Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Monitor in Vertical Position?

Blog Entries

Default Monitor in Vertical Position?

This guy did something weird
    Three monitors vertically
    At first I thought that s crazy. Why would I want to see more sky?

But having a second look I think it might give greater immersion.
    The largest field of sky drags your mind into the scenery

What do multiple monitor users have to say?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Looks to my untrained eyeballs that his view of 'scenery' is mostly blocked by the two smaller monitors representing the dashboard? Kinda defeats the purpose IMHO.
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0056, [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, Nvidia GTX1650 4GB, Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TFRP rudder pedals, Grass Monkey Odyssey IR headset system

I think if you were going to have such a setup, you would be better off with 5 monitors. Otherwise they’d be better positioned the standard way.

Regards
    Steve
    Intel I9-10900K - Gigabyte Z490 Vision G - 64Gb DDR4 - Gigabyte RTX2080ti - 3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs
    Corsair HXi series 1000W 80+ Platinum PSU - 1x500gb & 1x1TB M.2 SSDs

In a sim that I've built. MB326 Aermacchi 2 seater, I have 2 screens vertically mounted, representing a panel, then a big screen landscape on the nose, & another small screen landscape, for the rear seat scenery
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by chicagorandy View Post
    Looks to my untrained eyeballs that his view of 'scenery' is mostly blocked by the two smaller monitors representing the dashboard? Kinda defeats the purpose IMHO.
    So, kind of like instrument panels in a real plane?

On a plus side, the owner of the rig only has to keep himself happy, who cares what I think? I know I rarely do - lol
    "Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abraham Lincoln
    HP Pavilion Desktop 590-p0056, [email protected], 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, Nvidia GTX1650 4GB, Logitech yoke and throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TFRP rudder pedals, Grass Monkey Odyssey IR headset system

WOW. If the owner of the sim is happy with the setup, Power to them. I did once try multiple monitor setup with an additional Foreflight on an iPad hooked up as moving map, GPS etc.

What I hated was the bezels of the monitor. You see those two vertical bars in the middle. I HATE THAT. So I went back to a single monitor setup.

I know they have curved monitors and TV's but if some one can come up with a single curved monitor that can represent 150 - 180 degrees of cockpit view... That would take flight simulator to the next level. No More Bezels.
    Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)
    Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014

Quote Originally Posted by BushPilot View Post
    I know they have curved monitors and TV's but if some one can come up with a single curved monitor that can represent 150 - 180 degrees of cockpit view... That would take flight simulator to the next level. No More Bezels.
    There are TV projectors which are presumably only limited by the size of the wall/screen/curved screen you're projecting onto... mind you the prices are something else!
    Last edited by tiger1962; 09-25-2020 at 12:07 PM.
    Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."
    Gigabyte Aorus GA-Z270X-Gaming 7, Intel i5-7600k 3.80GHz OC'd 4.28GHz, NZXT X62 Kraken, 16Gb 3500MHz Ram, 2x 2TB Samsung Hybrid SSD's, LG DVDRW, NVidia GTX1050Ti 4Gb, Phanteks Enthoo Pro M case, CH Yoke & Pedals, Dell P2815Q 28" 4k Monitor, Windows 10 Pro x64

Blog Entries

Agree, I think multiple monitors are justified if you build a cockpit frame.
    Its not expensive, made of plywood and cutting windows as a Boeing cockpit for example, you dont even need huge monitors, just the aprox size of each cockpit window. Two medium sized fot front and two smaller for the sides
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

That is pretty cool to see lots of sky! That air conditioner is in a good spot to cool the room and kill some of the heat produced by the monitors!
    My latest video at The Flight Level - Dangerous Landings - Courchevel Altiport - A TBM 930 RNAV/VFR Flight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzhgSjRzoNE

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast