Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PMDG delays the 737NG3 to the end of 2021

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I'm a show me kind of a guy.....we'll see what washes down the creek bed.
    I agree. As usual, PMDG will be latecomers to this sim as well, but this one is very different to the rest - the rate at which freeware scenery, missions and utilities are appearing is incredible and if PMDG are seen to be dragging their feet, a fully functional freeware 737NG could steal their thunder anytime between now and Q3 2021. The script kiddies are just cutting their teeth on the default airliners right now.
    I requested two of my local landmarks from a freeware scenery modder on Friday, and on Saturday morning they were available for download!
    Today, I've just completed my first NeoFly Bush Pilot cargo flight - NeoFly is a freeware version of something like Just Flight's Air Hauler. You can fly IFR from your local airfield if you choose, it's not restricted to bush flying. It has a very simple interface, but with quite sophisticated mission types, a career mode, flight tracking, bespoke radio comms and sound effects.
    It's incredible to me how such a program can be available, as freeware, just a month after the launch of MSFS.
    That's why I say PMDG had better get their fingers out... by Q3 2021 we could be asking "PMD who? And they're asking how much?"
    Last edited by tiger1962; 09-27-2020 at 04:08 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by tiger1962 View Post
    I agree. As usual, PMDG will be latecomers to this sim as well, but this one is very different to the rest - the rate at which freeware scenery, missions and utilities are appearing is incredible and if PMDG are seen to be dragging their feet, a fully functional freeware 737NG could steal their thunder anytime between now and Q3 2021.

It's incredible to me how such a program can be available, as freeware, just a month after the launch of MSFS.
    That's why I say PMDG had better get their fingers out...
    While PMDG is always one of the slower ones, this is almost certainly a case of the sim and its SDK not having the required support and functionality. And if so, any potential freeware 737 would run into the same limitations too. Maybe a freeware 737 will come along that is good enough for many, but I suspect something with the same level of detail as PMDG's offerings won't show up much, if any, sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    Maybe a freeware 737 will come along that is good enough for many
    My point exactly, the full sales potential will have been missed and only the hardcore PMDG fans will be prepared to buy it.
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    While PMDG is always one of the slower ones, this is almost certainly a case of the sim and its SDK not having the required support and functionality.
    I suspect that the SDK isn't being created to PMDG's own requirements, because Asobo are trying to cater for all developers equally. PMDG have been a big fish in a small pond which has become even smaller over time. With the new MSFS, the flood gates are now wide open.
    Last edited by tiger1962; 09-27-2020 at 04:28 PM.

5. Default

PMDG knows MSFS stinks and it will be maybe a year before it runs right.

I guess the other sim platforms would be the only ones delighted with this news.
    My latest video at The Flight Level - Dangerous Landings - Courchevel Altiport - A TBM 930 RNAV/VFR Flight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhgSjRzoNE

My point exactly, the full sales potential will have been missed and only the hardcore PMDG fans will be prepared to buy it.
    I really doubt there is much crossover between those that would find a relatively simpler freeware or payware version good enough and those that want the full PMDG level of detail, so I doubt they will lose many sales. This situation already exists with current sims as it is, and doesn’t seem to have hurt them.

Not only that when you look at what PMDG are charging for some of their stuff (three figure sums for certain items) that's not going to appeal to the casual or even semi serious simmer on a budget of maybe £30 or £40 for a single aircraft type. MS are going to want aircraft on the Marketplace that sell quickly and in large quantity.

Not sure when PMDG got so expensive, in the past I bought the 737 NG 600/700, 747 Queen and MD11X on disc and don't recall being that expensive - the Queen was maybe £50, can't find it in my Amazon order history ATM.
    Vern.

I suspect that the SDK isn't being created to PMDG's own requirements, because Asobo are trying to cater for all developers equally.
    Yes, PMDG is far from the only developer that is waiting for updates to the sim and SDK, but this doesn’t mean they need to pull their fingers out or are moving too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvensmith View Post
    Not sure when PMDG got so expensive, in the past I bought the 737 NG 600/700, 747 Queen and MD11X on disc and don't recall being that expensive - the Queen was maybe £50, can't find it in my Amazon order history ATM.
    It happened when P3D came out, and since enough people proved they were willing to pay the new prices, they kept them. They are a business after all, so why leave money on the table? In addition, I strongly suspect they are happy to keep the higher prices as a way to filter out the more casual simmers that would be overwhelmed by the level of detail they provide, and thus keep their support costs down (not to mention potential bad reviews from users out of their depth). PMDG wouldn’t be the first company to do this. Either way, it seems to be working and has opened up the market to other developers to fill in the gap PMDG has created.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast