep my finger on that switch so I don’t forget I’ve got them deployed.

Anybody else notice this?

Cavu

The Caravan does indeed have spoilers, but they're only for roll control and can't function independently as speed brakes or ground spoilers. IIRC, they extend once you reach 5 degrees of yoke roll input...or something like that :confused:

Speedbrakes on a Caravan would sure be impressive, though! ;)

Thanks for the input. Have you tried the spoilers in level flight? I think they do actually reduce the airspeed. I must say that Ive used them on some approaches to airfields in the middle of nowhere and they’ve helped a lot. :D

Thanks for the input. Have you tried the spoilers in level flight? I think they do actually reduce the airspeed. I must say that Ive used them on some approaches to airfields in the middle of nowhere and they’ve helped a lot. :D

Caravan has assisted roll control, with spoilers assisting aileron roll. They are not used in normal flight, and use during landing is to be actively discouraged.

That's what FLAPS are for!

PaulCraig is correct. Caravans do not have spoilers to slow the aircraft down on landing like you see on some Mooneys and much faster turbo props. Therefore, there won't be a "selector" in the cockpit to activate them. The spoilerons function primarily to improve lateral control of the aircraft at slower speeds. The C208Bs I have flown over the years has that huge prop on the front that can literally slow the aircraft down in a hurry when the power lever is reduced significantly. It acts as a speed brake, if you will. The C208 EX, on the other hand, doesn't slow down as quickly. The first time I flew one, the instructor told me to pull the power back to idle while on short final. That was weird to me, but that's the difference between the aircraft.

JOE- Asus P8Z68- V Pro; CPU: Intel i7-2600K 3.4ghz OC'd 4.6Ghz,

8G Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3-1600, EVGA 1080Ti 11G ACX Cooler

Samsung 500G OS drive, 3 WD 1T Raptor HDD