Activating the heading bug

Hi everyone,

I like to fly aircraft changing the heading with keyboard commands. In particular, I want to fly the ICON A5 because of its amphibious nature, and I want to steer it using keyboard commands.

Now, the you can increase and decrease the Heading Bug by using CTRL+Insert and CTRL+DEL, respectively. The problem is I cannot seem to find a command to activate the heading bug. I can see the heading bug move on the external compass, but I cannot get the aircraft to accept the heading command because I cannot activate the heading bug.

To summarize, therefore, how do you activate the heading bug? I would have thought that the Select Heading Bug command (Shift+CTRL+H) would do the trick, but it does not.

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

Hi plainsman,

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that the ICON A5 does not have an autopilot screen inside its cockpit. I am using all the autopilot commands just with the keyboard. That is fine with me, and indeed that is how I want to do it. However, the problem then is that I don't know how to put the autopilot into heading mode.

Do you know or does anyone else know how to do this, please?

Thank you.

Stanley

Intel Core i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 | Dell U2717D monitor | Thrustmaster T.Flight Stick X

Total available graphics memory: 24534 MB; Dedicated video memory: 8192 MB; System video memory: 0 MB; Shared system memory: 16342 MB

You need to set a control for Toggle Autopilot Heading Hold

Thank you, Stevemill, for your response.

But then, please, how do I set such a control?

Stanley

Thank you, Stevemill, for your response.

But then, please, how do I set such a control?

Stanley

Stanley, you just need to go into Controls for the keyboard. Make sure that it is searching for All, not Assigned. Search for “Toggle Autopilot Heading Hold” choose a key from your keyboard for it.

That should allow you to toggle Heading Hold on and off.

Cavu

Hi Cavu,

Thank you for the message.

I am confused. I have what I believe is a complete list of keyboard commands for FS2020, and I don't see that choice -- "Toggle autopilot Heading Hold."

I guess I need to do more than look for an existing command. I need to set one. And I guess I set it by going into Controls for the keyboard.

But I don't know what that means. How do I go into controls?

I am sorry to be so dense on this.

Stanley

Hi Cavu,

Thank you for the message.

I am confused. I have what I believe is a complete list of keyboard commands for FS2020, and I don't see that choice -- "Toggle autopilot Heading Hold."

I guess I need to do more than look for an existing command. I need to set one. And I guess I set it by going into Controls for the keyboard.

But I don't know what that means. How do I go into controls?

Stanley

Stanley,

From the Home page, or Welcome screen, click on 'OPTIONS',

Then look for 'CONTROLS', click on the controls tab,

Now look along the top of the window that opens, you should see your controllers. One will be labeled 'Keyboard'. Yo may have to scroll to the left somewhat to see Keyboard, depending on the number of controllers you have connected.

Click on 'Keyboard' to set your keyboard assignments. Look to the left of the window and look for the command list. Not sure of the heading of the drop down. It may say in the little window 'Assigned'. If so change it to 'All'

Now to the right look through the choices for the AutoPilot commands. Expand the list and look for 'Toggle Heading Hold'. Assign a key to this command.

Hope this helps.

Hal

Alienware Aurora R13, I7-12700KF, 16g DDR5 4400 memory, 256g NVMe boot drive, 1 - 2t NVMe m.2 drive for Apps, 2 - 1t SSD for Data, GeForce RTX 3080 TI 12g, Windows 11 Pro.

The problem is that the ICON A5 does not have an autopilot screen inside its cockpit. I am using all the autopilot commands just with the keyboard. That is fine with me, and indeed that is how I want to do it. However, the problem then is that I don't know how to put the autopilot into heading mode.

The ICON A5 does not have an autopilot, therefore no heading bug.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

Hi Hal and Art_P,

First, Hal, you blew my mind. I didn't know about all this.

So then I went in and did what you said, and I saw that Select Heading Bug is in fact already set, with the standard Shift+CTRL+H. It is under Instruments & Systems > Flight Instruments.

Thus, why isn't it working? Then Art_P answered the questions -- the ICON A5 does not have an autopilot.

Stanley

Hi Hal and Art_P,

First, Hal, you blew my mind. I didn't know about all this.

So then I went in and did what you said, and I saw that Select Heading Bug is in fact already set, with the standard Shift+CTRL+H. It is under Instruments & Systems > Flight Instruments.

Thus, why isn't it working? Then Art_P answered the questions -- the ICON A5 does not have an autopilot.

Stanley

Hi

Set it up anyway, for other craft and for other commands as you need them. It woks for any other controller.

Honestly - you really need a joystick and throttle if you don’t have one to play this, or at least a joystick like the t16000 with a built in throttle and twist handle rudder and 4 sets of three buttons on the base that you can use for selecting and changing the heading and vertical speed indicators.

The way I have mine set up is to have things