Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Article: Op-Ed: What Happened to the Flight Sim Community?

Great post, thank you for saying what needed to be said Mr Yorkies World. Some of us in the flight sim community have been at this hobby longer than many of these snowflakes have been alive. Let's not let them ruin at least this small piece of our lives. Looking forward to seeing what the next ten years brings to this great new sim.

I find forums in general are very angry and negative these days. The whole anonymity thing makes it easy for people to behave and say things in a way they never would face to face. Social media also reinforces singular beliefs and opinions. I watch one YouTube video on a German airplane and next thing I know I'm getting suggestions from YouTube for Nazi Germany. I kid u not ! We have to remember how lucky we are to be in the computer age and have such a beautiful hobby as flight simulator. I for one think the people here for the most part are wonderful and dedicated and really do a great job at providing useful information. Also a huge hats off to Microsoft and Asobo for giving us the new sim.

Probably the best post I've read, for many years..
    The late great developer, Garry Smith, of Ford Tri-Motor Project fame, & creator of many hundreds of textures, always said that simming is all about Fun, Facts & Fiction... True words indeed!

I've found that our hobby has become 2 sided.. the THEM's & the US's.
    We, the non-complex aircraft flyers (I refuse to call them study quality planes, but you PMDG'ers know who I'm talking about), tend to regard us Them's as lessor flyers/hobbyists, because we do not conform, or fly by the numbers, or sail, or drive around, or fly a spaceship or do not have the best hardware, or do not have VR but still enjoy the older sims --FS9 ROCKS!!

It's all about immersion, not realism - it's a game, for goodness sake, & when we see real pilots 'bumping' in their seats, anticipating touchdown, using freeware scenery & aircraft, using FS2004, practicing a letdown into Luton after applying for a job with DHL to fly there, & getting the job, we realise it's not the fancy aircraft, scenery, latest sim, expensive PC et al that's so important....

It's the attitude & immersion that we have for our hobby!

This new sim? Hats off & thanking Microsoft & Asobo for giving us the new sim? They did not 'give'it to us, we bought & paid for the thing. It's not altrusic of them either, it's a technology demonstrator & a money generator for Microsoft, as all their products are, NOT a vehicle to make & placate a niche market! It's a pure business decision of theirs.

I've noticed this for a very, very, very long time. I don't think covid has anything to do with it, though it could exacerbate the situation. I've been on many computer help forums for the last 14 years and over time I've seen my fair share of "Google it" or bitterness and ridicule. Now for me personally I think this is the young generation, the millennial generation. I feel like a good majority of this generation feels entitled and what not and was handed a trophy for everything. In fact, the forum software now used a lot called Xenforo in replace of vBulletin has trophies, likes and other stupid nonsensical stuff. I loath Xenforo and the aforementioned Discord. I love my Team Speak, use the Team Speak App, and VPN to my own Team Speak server at home with the OpenVPN App via my phone with the a VPN inside my Asus Merlin flashed router where from there I can hear my police scanner monitoring tower of my local GA airport and other things around town. Can't do that with the overlay obnoxious coded Discord. Maybe, but I don't care to know. It's overly complex and unnecessary. Besides, my gaming buddies all use Team Speak.

Now if I haven't "offended" anyone yet, I will now. Your sentence there about the description in the YouTube video where people thought you should advertise the link in the video its self just confirms what my opinion has been for a long time. And that is there's a vast majority of people out there with low IQ or common sense. Not exactly sure which. In one example, I go out of my way typing at least four paragraphs telling the OP this and that about their computer issue only to be ignored what I had just said. Or worse, ask the very same question in another topic/thread that I just got done answering. I find my self unsubscribing from the topic/thread now-a-days when I see stupid. It's like that old adage: you can lead a horse to water, you can't make him (her, it, what ever the hell floats your little boat) drink!

I guess now that I'm going on 40 this October and have approached the top of the hill, I truly see the world as it is now a days from my wise old man's perch. LOL!

PS: I actually proof read this in an effort to make it look like I actually have a command of the English language even though my grammar isn't that of a popular Russian author or something... Not often you see that these days I'll tell you.

John 15:18
    Last edited by CRJ_simpilot; 09-29-2020 at 04:41 AM.

Totally agree, the X Plane community is totally different and I feel kind of guilty in a way leaving like I did. But let's face ti 2020 is far superior out of the box, goodness knows where we will be in 12 months. The children we have on the sites at the moment will either grow up or leave!

I look forward to more YT content MrYW. Hope this crazy world hasn't got you down too much.
    I'm one of the early avsim and flightsim members so I have seen it all when it comes to fs community interactions. It has become quite opinionated and hostile at times. However, I have learned in my senior years to except the way it is, not to let it get me down, take 1 day at a time and not sweat the stuff I have no control over.

Ignore all the negative noise and rejoice in our flightsims exciting future and all the wonderful content creators of YT and Twitch. This pastime has never been so good. IMHO :-)

Well written thank you
    Graeme
    Bendigo
    Australia

Absolutely a good read and I agree 100%.

I have been a member of the community since the late 1990’es and written multiple reviews which has been published on a variety of websites and media over the years. However I often experienced negative feedback which for me is useless, and also often quite harsh and provocative comments resulting in my commitment and excitement of contributing to the community decreased rapidly. Today I only make a few reviews a year because I simply don’t have the energy for all the potential negative feedback, especially when spending about 30-40 hours on testing a piece of software and writing the review – what I have learned is that no matter what I write, someone will always have a different opinion and even though that I several times have stated that the review is my opinion of the aircraft/scenery/hardware or whatever, some people tend to just attack one if they do not share the same opinion, this instead of accepting that not all people share their exact same opinion.

I also remember the helpful community which we all took part of, but I also see that it’s still here. I think that it’s just a few who ruins it for the majority.

Happy Flying 🙃

Excellent article! This is exactly why I dropped out of all the Facebook Flight Sim Pages. I now have two forums I go to. The rest are simply an exercise in what degree they can be rude. Amazing how many times your told "Read the Manual", only to have to tell the rude responder, IT ISNT IN THE MANUAL! THATS WHY I ASKED THE QUESTION! Maybe they should read the manual! I started Flight Sim in the monochrome days. Its never been this difficult and that's not the depth of the planes, by difficult I mean the people of the community. Yes, I do hope it changes.

Agree completely. My thoughts is Microsoft always goes too gamey.. Now they made version for X-Box, so we will continue to be flooded with immaturity. Sad but true. I do enjoy the x-plane.org forums for that reason. Always helpful people there and not there to try to insult or put you down.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast