Guess the state in the USA this screenshot comes from?

plainsman

Washington?

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

No Clue, Michigan :D

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

No one got it right. That is Oklahoma! The shot is a little north of Lawton. I flew NNE out of KFSI. The shot is looking across lake Ellsworth, into the granite peaks of the Wichita Mountains. The peak on the left with the road winding up to the top, is Mt. Scott, at 2464 feet. The lake is about 1200 feet. There are several other peaks that get very close to 2500 feet. The mountains are home to a wildlife refuge containing abundant bison. I have tent camped there many times, with bison grazing just inches from the tent at night.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

No one got it right. That is Oklahoma! The shot is a little north of Lawton. I flew NNE out of KFSI. The shot is looking across lake Ellsworth, into the granite peaks of the Wichita Mountains. The peak on the left with the road winding up to the top, is Mt. Scott, at 2464 feet. The lake is about 1200 feet. There are several other peaks that get very close to 2500 feet. The mountains are home to a wildlife refuge containing abundant bison. I have tent camped there many times, with bison grazing just inches from the tent at night.

Oklahoma has mountains? Who knew? :D:cool:

Oklahoma has mountains? Who knew? :D:cool:

If they're not more than 2,500' I doubt many would consider them mountains. Having been born and raised on the side of a knob, I'd call them knobs.

Interesting shot. ;) And it does sound like a great place to camp.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

It is relative relief. You have about 1300 feet of relief. That is not a lot different than mountains out in Montana where the plain is 4500 and the mountain is 5800. When you are there, they definitely feel like mountains, and they are steeper than the knobs of Kentucky.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

It is relative relief. You have about 1300 feet of relief. That is not a lot different than mountains out in Montana where the plain is 4500 and the mountain is 5800. When you are there, they definitely feel like mountains, and they are steeper than the knobs of Kentucky.

Thanks for the shot! I just "flew" there as well. Very very scenic! And yes I can understand how it would be a wonderful place to camp! I've traversed through on I40 several times. But have never been in that section that I can recall.

Black Mountain on the Eastern Kentucky border is pretty steep as well. I'm from closer to Cumberland Lake, that's where the Ky. knobs I know best are.

Michael

Edited by Rupert
more than one typo!!

Thanks Michael!

My daughter-in-law is from Owensboro, and I have a son that graduated from Western Kentucky. When I was a small child, my dad took us to Renfro Valley twice.

I used to drive the I-40 section through Oklahoma a lot. I lived in both OKC and Broken Arrow, and work took me all over the state. My folks lived out in West Texas, so we went by the Wichita Mountains a lot on our way to West Texas. You can see them for 40 miles away, standing up amidst the otherwise flat countryside.

Thanks Michael!

My daughter-in-law is from Owensboro, and I have a son that graduated from Western Kentucky. When I was a small child, my dad took us to Renfro Valley twice.

I used to drive the I-40 section through Oklahoma a lot. I lived in both OKC and Broken Arrow, and work took me all over the state. My folks lived out in West Texas, so we went by the Wichita Mountains a lot on our way to West Texas. You can see them for 40 miles away, standing up amidst the otherwise flat countryside.

Amazing coincidence you would mention Renfro Valley! I have a picture taken with a "Brownie" when I was four (4) days old. I was being held by John Lair at Renfro Valley, which he ran.

My Dad played in the band for the Barn Dance and "Sunday Mornin Gatherin" which were both broadcast live on clear channel radio for years. My Dad died in 1954. But almost every weekend from before I was born till 1952 or 53, our whole family spent the weekend in Renfro Valley.

Black Mountain Ky is the area where my Mother grew up until she was about 15 or so. I still have several cousins living there. And yes standing over 2,500' above the nearby terrain, even at only 4,100' or so, Black Mountain will still catch your eye. Though my sister in law who grew up in the backwoods mountains of Washington State and British Columbia always laughs when we call Black Mountain a mountain.

I also have a photo taken with John Lair, but I was about 5 years at the time. I have taken my children there, just because it meant so much to my dad, I thought they should understand what he appreciated.

It occurred to me I probably heard your father play, because we spent a week in later part of August, 1952 there the first time. That would mean I was a few weeks away from 5 at the time. We stayed in the little log cabin motel across the road from the barn dance. The only one I really remember was the steel guitar player.

It occurred to me I probably heard your father play, because we spent a week in later part of August, 1952 there the first time. That would mean I was a few weeks away from 5 at the time. We stayed in the little log cabin motel across the road from the barn dance. The only one I really remember was the steel guitar player.

Charlie was the "brass man." He played trumpet, trombone, etc, as needed. Though he also was damned good on the piano.

As his father's son, I followed up in the same manner, I was a music major before I started flying for a living and still play brass and woodwinds from time to time for parties, dances, funerals, weddings, etc. In fact I bought a lot of books and a lot of booze with money made playing gigs in a recording studio band or at events when I was young! And stay play daily for my own amusement.

I can't tell you how many hundreds of times I've been honored play TAPS at the funeral of another veteran including my brother!