Repairing MSFS2020

How to repair MSFS 2020

i have a copy of Windows 10 with MSFS 2020 and few other prgrs on harddisk.

But repairing of MSFS 2020 looks to me difficult.

a couple of days ago, i needed a USB harddisk temporary for my other computer.

So, i unplugged it and used it.

After that back to its orginal place.

But most times a harddisk letter will change. ( i have lots more hanging on the computer)

so I would start MSFS2020, but nothing happens.

i investgated the problem and it looks that MSFS 2020 not only installs on my SSD C drive,

but also a piece on another drive. see picture

I think , when starting MSFS2020, the prgr looks in that small piece on a other drive, to that part.

I think it looks now to the wrong drive and don't start.

How to repair that ?

i have looked with a registry editor to the problem, but it is to complicated for me.

Is there a repair prgr ?

If i can't solve the problem , i have to install 10 dvd's again, what is very time consuming.

Frits Egelie

2020-09-29_19-15-48.jpg

strange thing was, or better is, that i could not copy windowsapps to another drive with Total Commander.

i will do that because MSFS2020 makes another nearly identical map on a other drive. But some submaps are empty.

With a external prgr , i succeeded and placed a copy on each drive i have.

Then started MSFS2020. Did it play:NO.

But there is some progression. Now by starting, I jump automaticly to the Microsoft Store page and invited to play. But that did not happen.

In the mean time i have placed a message to AERO.....

Frits

Edited by Frits Egelie

When MSFS first installs, it creates folders and files in the C:\Users folder. During install, it will ask you if you want to install to a different path. If you choose a differnt path, it still has to install some folders/files on your C drive, but they are used to point to your chosen path. Even so, you'll find quite a few gigs of data in your User folder. But the bulk of the install is on your chose path.

You may be able to repair the install by going to "Add or Remove Programs" in system settings, clicking on MSFS, then "Advanced Options" and try to "repair" the installation.

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

Stempski;

i did mainly install on my SSD C: drive.

I did n't know it uses also a small map on another drive.

It was a USB drive. the drive letter changed. Because of that i placed a copy of the last intact windowsapps on each drive.

I will now try your suggestion.

Frits

pitty..... less response then before. It does nothing, also not jumping to the store.

i see , i have a system saved(23-09-2020) with nearly only MSFS2020 on it. (144GB)

i go import it , and try again.

Edited by Frits Egelie

I think this thread illustrates a key point. This is a huge installation process that has a lot of attributes to prevent copy or pirating. Even if you are able to cobble a download to work on a portable drive or a USB device, the performance will be terrible. Save everyone some grief, and get a permanent SSD or M.2 and keep the program on that drive without changing drive name or trying to move it.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

mine MSFS2020 is totally installed on a permanent SSD drive.(512GB)

just imported a copy of a system with few prgrs but mainly MSFS2020. Save date was 23-09-2020

It is a good working copy.

But to day i made also copy of the registry with Registrar registry.

So , i could always return.

But i did not know that MSFS2020 uses or made a map WindowsApps.

It could be it is generated the first use, or it is made during installation of MSFS2020

I understand and i am not aiming at you personally, but for all those that might consider, "maybe i could?", don't!!! Either install the program on a permanent C: drive or a permanent C: drive and a permanent host drive (at install, the program creates a package wherever your Windows 10 is located, which is C: drive.).
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

EUREKA!!!!!!!

Stempski is right.

After repairing he suggested, it worked again.

But instantly it is updating.

Plainsman

i do always install my prgrs on the SSD C drive..

This is because i am user of Instant Rcovery.

So, it is easy to export or import windows operatingsystems.

Imported this 135 GB in 50 min.

I can delete the old one.

Frits