FS2020 Hawaiian Inter Island Honolulu to Hilo - Part 1 - EnRoute

BillD22

In this series we take a short A320 flight from Honolulu International Airport (PHNL) on the island of Oahu in Hawaii down to Hilo International Airport (PHTO) on the island of Hawaii aka the "Big Island."

Enroute we see some of the iconic island sights, other islands, and visual features of FS2020.

In a climbing turn out of the airport we can see some features of Pearl Harbor naval base in the background - Ford island in the harbor center and the masts of navy ships at piers along the right waterfront - and on the right side of the shot in the distance behind the airport runway the iconic outline of Diamond Head juts out into the Pacific.

Climbout.jpg

Passing the buildings of downtown Honolulu as we head east. If you look carefully you can see the squiggly road leading up to the famous Pali overlook.

Honolulu.jpg

Beginning our turn to the southeast abeam Koko Head the southeastern most point on Oahu.

Koko.jpg

The map inset in this shot shows our FS2020 generated flight plan and routing. I chose low altitude airways for this short 193 mile trip. ATC Gave us 9500 feet as a cruise altitude. Not very efficient for an A320. Using the FS2020 ATC we could - and probably should - have requested a higher altitude. We'll pass by the islands of Molokai, Lanai, Kahoolawe, and Maui on our way.

FlightPlan.jpg

Three of the said islands from the cockpit. Molokai to the left, Lanai ahead, and Maui in the distance.

3Islands.jpg

Passing Maui with Mauna Kea volcano on the right. Measured from its base on the ocean floor Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain on earth at 33,464 feet passing Mt. Everest by 4435 feet.

Maui.jpg

A closer wing view of Mauna Kea. The peak frequently has snow but not shown in FS2020 stock scenery.

MK.jpg

The Big Island of Hawaii ahead. Mauna Loa volcano - one of the worlds most active volcanos and the area of Hawaii where Volcanos National Park is located is in the distance ahead. Approach and landing in Part 2

Big Island.jpg

Edited by BillD22

In this series we complete our flight to Hilo International Airport (PHTO) on the Big Island of Hawaii and show off some of the ATC aspects of FS2020.

I'm busily taking screenshots so just be aware this approach and landing is being flown by the FS2020 AI.

Beginning our descent. The map inset shows the airport location in relation to the island's other features.

Descent.jpg

Expected approach instructions from ATC. The FS2020 ATC is very similar to FSX. The IAP for this somewhat rare DME arc procedure is shown on the insert.

IAP.jpg

Cleared for the approach

Tower.jpg

Inbound

Lined Up.jpg

Looking good

PAPI.jpg

Papi2.jpg

Touchdown! Main gear down, nose gear coming down, and spoilers starting to deploy.

Touchdown.jpg

Rolling out with spoilers

Rolling Out.jpg

Turning off the active

Turnoff.jpg

Taxi to the gate. Welcome to Hilo!

Ground.jpg

LF.jpg

Edited by BillD22

Nice shots! As most of my hours were in choppers I always want to stay low and enjoy the scenery. Well not chopper low, but way too low for one of my favorite planes, the HondaJet, to be happy either! That's why you most often see me in a low altitude GA aircraft.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Love the flight! Thanks for posting :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]