help on my approach (video)

lotusteve

Still learning the Cessna. (this is my first flight sim as well) can someone have a look at my video of the approach/landing into paderborn, the radio message i got says i was clear to land,but when i landed i get another message saying i should not have landed. what am i doing wrong. i have included the video of take off and land. the approach starts at around 4.50 in the video.. thankyou for reading. Also any info for me to take on board about my approach and landing would be useful to me.

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Processor,32"wide screen Samsung monitor

MSI MAG B550M MORTAR Motherboard mATX, AM4, DDR4

Pioneer 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 2280 Gen 3x4,Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 OC

Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB)

Still learning the Cessna. (this is my first flight sim as well) can someone have a look at my video of the approach/landing into paderborn, the radio message i got says i was clear to land,but when i landed i get another message saying i should not have landed. what am i doing wrong. i have included the video of take off and land. the approach starts at around 4.50 in the video.. thankyou for reading. Also any info for me to take on board about my approach and landing would be useful to me.

Too close to the jet in front at take-off... should double the distance!

Well, I can't give you a detailed report, but I was surprised that ATC cleared you for takeoff before the airliner ahead of you had departed. And in the real world, you might have had problems with wake turbulence, too. I'd turn off those traffic labels, just to minimize distractions, but that's me.

You stayed within the "boxes" defining your approach path rather well, if a tad sloppy, but the "too fast" warning was (IMHO) too early, and probably shouldn't have come until shortly before you turned base, but that's the sim, not you. Your approach looked halfway decent, except for speed control*, but ATC cleared you to land while there was still an airliner waiting for takeoff, sitting on the numbers. They should have had you go around, but you chose to land and run under/into the left wing, thus getting to the edge of the runway until you were past the aircraft -- were you going to land it might have been prudent to land long (you had a long taxi on the runway anyhow), but for real world a go-around would have been more appropriate.

I noticed your panel went dark on final approach -- weird -- but once you'd established your airspeed, maintaining the same pitch attitude (with no flap or throttle change) will hold your airspeed, just keeping the top of your nose at the same place relative to the horizon, though you'll have to extrapolate to allow for view angle changes when banking in the turn.

You don't mention whether you had any real world aviation experience, though I get the impression you don't, but I'd say for a beginner you were doing pretty well.

==================================

* Speed is controlled by your pitch attitude, altitude by your throttle, though there is some interaction there. About 65-70 kts would have been about right down final, especially after adding flaps, but if you disregard the "warnings" 90 kts would have been OK until turning base, and 70-75 on base leg.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I agree with Larry! Way too fast through your descent and that was a definite "go-around" situation. Was that just a practice circuit of that airport or a tutorial mission? Too much going on while in the cockpit on the windscreen. Doesn't the ATC window automatically pop up when ATC contacts you?

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️

Thanks to both of you for reviewing my video, I will take on board what I have been told,I did notice my instrument screen go dark while on the approach but havent a clue why. I am loving this sim but need loads more practice which I intend to do. It was very hard at first as I have never been into flight sims and never used one, so all this is new to me. Just like to say thank you again for your input..

It was just a practice circuit I did,only because the paterborn airport was a free download in the marketplace. I just wanted to see what it was like. Like Larry says I need to turn off the traffic labels which I will do tonight when I have another go.

The instruments going dark is a known fault with the Sim. Should be fixed, eventually. I would recommend on your next attempt at this flight, to make only a 90 degree left turn when told to do the downwind leg of the flight. I would then fly for about a minute before making another 90 degree left turn to actually fly downwind with the airport a mile or two further away on your left. This should give that jet on the runway more time to take off and be out of your way for your approach and landing.

Still thinking about a new flightsim only computer!  ✈️