Compare FSX to FS2020 Baron in NE Sandhills

plainsman

The Baron compared in FSX and FS2020, both stock scenery. They are both flying over the Nebraska Sandhills, a huge field of grass covered sand dunes that stretch from north of I-80 almost to the South Dakota border, and about 100 miles east to west.

BaronTC_Sandhills.jpg

Baron FS20 Sandhills.jpg

I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

That does look good, though my scenery looks much better than what you are showing for FSX. I assume you're online. What will it look like when Microsoft cuts the cord? And yes, of course they will when the cash flow doesn't justify it.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I didn't know exactly where you were or at what altitude. But I went to the Sandhill region near I-80 in a Baron with P3D. These are two shots I took at about 4,000' with software I own and don't have to worry about being "updated" "modified" or turned off.

I-80.jpg

Over I-80

Com Tower.jpg

Near a com tower.

A day to two ago when I was on the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA), they were discussing 2020 compared to other sims for at home practice flying. AOPA has reservations about reccommending 2020 for practice flying by actual pilots. They state in comparison to other software, 2020 leaves out many communications towers and other structures that you might "hit" throughout the US at least.

I was up at 17,500'. I don't use it to practice actual flight. At this point, it is a way to see the world. I lived up near the Sandhills about 15 years ago.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

My excitement of going to MSFS seems to dwindle more and more seeing people’s thoughts about it :(

Senior Rookie Bragware: FSX Gold - Acceleration | HP Omen Obelisk Desktop | Intel Core i7 3.2 Ghz |16GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 | 1TB HD | 256 GB SSD (Gaming Computer)

REX Worldwide Airports HD

AS16 + ASCA

ORBX Global BASE

ORBX Freeware Airports

ORBX HD Trees

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is the same area in P3Dv3 using photo real scenery. If you want real you need to use FSEarth Tiles, it is as simple as that. FSET works with FSX, P3D and Xplane.

sandhill-SD.png

I don't fly anywhere now in the world without download the flight path first, it is awesome flying.

No, I think that is the Wildcat Hills. The sandhills are a vast field of grass covered sand dunes. They stretch from about Broken Bow to almost Alliance, and from just north of I-80 to almost South Dakota. When driving across them (about 100 miles), it is almost like being at sea on very rough water.

This is what they look like from about 6 feet up.

Sandhills.jpg

Edited by plainsman

The Nebraska Sandhills are not high relief hills but rather a field of constantly undulating sand dunes that have become fixed by a cover of grasses. The tallest in the whole field, would be less than 500 feet, and mostly they are 50-75 feet up and down across 100 miles. You could go from Bartlett to Alliance, and almost the entire trip is within the Sandhill complex.

The attached map shows the extent. Within the orange box you will note a peach shaded area. This is the Sandhill complex. This is the largest field of fixed dunes in the Western Hemisphere. Driving across them, particularly in February to April, is somewhat disconcerting, as the road goes up and down like being on a boat in rough seas, and this continues for 100 miles. In the middle of them, there is not anything to break your line of sight, no trees or buildings. In those months, the grasses are brown, so it is like a brown sea.

If you enlarge the second screenshot, you get the feeling of flying over a brown sea. This is accurate.

NE_Sandh.jpg

Edited by plainsman

Yes, it's very interesting from the air. I've driven it in a Miata and agree, it's somewhat like boating in a runabout on a blustery day. But never "flew" over it before yesterday.

These two shots are at a little over 17K.

17K 1.jpg

17k2.jpg

Though I almost never "fly" this high, it makes a fun change of pace/ Thanks for starting this link! I'm having fun

Michael

I just did a flight between Gordon (KGRN) and Ogallala (KOGA) at 7500'. Interesting area, I guess I always though Nebraska was farmland from one end to the other but this is a rather vast area that's not. You can see the dunes in google earth (and photoreal of course) but not so much with landclass type scenery. I'm running OpenLC NA and Vector for that area.

KGRN_KOGA_01.jpg

KGRN_KOGA_02.jpg

Actually, in the NW there is also the Pine Ridge, Pine forested slopes, from Chadron over to Crawford.

The Sandhills are ranching country. The ranches are quite widely spaced, so neighbor is a long range version.

Better is the enemy of good enough.......is it an aviation simulator, or a scenery simulator?

IMHO, a good "simulator" must simulate at least one of the two well. A great "simulator" can only be "great" if it simulates both very well! I hope "great" is what all sim designers are attempting to achieve!

Michael

Edited by Rupert