A10 Thunderbolt II landing specs

bbouley48

I am flying a freeware version of the A-10 Thunderbolt II in FSX Steam Edition. Unfortunately it did not come with Spec or reference sheets. I do not have a problem taking off but would really need help with the Descent, Approach, ILS Glideslope and Landing speeds and flap positions. When I land I always come in hot even when I have full flaps activated.

The same info for the B17 would be great.....

If there is a website where I can get that info that information would be great also.

Thank you all in advance....

Regards and Happy Flying

Unfortunately I don't have any information or data for the A-10 or B-17. But here's a quick and dirty method that works for almost any airplane.

Not all flight models correspond perfectly to their real world counterparts, so using speeds from a real world manual can sometimes lead to flying too slow or too fast for the FSX flight model. Normal approach and landing speeds are approximately 1.3 times the stall speed in any given configuration. So you can try this method:

1) Set the aircraft weight for what you intend to land with (bearing in mind that your airplane likely has a maximum landing weght...i.e. don't land too heavy. Unfortunately I don't know the A-10s max landing weight).

2) Set the aircraft configuration that you intend to land with, usually landing gear down and the highest or second highest flap setting. This method will even give you a landing speed for zero flaps.

3) Go out and stall the aircraft. I usually turn on the SHIFT+Z data at the top of the screen to see the airspeed better. You don't have to take the airplane into a full stall. The warning horn or word STALL on the screen is good enough. Make a note of the airspeed.

4) Multiply the stall speed from Step 3 by 1.3 to find your landing speed.

It's a little more complicated than that in real life, but following this procedure for a new airplane will get you in the ballpark and keep you out of the weeds short of the runway. Hope it helps!

There's a few websites out there that have manuals that may contain the information you're looking for. You'll probably have a hard time finding publications for modern combat and commercial aircraft that are still in front-line service. Avialogs.com is one that has a pretty extensive library, including quite a few manuals for the B-17. The Pilot Training Manual should answer most of your questions.

Some info on the A-10 .

This link,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild_Republic_A-10_Thunderbolt_II

provides following data

Performance

Maximum speed: 381 knots (439 mph, 706 km/h) at sea level, clean[193]

Cruise speed: 300 knots (340 mph, 560 km/h)

Stall speed: 120 knots (138 mph, 220 km/h) [195]

Never exceed speed: 450 knots (518 mph,[193] 833 km/h) at 5,000 ft (1,500 m) with 18 Mk 82 bombs[196]

Combat radius:

CAS mission: 250 nmi (288 mi, 460 km at 1.88 hour loiter at 5,000 ft (1,500 m), 10 min combat

Anti-armor mission: 252 nmi (290 mi, 467 km), 40 nmi (45 mi, 75 km)) sea-level penetration and exit, 30 min combat

Ferry range: 2,240 nmi (2,580 mi, 4,150 km) with 50 knot (55 mph, 90 km/h) headwinds, 20 minutes reserve

Service ceiling: 45,000 ft (13,700 m)

Rate of climb: 6,000 ft/min (30 m/s)

Wing loading: 99 lb/ft2 (482 kg/m2)

Thrust/weight: 0.36

Also , check this video .....

A-10 Landing tutorial short video includes speed and flap info ,

Cheers

Karol

It's important to learn to use pitch trim ALONG WITH use of power (not at idle). Takes practice.

Chuck B

Napamule

i7 2600K @ 3.4 Ghz (Turbo-Boost to 3.877 Ghz), Asus P8H67 Pro, Super Talent 8 Gb DDR3/1333 Dual Channel, XFX Radeon R7-360B 2Gb DDR5, Corsair 650 W PSU, Dell 23 in (2048x1152), Windows7 Pro 64 bit, MS Sidewinder Precision 2 Joy, Logitech K-360 wireless KB & Mouse, Targus PAUK10U USB Keypad for Throttle (F1 to F4)/Spoiler/Tailhook/Wing Fold/Pitch Trim/Parking Brake/Snap to 2D Panel/View Change. Installed on 250 Gb (D:). FS9 and FSX Acceleration (locked at 30 FPS).

some more info.

44min walkaround video , both outside A-10 aircraft and inside cockpit ,

probably the best that you will ever see , a lot of detail info .

link;

At 34 to 36 minutes he details both Takeoff and Landing speed ranges .

Cheers

Karol