Downloading Nightmare and Much More

Downloading this game is a Nightmare and their Patches a further more. As you probably know, we who bought this, are the Beta Testers. Asobo never finished this to a level where things ran "fairly" smooth. The whole job is so full of bugs, a camel's ass has fewer!

So with glee everyone jumped into the pool. to find hours, days and even weeks for the download servers to punish the enthusiasm of so many thanks to Microsoft's incredible lousy servers which spend most of the time "looping" the download.

I commend the Graphics of the game, never before so beautiful and real. I ask, why not Start with these wonderful graphics and a "basic Flight Sim? not trying to cram everything ? even the most unneeded button of the panel of the aircraft? they crammed the whole thing to such a state that now tryng to sort out the thousands of bugs is their Nightmare and ours.

I wonder for how long will Asobo stand the whirlwind of complaints from so many, and wonder if we might not be looking at "Flight" Number 2? maybe in a few months Asobo will fix this thing to a sim reality, even with some bugs still around, or just close the dam thing and leave so many with their mouths open and surprised.

All the Sims have had bugs, but really? with all the Videos they put out telling us how great and wonderful things would be with this one?, airflow over surfaces, great planes, super controls, etc, etc....(Did you ever hear of the famous Old West Dr. Kool all cure medicine?)

For 49 years I fooled with software development and since my University days I learned that to finally finish a good software package you started by making small blocks and build over them the details to eventually have a sound product that, even thought a bug would jump here and there, it was fairly easy to catch it and solve the problem.

Asobo, as they themselves told us a few months ago, had programmers which had never flown a small plane, their boss said he had never flown one until they took the job. When I heard that I wondered and remembered that the "boss" of Flight had been in the "Playing card game software development of the botched Game". Don'i misunderstand me, you don't have to be a pilot for this, better if you are, but you must know real good stuff about flying, aircraft instrumentation, weather etc.., like my programmers in General Accounting programs, they din't get the job if they din't know accounting!

I sincerely hope Asobo or someone else, gets a grip of this mess and comes out winning with a nice product which all of us can enjoy. There will always be a "bug here and one there", just like the previous MS sims had but not the the magnified scale this one has.

I hope to be flying MSFS in 2021 in nice blue skies after the great storm passes or if it does not, I will do so in FSX or P3d like I do today.

Again let's hope for the best of both worlds.....

Downloading this game is a Nightmare and their Patches a further more. As you probably know, we who bought this, are the Beta Testers. Asobo never finished this to a level where things ran "fairly" smooth. The whole job is so full of bugs, a camel's ass has fewer!

So with glee everyone jumped into the pool. to find hours, days and even weeks for the download servers to punish the enthusiasm of so many thanks to Microsoft's incredible lousy servers which spend most of the time "looping" the download.

I commend the Graphics of the game, never before so beautiful and real. I ask, why not Start with these wonderful graphics and a "basic Flight Sim? not trying to cram everything ? even the most unneeded button of the panel of the aircraft? they crammed the whole thing to such a state that now tryng to sort out the thousands of bugs is their Nightmare and ours.

I wonder for how long will Asobo stand the whirlwind of complaints from so many, and wonder if we might not be looking at "Flight" Number 2? maybe in a few months Asobo will fix this thing to a sim reality, even with some bugs still around, or just close the dam thing and leave so many with their mouths open and surprised.

All the Sims have had bugs, but really? with all the Videos they put out telling us how great and wonderful things would be with this one?, airflow over surfaces, great planes, super controls, etc, etc....(Did you ever hear of the famous Old West Dr. Kool all cure medicine?)

For 49 years I fooled with software development and since my University days I learned that to finally finish a good software package you started by making small blocks and build over them the details to eventually have a sound product that, even thought a bug would jump here and there, it was fairly easy to catch it and solve the problem.

Asobo, as they themselves told us a few months ago, had programmers which had never flown a small plane, their boss said he had never flown one until they took the job. When I heard that I wondered and remembered that the "boss" of Flight had been in the "Playing card game software development of the botched Game". Don'i misunderstand me, you don't have to be a pilot for this, better if you are, but you must know real good stuff about flying, aircraft instrumentation, weather etc.., like my programmers in General Accounting programs, they din't get the job if they din't know accounting!

I sincerely hope Asobo or someone else, gets a grip of this mess and comes out winning with a nice product which all of us can enjoy. There will always be a "bug here and one there", just like the previous MS sims had but not the the magnified scale this one has.

I hope to be flying MSFS in 2021 in nice blue skies after the great storm passes or if it does not, I will do so in FSX or P3d like I do today.

Again let's hope for the best of both worlds.....

wow i didnt have one problem i mean it took 45 min to download but it did and runs perfect sorry u had such issues..

windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

OP - you are aware of the workaround using Net Limiter to restrict speed, if you are having issues downloading? 500KB/s seems to be the sweet spot. Once up and running be sure the first thing you alter in the programme options is setting your download speed to "Unlimited". That solved the file looping issue for me.

As to the rest, well there's not a huge amount they need to fix to make it more enjoyable for me personally. My main interest is in flying the heavy iron but with the 747 and even more so A320 being rather broken at present (don't have the 787) my thoughts now are to wait another two or three weeks and see what the next patch brings.

Essentially we watched all those "Oooo, Aaahh" video clips on YT prior to release and what we got was early access level software. In fact I might dare to say that DTG's attempt at Flight Sim World was probably in a slightly better way than MSFS is at present. Fingers crossed it will get sorted.

Vern.

I don't think the "bugs" are as bad as so many tout. The sim is quite different than FS2000-FSX in the way most things work, and a huge number of the issues are people that don't know how to operate it. The massive mistake was to fail to include a manual with detailed operational directions. The A320 does fly. ATC is pretty bad, and seems worse after the last patch. FMS is just not ready. But you can hand fly the A320.

Much of the GA material works quite well. The Cubcrafter is a nice aircraft to fly. It isn't "full of bugs", but ATC makes it feel that way.

I don't have your download problems, but I am running on an M.2 so my write speeds may be better, this doesn't work as well on a conventional HD. The total time for the last patch was about 35 minutes for two downloads.

320.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Same pretty positive experience for me too. I'm running the Deluxe Edition of FS20 on an HP Pavilion desktop with an I5-8400 CPU, 16gb Ram, a 1TB SSD for Windows and the game, a lowish end NVidia GTX1650 with 4mb. My XFinity internet connection gives me 100mbps.

Not enough to run on "Ultra" but more than enough to enjoy the experience substantially more than FSX-SE.. in my HUMBLE AND HONEST OPINION.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Asobo never finished this to a level where things ran "fairly" smooth.

I highly doubt anyone at Asobo thought the sim was ready for release on Aug 18th. More likely, some stuffed shirts at MS thought they were being "too meticulous" without knowing jack sh** about what's involved, and decided it was time for payday so they gave Asobo a deadline and announced the release date.

At that point Asobo most likely had to shift their focus from methodical development to jumping around from here to there trying to polish up some of the rough edges getting it ready for release. After release the screams and cries from the paying public most likely forced them to shift their focus even more in an attempt to appease Joe Customer, and methodical development went completely out the window. I'm sure for Asobo this has become a hair-pulling nightmare thanks to the financial end of MS' lack of knowledge and financial greed.

I don't think anyone should be mad at Asobo, they're working for wages, it's like any other big project, whether it's software development or road construction, where those in control ignorantly hinder those that are doing the work with stupid decisions. I've seen it happen a million times in my own career.

As for the downloading nightmare I completely agree. I simply can't download it. I have a monthly data cap of 50Gb. As I've detailed elsewhere I can purchase more bandwidth, but if everything goes perfectly I'm looking at around $280 USD just to download the sim and that doesn't include any updates. If I make it to 100 Gb and the connection drops for some reason (which is more likely than not) I just flushed 100 Gb @ roughly $3 USD/Gb down the toilet. I'm not even going to try.

Again, it's not Asobo that's playing the game this way, it's the stuffed shirts at MS. The subject of downloading difficulties has come up A LOT since the release but MS just thumbs their nose at those of us that aren't on perfect unlimited 100 mbps fiber connections for $60 bucks a month because we mean nothing more than a piddly $120 sale to them. It's a good thing I'm a white working class American male or I'd probably feel like I've been discriminated against. All they'd have to do is pay some flunkie half a day's wages to split the download up into manageable chunks, maybe 20 gb or so. If it takes three months to get all the pieces then so be it, once I have them all I can install the damn sim. If the connection drops on a 20 Gb download that's not such a big deal, I can re-download it, even if I have to wait till the next month for my data cap to renew.

I'm really having a hard time finding something to like about this new sim when I can't even install it and give it a try.

Can you play the sim using X-Box Game pass online without needing to download everything all at once? I ask out of ignorance about Game Pass, but just wondering out loud. Edited by chicagorandy

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Can you play the sim using X-Box Game pass online without needing to download everything all at once? I ask out of ignorance about Game Pass, but just wondering out loud.

Xbox Game Pass currently still requires you to download and install the sim just the same as if you bought it outright. The big difference with Game Pass is that you get access to 100 or more games that you can download and install.

The idea of streaming an entire game is what Google is doing with their Stadia system, and Microsoft is doing with their Cloud gaming feature being added to Game Pass Ultimate (formerly Project xCloud). Doesn't look like the sim is included in this just yet.

https://www.xbox.com/en-CA/xbox-game-pass/cloud-gaming/

As for the downloading nightmare I completely agree. I simply can't download it. I have a monthly data cap of 50Gb. As I've detailed elsewhere I can purchase more bandwidth, but if everything goes perfectly I'm looking at around $280 USD just to download the sim and that doesn't include any updates. If I make it to 100 Gb and the connection drops for some reason (which is more likely than not) I just flushed 100 Gb @ roughly $3 USD/Gb down the toilet. I'm not even going to try.

I'm really having a hard time finding something to like about this new sim when I can't even install it and give it a try.

Have you logged an issue through their Zendesk reporting? And maybe comment in the official forums as well? Probably the best way to get them to change this is to get it logged, and then get everyone in your position to also log it. It's unfortunate that potential users like yourself are cut out simply because you can't download it. Making the DVD boxed set available in North America would be another potential solution, though updates could still be an issue.

And something you may find useful to keep an eye on is Starlink's new satellite internet. So far it looks promising regarding speeds and latency, even matching some xDSL plans.

Recent speed tests by Starlink beta users found download speeds of 11Mbps to 60Mbps and upload speeds ranging from 5Mbps to 18Mbps. SpaceX, which has launched about 700 satellites and has FCC permission to launch nearly 12,000, is planning for up to 5 million users in the US.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/09/spacex-starlink-brings-internet-to-emergency-responders-in-wildfire-areas/

I don't think the "bugs" are as bad as so many tout. The sim is quite different than FS2000-FSX in the way most things work, and a huge number of the issues are people that don't know how to operate it. The massive mistake was to fail to include a manual with detailed operational directions. The A320 does fly. ATC is pretty bad, and seems worse after the last patch. FMS is just not ready. But you can hand fly the A320.

Much of the GA material works quite well. The Cubcrafter is a nice aircraft to fly. It isn't "full of bugs", but ATC makes it feel that way.

I don't have your download problems, but I am running on an M.2 so my write speeds may be better, this doesn't work as well on a conventional HD. The total time for the last patch was about 35 minutes for two downloads.

my a320 works perfect i bought the deluxe 2 days ago so far not i issue, yes i downloaded it to the same drive u did, im running twin rtx 2080ti, asus x399-e board amd threadripper 2990wx 32 core, oc to 3.9

windows 11, asus crosshair viii dark hero, 64mb g.skill d4 4000 ram, amd ryan9 5950 clocked to 4.3, noctua nh-u12s, asus rtx 4080 oc, 2x samsung 980 pro ssd 3tb m.2 nvme x3

I highly doubt anyone at Asobo thought the sim was ready for release on Aug 18th. More likely, some stuffed shirts at MS thought they were being "too meticulous" without knowing jack sh** about what's involved, and decided it was time for payday so they gave Asobo a deadline and announced the release date.

At that point Asobo most likely had to shift their focus from methodical development to jumping around from here to there trying to polish up some of the rough edges getting it ready for release. After release the screams and cries from the paying public most likely forced them to shift their focus even more in an attempt to appease Joe Customer, and methodical development went completely out the window. I'm sure for Asobo this has become a hair-pulling nightmare thanks to the financial end of MS' lack of knowledge and financial greed.

I don't think anyone should be mad at Asobo, they're working for wages, it's like any other big project, whether it's software development or road construction, where those in control ignorantly hinder those that are doing the work with stupid decisions. I've seen it happen a million times in my own career.

Again, it's not Asobo that's playing the game this way, it's the stuffed shirts at MS. The subject of downloading difficulties has come up A LOT since the release but MS just thumbs their nose at those of us that aren't on perfect unlimited 100 mbps fiber connections for $60 bucks a month because we mean nothing more than a piddly $120 sale to them. It's a good thing I'm a white working class American male or I'd probably feel like I've been discriminated against. All they'd have to do is pay some flunkie half a day's wages to split the download up into manageable chunks, maybe 20 gb or so. If it takes three months to get all the pieces then so be it, once I have them all I can install the damn sim. If the connection drops on a 20 Gb download that's not such a big deal, I can re-download it, even if I have to wait till the next month for my data cap to renew.

I agree. In my industry (automotive repair) management didn't even know where or how to put gas in their own vehicles, let alone have any clue of automobiles or repairing (and servicing) them. They would put together impossible procedures and steps that nobody could do and detracted from anything getting done. They had us doing everything except working on the vehicle, then complain that vehicles aren't getting done. Duh!!! It seems if you fail at everything else, have no skills or any product knowledge of what your company is doing, you get put into management!!!

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

The big mistake was going to asobo. They should of gotten as many of the original fsx developers as they could, and started from there. All they needed was a fsx with better scenery.

That's exactly what WOULD have happened in 2008 if Aces Studio were still around.

The sim would have gradually evolved over the years to where it is now.

It's a shock to get all those years of evolution all at once to many people.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I agree wholeheartedly we are the BETA TESTER.... That hit me last night!! I don't mind if we end up with a sim to die for

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Two days to download and now another two days to download the update? I have the fastest internet speed my provider gives me but still slow. Game is beautiful but not happy with other parts, such as controls. Glad I only spent $1 to try it out. Back to XP-11 which I am more than happy with.

Maybe next year after the bugs are ironed out and huge updates are not the norm.

Its called The Peter Principle, which is an observation that the tendency in most organizational hierarchies, such as that of a corporation, is for every employee to rise in the hierarchy through promotion until they reach a level of respective incompetence.

That's exactly what WOULD have happened in 2008 if Aces Studio were still around.

The sim would have gradually evolved over the years to where it is now.

It's a shock to get all those years of evolution all at once to many people.

I must admit to being surprised they didn't work with Dovetail (DTG) on the project, given they had tweaked the FSX code for the Steam edition and then further into the aborted Flight Sim World. OTOH, those of us with experience of DTG's train sim efforts know they are not exactly perfect either.

Vern.

I must admit to being surprised they didn't work with Dovetail (DTG) on the project, given they had tweaked the FSX code for the Steam edition and then further into the aborted Flight Sim World. OTOH, those of us with experience of DTG's train sim efforts know they are not exactly perfect either.

I suspect the reason is that DTG was essentially doing a more evolutionary update of the FSX code base, closer to what was done with P3D. Asobo started with the FSX code as well, but has completely replaced large parts of it and updated much of the rest. Not sure they would have been able to do much with DTG's code to support this. Also, Asobo had been working on the project well before the agreement with DTG was ended in 2018, and I'm not sure MS would have had access to DTG's code, at least not when MSFS was started.