I Made the Jump: My First MSFS Shots

engine70

I've enjoyed sharing with you guys my quest to get my cheap, store bought eight year old PC running well enough to handle FSX with some high-end addons and eye candy, and while it was holding its own, it was really beginning to show it's age. Once I saw the first screenshots and videos of MSFS, I knew it was time to do something I've wanted to do for years and build a real gaming PC. After getting the go-ahead from my financial advisor (aka my wife), it was time to make it happen.

Over the last week I purchased everything, built the PC, got all of the necessary software and drivers installed and tested everything out to make sure it was operating properly (specs in my signature). Finally I installed MSFS yesterday and have started the task of learning all of the new controls, keys and nuances of the new sim. While I can confirm what many others have said, it's not perfect, the visuals really are stunning and are certainly worth dealing with a few of the issues that have popped up so far. I'm still very much learning this new sim, but here are a few screenshots of my first full flight from Reading, Pa to Cape May County, New Jersey as we cross the Delaware River at dusk in the Baron.

First_Flight_1.jpg

First_Flight_2.jpg

First_Flight_3.jpg

First_Flight_4.jpg

I'm sure I'll have many more shots to come, especially once I get used to all of these new controls. I still haven't ruled out installing FSX on my new system considering the airliners in MSFS aren't that great just yet, but I'm going to give it a few more days before I make that decision. Thanks for viewing!

Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

Nicely done :pilot:

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nice shots, especially #2. ;)

And I don't understand why almost everyone doesn't build their computers? It's just plug and play!! Plus you get to choose what you need for whatever purpose you're planning for. Not be left stranded when a boxmaker puts hardware in there because it was on a closet sale!! Or worse yet builds high priced boxes with a bullshit motherboard or not enough power-supply! :eek::eek:

I learned back in the Apple IIE era, it's hugely easy! ;)

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

Nice shots, especially #2. ;)

And I don't understand why almost everyone doesn't build their computers? It's just plug and play!! Plus you get to choose what you need for whatever purpose you're planning for. Not be left stranded when a boxmaker puts hardware in there because it was on a closet sale!! Or worse yet builds high priced boxes with a bullshit motherboard or not enough power-supply! :eek::eek:

I learned back in the Apple IIE era, it's hugely easy! ;)

Michael

Building a computer isn't in everyone's comfort zone I think. I did build my son a rig a few years ago, but I had to watch many a tutorial to make sure I did it right. Wasn't that hard, and we did have a great time at it. However, I got really skiddish about installing the cooling fan....so I had a geek squad member install that for me.

I'm looking at a computer at Best Buy that has all the specs I want, and is almost as cheap to consider buying instead of a full build. We'll see...

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

Thanks everyone! I went back and forth on building vs buying a prebuilt. I had done enough upgrades to my PC over the years that I was confident I could build it, but the idea of pulling a PC out of a box, plugging it in and playing was very tempting. After doing lots of research I came to realize that while most prebuilds provide you with a solid CPU and GPU, the other components are hit or miss. I was looking at an Intel build at one point that had a K’ version CPU meaning you can overclock, but the motherboard wasn’t strong enough to support overclocking. Ultimately I decided I wanted to have my PC be everything I would need and not require upgrades for a while, so building was the better option for me.
Ryzen 5 3600X | RTX 2060 | 32 GB 3200 G.Skill RAM | 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe M.2 SSD

You did good, Chris! Very well presented and I am sure with the build that you have produced, you will be able to give us the great shots that MSFS 2020 has to offer! Very nice indeed! Always a great feeling of satisfaction when you have completed a project up to your expectations!

Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

Rick :cool: