Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Article: Op-Ed: What Happened to the Flight Sim Community?

Just as the various Flight Sims are supposed to re-create the aviation world, so the associated forums are re-creating the real world!

I thought it was just me getting old and less tolerant of modern attitudes, but it seems I'm not alone.

2. Default

It is social media, it allows many to offer an opinion on subjects where facts are an inconvenience to them and brain cells an even rarer commodity. As Neil De Grasse Tyson says 'knowing enough to think you are right, but not enough to know you are wrong'. Many people today have their opinion and rather than debate and allow counter arguments, their extremism leads to the usual, 'you must be stupid because you dont agree with me' .

As for MSFS, I cant agree with you on that. There is more opportunity today to engage with the FS community to get things right and iron out issues ahead of any launch, indeed it can be done under Alpha Beta or whatever you want to call it, and whilst they put out a call to action, how many did they actually get testing it? From what I read on the forums they did not listen to the community when advised something wasn't ready. They sold the game on the back of the graphics and Im guessing those attracted to it may not have been FS enthusiasts, but more Xbox focused... hence disappointment with glitches. I am a FS enthusiast have been since the 90s and I am disappointed with the planes, after all it is a flight sim and if you cant use the planes (and some paid in excess of 100 gbp for it) then I have no issues with Asobo and MS being taken to task, as a FS planes need to work, this was not sold as an alpha or beta it was meant to be a fully working game. I thought we had got beyond the FSX days of crash after crash and third party addons not working or dive deep to find this folder and delete cfg file add this line and sort out wide screen blah blah... for me its not good enough. If you bought a 4g tv you might be a bit upset if it gave you the best picture you have ever seen but you could only get one channel and they told you they would add 5 channels every month in patches...
    Last edited by targetpractice2; 10-12-2020 at 02:54 PM.

3. Default

Indeed ... let us never forget why Mike Stone and others ended up leaving the FS community.

Blog Entries

I didn't want to comment here until others had a chance. I'm really glad to see so much interest in this topic, probably the most comments ever on a feature article.

So, now that we've commented on the problem, what can we do about it?

I don't think we can change the world, but we can change our own community. There's enough people who have actively commented here to make a difference, if they take a regular part in community activity, like our forums. 50+ people with a positive attitude, willing to listen to others, and posting answers and info that is actually useful would make this the best flightsim forum on the net, and attract other like-minded simmers.

Are you up for it?

5. Default

Pretty much on target. There are large groups of "newbies" buying flight sims because of being stuck in the house with the Covid problem. When these folks hit the forums with very basic newbie questions, the older members are perceived as being rude and impatient (including me). So lighten up folks. The new MS2020 is downright amazing compared to when I left it 20 years ago. Just enjoy yourself...

Absolutely agree. I recall my nephew asking why it was important to be polite (his Mum having just told him off for rudeness) and I explained that it is a social lubricant, that helps people get along. It worked for him. I hope it works for some of the ruder folk in our community.

Anyway, thank you for this and the other articles you have written. I confess I've not seen your YT videos, YT not being one of my haunts - but I rather think I will take a gander at them now!

7. Default

Indeed ... let us never forget that unwarranted criticism is one of the main reasons we lost Mike Stone as well as many others from our Flight Sim Community.

8. Default

Sorry everyone ... I just discovered that I posted the same comment three times ... must be pandemic senility setting in ... but this has been a good discussion ... take care ... and stay safe.

Personally, I don't see anything at all in the FS Community than in the general "internet community." You cannot have a rational discussion about anything, especially not social issues or political candidates or COVID. I had been looking for some electrical parts for something I was building and used amazon to search. After I found something it was unclear what was included so I posted a question..."does this come with the battery." I got two replies telling me I was an idiot, three telling me to "google it" and one suggesting I was a racist. The manufacturer replied that if I bought the product I would see what was included and what was not. Really?

But to get more directly to the FS Community, I think part of the frustration here is that while it is great to have a new product I had sunk well over $1,500 in joy sticks, multiple expensive add-ons like PMDG, add-ons to add-ons and various weather, lighting, ground effects, trees, tile enhancements and on and on. I enjoyed virtually all of them but, with the cost of a big computer and monitor at $1,800 I can't afford to invest in another one no matter how good it may be.

Obviously the vendors are jumping on the new product...they can sell you all their products all over again. This is a great opportunity for them to make more money. And they deserve everything they can get but I don't know how many of us can repeat the expenses to get the same product again. For instance, PMDG makes nice products and they put a lot of time and effort into them. But when I fly the 737NG from DFW to LAX 90 percent of that trip is looking at the cockpit and the weather outside. Yes it is nice to look at the airport and have animation products but I would essential pay again for something I already have. For that matter, to get a good quality experience now I need a new DFW and a new LAX and a new JFK, MAD, CDG, LHR, BCN, HKG, PEK, etc. etc. etc. etc. This is frustrating and I won't do it. Others already are and I know they are going to have a good experience despite the hickups, just like they did with FSX, X-Plane, Prep3d , or any other product.

Things are not going to get better. People are not going to read the post. They are going to call you racist. They are going to try to spam you. All you can do is try to have fun with what you have, don't obsess too much when something goes awry, even when you have paid a lot for it (three times), or just enjoy finding a work around.

Thanks for your post! (P.s. you should have googled this article first, trashed a few political candidates, screamed at some of your readers and demanded all the racist pigs die!).

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7