Am I Alone in Complaining About the Palette? (Doubt it.)

I've complained in several threads here about the MSFS2020 palette -- that is, the colors, and especially what they call "saturation." Photographers (and I'm not an accomplished one) know what I'm talking about. I've said MS needs to close this down by "about 2 f-stops."

Here's 2 shots over Queensland, one edited in Picassa, one raw. I dare you to tell me you like the raw one better. This MUST be fixed in the next patch (assuming it is fixable).

Mac6737

Total Washout2.jpg

Total Washout 2 edit.jpg

While I agree for screenshots, pilots will probably tell you the first is more like what they see in real flight. As you get altitude, blue light is not filtered out by the thinner air, which makes scenes appear sort of hazy. That is why photographers use a yellow or peach filter in mountain photography.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

So which is which? Is the top one raw or Picassa edited?

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Here's 2 shots over Queensland, one edited in Picassa, one raw. I dare you to tell me you like the raw one better. This MUST be fixed in the next patch (assuming it is fixable).

Mac6737

The first one looks far closer to what the view out the window was the last time I flew. Perhaps it depends on where in the world you are and the type of flying, but between those two images, the second one looks over saturated and less real than the first.

I have said previously in some areas, even the training ground at Sedona, the graphics look like poster art than photo realistic. This was also apparent on the numerous YT video clips that circulated before release watched on a variety of different monitors and TV screens.

Ironically though, it was when the graphics looked bleached and washed out last weekend I realised the 1.8.30 patch had fallen over and corrupted my install (missing shaders possibly) and thus required my reinstall, now in its 5th and hopefully final day.

Vern.

I forgot to add my 'vote' for the top pic as well. The bottom one looks.... unrealistic .... is the best word I can use.

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx

Yeah, the top definitely look more realistic!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

Sorry to say its the top one for me too. The other looks too saturated with colour..

I think the sim is pretty darn close to what i see out of the plane window. I did complain

early on that the sky was too bright but now I am used to it and really like it. Perhaps the OP just needs to stick with it a bit to adjust after the look of previous sims.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Actually, I'm pleased that you folks disagree with me; if I'm in the minority on a question of taste and/or realism, then at least the sim may not be as defective as I thought.

That said, in retrospect, I probably darkened the second shot a bit more than needed. But the first (raw) shot still looks washed out -- which it is.

I have 2 more exhibits: (1) take a critical look at the first screenshot that appears while the sim is loading (but after you push "any key" to begin) -- the one with the GA plane retracting its gear. What you will see is SUFFOCATING SMOG; and (2) the pic below is downtown Miami as we depart to the south; same thing. OK, I admit that smog is a realistic scenario, but I prefer a more normal look, which is what I still get in P3D. The entire world of MSFS2020 seems to precede the Clean Air Act of 1970, at least in the US.

And don't get me started on flying anywhere with the sun forward of the cockpit, even with "bloom" disabled.

Mac6737

Miami Smog.jpg

Sorry to say its the top one for me too. The other looks too saturated with colour..

I think the sim is pretty darn close to what i see out of the plane window. I did complain

early on that the sky was too bright but now I am used to it and really like it. Perhaps the OP just needs to stick with it a bit to adjust after the look of previous sims.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

OK, how long does it take to "get used to it." I'm over a month, and counting.

Hey Mac...

You might be able to adjust the sim by adjusting your monitor. Lower the brightness and increase the contrast... or something. See if you monitor is capable of adjustment. If you're lucky, it may have profiles... that way you could save your MSFS view and just use it when flying.

Just a thought.

But, so far... it looks like it IS just you :)

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One

While I agree for screenshots, pilots will probably tell you the first is more like what they see in real flight. As you get altitude, blue light is not filtered out by the thinner air, which makes scenes appear sort of hazy. That is why photographers use a yellow or peach filter in mountain photography.

I like the first one as its more realistic. 100% agree

Started: Flight Simulator 98 (Year 1999)

Private Pilot Certificate ASEL: August 7th 2014