"Access to content servers is currently unavailable" message.

Good evening, where I am.

Is anyone else out there getting the message in the title. Image of the error window attached.

msfsinstallerror02.png

I have not been able to use the sim for more than 2 weeks now, since the update in mid September. I have reported this on Zendesk and received the following response:

"Hi Hal,

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. Our team is aware of the issue and is currently investigating.

We will come back to you as soon as we have found out the cause of the problem or if we require further information/files.

Best regards,

Microsoft Flight Simulator Support Team"

I have done the usual, tried a repair, no difference.

Tried an uninstall and reinstall but that made it worse, because of course I cannot access the content servers.

If I start the Sim right now I get into an endless loop of this error above with the option to quit or report to Zendesk. Clicking on QUIT logs me out of X-Box and tries to log me back in resulting in getting the above message again. Because I am using full screen, which I cannot change until I get into the Sim, I have to use Task Manager to shut the process down.

No fun on my end until a solution is found. If anyone has any suggestions short of reinstalling Windows, I am all ears.

Thanks, Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

Maybe it’s a network problem at their end. Don’t go nuclear quite yet!

Not even near going Nuclear yet. Just seems strange that a network problem would take this long to sort out.

I am patiently waiting for another update. I can get the required updates in the Sim but that is all. Sim updated to the latest patch, but will go no further.

Things will work out in the end.

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

It’s a pretty bad fault, but you’re not alone.

Just found several posts on the official forum about the same thing...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/why-are-the-conent-servers-down/274752

You’d have thought it was a priority to fix it wouldn’t you?

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

It’s a pretty bad fault, but you’re not alone.

Just found several posts on the official forum about the same thing...

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/why-are-the-conent-servers-down/274752

You’d have thought it was a priority to fix it wouldn’t you?

Regards

Steve

Looking at the number of votes in the thread you linked, it may not have be ranked as high as other bugs affecting more people, and thus it's not at the top of their list. I would recommend everyone that is affected by this to go and vote for it in the linked thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update to those who attempted to help.

I am again up and running as of today. One month without the new Sim. Glad I still had FSX installed.

Here is what I had to do today:

Log out of the Microsoft Store and the Xbox app.

Uninstall the Xbox app

Reboot

Download a new version of the Xbox app

Run MSFS as administrator and log in, which then downloaded the complete sim again. Then download all the extras.

I did not have to make any changes to my accounts, MS Store or Xbox.

Strangest thing is that I never lost any data, even though I removed the sim for a fresh install in the hopes that it would correct the issue. All my controller setting were still there, my rolling cache and my manual cache files are still all there.

Took a couple of flights and things working as good as expected.

Hal

No, the 'official' advice to fix this issue is to sign out of the XBox App (if installed), then sign out of the XBox Companion (if installed), then uninstall them, reboot, reinstall those apps, sign in to them etc. So, no, it seems it's something different. But what do they do?

To answer my own question: looking on the MS Store, the XBox App merely keeps you informed of new games and tries to make you part with yet more of your money. The Console Companion seems to be something to do with getting the Console to work with a PC, or vice versa. Anyway, nothing to do with Flight Simulator as such. This glitch seems to originate with the latest upgrade, and it's got to be down to MS/Asobo to sort it out.

To answer my own question: looking on the MS Store, the XBox App merely keeps you informed of new games and tries to make you part with yet more of your money. The Console Companion seems to be something to do with getting the Console to work with a PC, or vice versa. Anyway, nothing to do with Flight Simulator as such. This glitch seems to originate with the latest upgrade, and it's got to be down to MS/Asobo to sort it out.

now its wants me to insert the disc LMAO there is no disc

• 3 months later...

So I had the same exact issue. Stuck in a loop with MSFS20 asking me to login to my account, only to have it give a connection error. Tried it many times and get the same error as OP over and over again. I found the instructions for uninstalling XBox app and Microsoft store etc etc. No way, I'm not about to start uninstalling the heart of Windows 10 in attempt to fix one application. I felt something more local to the app must be going on. Especially since I did not set a data limit on my connection.

I found this little tidbit of info and gave it a go.

Step 1: Close Microsoft Flight Simulator and navigate to the UserCfg.opt file that you can find at the following location by default:

C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

Step 2: Open the UserCFG.opt file with Notepad, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and delete the following line

"C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages"

Step 3: Relaunch the Microsoft Flight Simulator

Step 4: Sign in with the Microsoft account used to purchase Microsoft Flight Simulator

Step 5: The "Set Up Your Experience" screen will appear again

Step 6: Make sure that the installation path points to the folder where the packages are installed

The next time I started MSFS, I indeed was prompted to confirm the install path. Since I didn't actually change it, I was able to accept the default. The installation manager took a little while going through and confirming the license on my installed components, but once it was done, I clicked "continue" and the sim started right up. Wahoo!

Hope this helps someone.

Did exactly as the above reply did. Got MSFS back BUT only had two aircraft! I had bought the premium version. What the hell do I do now? I'm not very computer savy. Help needed please!

Had same problem last night. 3 hours later I was able to get on.

With regards to the 2 aircraft, that part didnt happen. Had something similar a few weeks back and I went to content manager and it told me to download all that stuff again.

Good luck. It is a royal pain in the ass!!

....Signature not required for delivery....

**i7-9700k @ 3.60GHz, GeForce RTX 2070 Super, ROG Strix Z390-E, 32gb G Skill 3200 C16, 1 TB Pcie SSD, 850w Power**

**Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Logitech Throttle, Logitech Pedals**

Did exactly as the above reply did. Got MSFS back BUT only had two aircraft! I had bought the premium version. What the hell do I do now? I'm not very computer savy. Help needed please!

Check your Content folder and you may have them in there to be downloaded.....again!

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️