Simple Question: MSFS and the 'Net

With the new sim, do you HAVE to be connected online? Let's assume I'm not using real-time weather or ATC, no multipilot. After installation (DVDs) I'd already have 100+ gigs on the SSD. My connection speed isn't the fastest and as it is, I'll need a new PC...Thanks

I have the download version.

When I installed it, MSFS asked if I will be using the streaming or use off-line data. I chose streaming.

As a experiment, I turned off the Bing Data World Graphics/Photogrammetry and was able to use it that way.

However dis-connecting the internet cable entirely MSFS asks for a disc. So it must do a validation check even when in off-line mode.

So looks like if you have a laptop and go on a trip without internet, you better get the disc version.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I have the download version.

When I installed it, MSFS asked if I will be using the streaming or use off-line data. I chose streaming.

As a experiment, I turned off the Bing Data World Graphics/Photogrammetry and was able to use it that way.

However dis-connecting the internet cable entirely MSFS asks for a disc. So it must do a validation check even when in off-line mode.

So looks like if you have a laptop and go on a trip without internet, you better get the disc version.

You need to enable the offline mode while still online so it can do the validation check it needs.

You need to enable the offline mode while still online so it can do the validation check it needs.

Haven’t double checked it yet to see if anything has changed in the latest Windows updates, but see the guide below for enabling offline mode for Microsoft Store games.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/71127-turn-off-offline-mode-games-store-windows-10-a.html

I saw one of your posts before I got MSFS with those instructions and designated for off-line.

Maybe I needed to do that AFTER install?

Are you sure you can COMPLETLY disconnect the cable and load the sim?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I saw one of your posts before I got MSFS with those instructions and designated for off-line.

Maybe I needed to do that AFTER install?

Are you sure you can COMPLETLY disconnect the cable and load the sim?

Yep, just tried it without the cable connected and the sim ran fine (well, as fine as it can without the streamed scenery :pilot:). Note that per the instructions you need to run the sim, or other game, at least once while still connected before going offline.

I must be missing something because without cable connected, the sim asks for disc

Did this...

If you have multiple Windows 10 devices, you’ll need to make sure that the device you intend to use offline is set as the designated offline device. You can only have one device as your designated offline device.

Did this...

Once your device has "Offline Permissions" turned on for it, you’ll need to launch each game you want to play offline while signed in to Xbox Live. You only need to do this once per game, and you’ll need to do this even if you’ve already launched the game on your device.

1. While online, launch the game you want to play offline. When prompted, sign in to Xbox Live with your account.

2. Once you’ve started playing the game, you can exit at any time.

As soon as I connect cable, can proceed

BTW Caution: Turn off your computer when plugging/unplugging RJ45 cable - not a hot swap connection.

I must be missing something because without cable connected, the sim asks for disc

Did this...

Did this...

As soon as I connect cable, can proceed

BTW Caution: Turn off your computer when plugging/unplugging RJ45 cable - not a hot swap connection.

Might need to try repairing your MSFS install if so.

As for RJ45 network connections, they are hot swappable. Basically all external ports on computers these days are.

Might need to try repairing your MSFS install if so.

Sim runs great so don't want to fix what ain't broke! :)

Maybe future patch might fix this