Help needed please !

Hi everyone...

I've been a daily visitor on this site for ten years now and this is my first post.

I have been an avid flight simulator fan since FS5. I have been using FSX for many years now and have built a nice FS cockpit around it.

Like many, I am seriously thinking of moving over to Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020. I had a custom system made about 4 years ago but I suppose that it is now outdated. My system is :- (Don't laugh)...

Intel I7 5820K / Corsair Hydro H105 / Asus X99-S / 32GB 2400Mhz RAM / 2 x Asus Strix GTX 980 4GB GPU/ Corsair AX1200i PSU / Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD / Seagate 2TB HDD / Samsung 24X DVDRW / Corsair Air 540 BLACK / Corsair AF120 LED Case Fan x 4 / Windows 7 Pro 64Bit Operating System.

I am upgrading to Windows 10

My question is, what will I need to upgrade to run the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 sim at high / ultra scenery levels with minimum stutter ?

Thank you in advance.

Gasman.

You don't mention two important things, your monitor and your internet connection speed. To run a 1080p monitor takes a lot less GPU power than to run a 1440p or 4K monitor. If you are running a 1080p, you may be OK, but you really need an 8gb card to run anything with more pixels.

The internet connection speed is important, because if you have less than a 60 mb/s connection, you may see stutters or locks. Most of the scenery is stored in the cloud, so you have to have a good internet connection to input the scenery, particularly at high or ultra.

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Got to agree. A serious new graphics card is a must. Wait a few weeks and see what the 2080’s come down to.

Plus you need to dedicate the SSD to just Windows and MFS.

Meanwhile pay £1 for the introduction Game Pass month offer and install MFS and see what the performance is like with your existing system.

Note that the Game Pass cost will go up to a tenner despite the promised £5 per month cost.

Thanks Plainsman for your prompt reply...I'll have to check both items you mention but I know for a fact that my download speed is probably half the speed that you mention but my monitors are not 4K... (I have three, (hence the two graphics cards) which are spanned... I'll get back to you...

Running three monitors I can't compare, but at 1920x1200 resolution (about 2300000 pixels as compared to about 2000000 in 1080p), I am only using 16-17% of CPU capacity, so you should be OK there. The sim does like faster memory, but you have plenty, I am using about 11-12 GB while running the sim. You have an SSD, which is needed. I think internet connection and GPU are your two limiting factors. Again, at 1920x1200, I am getting up to 85% capacity on my GPU in urban settings, so a strong GPU is needed. I am running a mix of high and ultra, except i have clouds and water at medium.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Thanks Stevemill for your reply. I have to upgrade to Windows 10 first and I must admit I don't know what a 2080 card is but I'll do a bit of digging ! PS, Will it fit my mobo ?

Don’t know anything about motherboards but there should be one that does. Depends on whether it takes a full or half size card. I mentioned the 2080 just because it’s top of the range but about to be replaced by a new generation and might come down in price. I’m no expert though. Others here are.

You will need something better than a budget card to get this game going well unfortunately. You should expect to pay a couple of hundred at least.

Good Luck finding the new generation of Nvidia Graphics Cards (the 3080) I watched a review of those cards and it was stated they were all sold out to scalpers who then end up putting them up on auction sights to double or triple their investment. Also watch out as in that same review it was uncovered that many of the card manufacturers used cheaper versions of power capacitors that cannot handle the load so it crashes the computer. It was also stated the Founder Series of the 3080 uses more expensive components (including those capacitors), while making the video card more expensive, it functions way better.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

I read an article about the rtx 3080 scalpers on e-bay. Apparently, there's a loop hole where, when the auction ends, the winning bidder can opt out. It will go onto their profile as a buyer who backed out.

But get this, people are creating new/fake buyers, bidding $10,000 ... then backing out - never intending to buy. Thus thwarting the scalpers. I've been watching e-bay on this matter and it is indeed happening. RTX 3080 cards put up for auction and within a day, someone bids $10k... then no one else bids.

and they really only have to do this until the supply reaches the normal outlets, and the demand lessons becasue their not so rare.

Brilliant... scamming the scammers!

Edited by stempski

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

About time the scammers are getting scammed! Wow, $10K? I think I will keep my 2080ti video card a little while longer.

MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Plus Motherboard, I9-10900K 5.1 Ghz, 64 GB 3200 DDR4 Ram, Nvidia RTX 4080 16GB V-Ram, 1 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For Windows 11, 2 TB NVMe M.2 Drive For MSFS, 850W P/S, HP Reverb G2 VR Headset, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Gasman,

Just another data point for you here. Most of your rig looks great. I also have a 5th gen i7 that does fine. I also have a recent Nvidia 2070 Super (8 GB VRAM) in the box, 16 GB of RAM, a SATA SSD, and am running at 2560x1440. I regularly get 30-50+ fps with everything running on High (except clouds which I set at Ultra). In some challenging situations, like urban areas, it drops into the high 20's. But flying the length of Manhattan at about 2500 ft I was getting 33-35 fps, which is very smooth and looks great. Your mileage may vary, but so far, so good. I fly about every day, and no real issues with the sim (except I *still* can't purchase anything from the market place -oh well).

I also have a friend who runs a recent i5 CPU, 16 GB RAM, with a 980ti with 6 GB of VRAM, and his does quite well, too, at 1080p.

I think your box will run the sim pretty well as-is, perhaps with most settings at High. The 4 GB of video memory might cause a stutter here or there if it needs to do some texture swapping. And as others have mentioned, a respectable internet connection will help a lot. You don't need a gigabit connection, but something above the bare minimum (that old AOL dial-up connection won't quite make it :) )

Best of luck - hope it works out well!