Landing issues with MSFS 2020

I have thousands of hours in all of the MSFS versions over the years and I have never had as much trouble controlling the airplane when trying to land. I don't know if the controls are too sensitive or the wind effects while landing are exaggerated. When I try to yaw left or right the I almost lose control of the aircraft and the same thing happens with pitch. My questions are:

Am I the only one having this problem?

Does anyone know what is causing this?

How can I fix this?

Thanks form a frustrated computer pilot.

No you're not alone. The option is to play with the sensitivity setup of your joystick/yoke or edit the aircrafts config file to dumb the sensitivity down. (There is a post i read that tells you how to edit the cfg file)

Also check that you have the flight model set to "Modern".

I found the landing challenge good for both experimenting with the sensitivity and also for practice using the sims aerodynamics.

At the end of the day it is different to previous sims, possibly more realistic, who knows, i am not an experienced enough pilot to know how realistic each aircraft is.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Yeah same problems here and more than a little disappointing.

Spent AUD$100 on what appears to still be a beta product.

Like you, I also spent many hours, way back in FS1 days on my old Apple 2E, right to FS9 in 2008.

Also tried FLY and FLY2 during that long gap between FS9 and FSX, then following the demise of MSFS, on to XPlane 9 through 11.

All the various versions of MSFS evolved as they should, and that is that they got progressively better and better.

That means FS9 and arguably perhaps FSX were the pinnacle of product development, which begs the question of why fix what wasn't broken.

As it turns out, switching from FS9/FSX to MSFS2020 is bit like swapping your Audi for a model T.

Think I'll go back to XPlane11, at least it's stable

Hope this gets resolved

Been simming since Flight Simulator on the IBM PC in 1982. I am not experiencing your problems or perceiving them that way anyway. I've rediscovered the joy of properly landing an airplane again, with this one. The sensitivities are adjustable so maybe that's the issue you should tinker with.
Intel Core i7 10700KF (8-Core 5.1GHz Turbo Boost), RTX 3070 8GB, 32GB Dual Channel at 3200MHz, 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD. Monitor: Samsung C49RG9x. VR: Oculus Quest 2.

Been simming since Flight Simulator on the IBM PC in 1982. I am not experiencing your problems or perceiving them that way anyway. I've rediscovered the joy of properly landing an airplane again, with this one. The sensitivities are adjustable so maybe that's the issue you should tinker with.

Same here. My landings are much better in this sim than with the others. Add to that a proper yoke (Honeycomb Alpha) plus new pedals and throttle (Logitech) certainly help. Back with FS9 and FSX I would use the W key to get the big window view with the smaller instruments. Now its inside the cockpit all the time.

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

Anyone who complains about difficulty landing, or other plane handling, should include in their post what kind of controls they are using. In my experience, light planes are very controllable using a good quality stick or yoke and rudder pedals.
i7-10700K, ASUS Prime Z490-P motherboard, 32 gig, GTX 1080 Ti, 1TB M2 drive, Thrustmaster T16000M, Logitech Rudder Pedals , xbox controller.

Also use small inputs when maneuvering. Some people get "ham fisted" when flying. Throwing the yoke or joystick all over the place will cause over-control. That will always cause problems. Use slight, gentle inputs of the yoke and rudder pedals is required. If a slight input isn't enough just use a little more. I've noticed it doesn't take much rudder input to maneuver on the runway taking off and landing. Same for the yoke or joystick.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

these are the settings that I have found match my 172s handling in real life. it helps a ton with the landing control as well. set the same for any other joystick. For RUDDER PEDALS, set sensitivity -50% on both and add a 9% deadzone. this gives the most realistic result, as in real life Cessna's usually are a bit sluggish on the rudder. works well for the other aircraft as well. hope this helps.

fs2020 sensitivity.jpg

Try going into settings/assistance/piloting and there are settings about landing assistance if I remember right. If the general setting is easy, I think landing assistance is on maybe? Once I switched settings to hard, I could land easier.

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

• 1 month later...
I have thousands of hours in all of the MSFS versions over the years and I have never had as much trouble controlling the airplane when trying to land. I don't know if the controls are too sensitive or the wind effects while landing are exaggerated. When I try to yaw left or right the I almost lose control of the aircraft and the same thing happens with pitch. My questions are:

How can I fix this?

First, I'm pretty sure you are not the only one having that problem. I used a utility called Flight Recorder https://flightsim.to/file/8163/flight-recorder . I was able to replay the landing and view it from an external view. What I found was when using the FMC in the A320 the plane doesn't flair as expected. Instead, the plane touches down front wheel first. You can imagine the rest. Hope this helps, Happy flying.

these are the settings that I have found match my 172s handling in real life. it helps a ton with the landing control as well. set the same for any other joystick. For RUDDER PEDALS, set sensitivity -50% on both and add a 9% deadzone. this gives the most realistic result, as in real life Cessna's usually are a bit sluggish on the rudder. works well for the other aircraft as well. hope this helps.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]225376[/ATTACH]

many thanks!! will use your setting

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

First, I'm pretty sure you are not the only one having that problem. I used a utility called Flight Recorder https://flightsim.to/file/8163/flight-recorder . I was able to replay the landing and view it from an external view. What I found was when using the FMC in the A320 the plane doesn't flair as expected. Instead, the plane touches down front wheel first. You can imagine the rest. Hope this helps, Happy flying.

I think flair is done by the pilot after the "retard" voice to reduce throttles, unless its an autoland

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

How can I fix this?

Very much agree with you regarding the response of aircraft during the landing configuration in FS2020. It isn't your fault or your aircraft.

It appears that Microsoft/Asobo haven't bothered (or ran out of time..) to code the dynamic effect of wind properly. They appear to have "hard coded" some gusts and turbulence (which is not at all realistic) but otherwise your aircraft is effectively flying in a vacuum.

Maybe they should rename it Microsoft Space Simulator 2020. Whatever they call it - it isn't a FLIGHT simulator yet.

Cheers

TrafficPilotUK

One suggestion, I've had trouble with a twitchy elevator, most pronounced at slow speeds.

This adjustment helped, find the file "flight_model.cfg" for the aircraft of choice and find the line called "elevator_effectiveness= 1". I edited it to 0.1.

Takes a little getting used to on takeoff, but it seemed to help a lot maintaining a steady pitch on final.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I think flair is done by the pilot after the "retard" voice to reduce throttles, unless its an autoland

Yes, the flare is a pilot action, adding back pressure to the stick/yoke to stop the descent just a little above the ground, resulting in a nose high attitude. With power at idle, maintaining that attitude will let the aircraft gently* touch after a bit.

===============

* Gently if the level off in the flare wasn't too high.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 1 year later...
One suggestion, I've had trouble with a twitchy elevator, most pronounced at slow speeds.

This adjustment helped, find the file "flight_model.cfg" for the aircraft of choice and find the line called "elevator_effectiveness= 1". I edited it to 0.1.

Takes a little getting used to on takeoff, but it seemed to help a lot maintaining a steady pitch on final.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

I am going to try this. Lately on approach with my PA-28, I am dancing all over the place. Very frustrating, lol

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality