Idea: MSFS Screenshot Request Thread

djfierce

Hello, would anyone want to participate in a screenshot request thread? The main idea is for the new sim for those of us who don't have it yet to search out, but it can honestly be for any Microsoft version for those who'd like to see any particular scenery or aircraft. Would be great when requests are fulfilled, if the shots shared include whether they are stock, freeware addon or payware and if the latter to provide which versions.

I'll start.

I'd love to see some shots of KEUG Mahlon Sweet in Eugene Oregon, and a couple of items from the surrounding area.

Autzen Stadium (University of Oregon)

Sacred Heart Riverbend Hospital in Springfield: Is there a helipad on the roof?

Cottage Grove Community Hospital (20 miles to the south)

Mercy Medical Center in Roseburg, OR. Is there a helipad next to the hillside parking lot?

Thanks in Advance! - James

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10

I'd like to see some shots from FS2020 if full offline mode, I understand it reverts to landclass type scenery but I have yet to see a shot of what it looks like.

Great point Jim!! I'm not at all comfortable having to be online all the time! What happens when the net is down? And yes, especially in winter, that happens around here.

"Flying" is something I can enjoy doing when the weather's terrible outside and the internet is down. That's one of the reasons I haven't rushed a purchase.

When I buy something I like to own it, not hope the service won't quit and then not be able to use it! That's just renting.

Michael

Being an old chopper guy I usually fly low and slow.

I'll also add to my comment about renting software. Yesterday I saw at least two posts from people still using FS9. And many, including myself, are still using FSX. Microsoft quit "supporting" FS9 and FSX long ago. But those who own FS9 or FSX, etc. can and do still enjoy them.

Those who only rent software are always in peril of losing the use of it at the whims of a corporation.

Michael

Edited by Rupert

Another point in the rent versus owning issue.

We are still seeing many posts from owners of FS9, FSX, and other older software. And personally, I still own and use both as well. And as most know, Microsoft quit "supporting" FS9, FSX, and several other flight sims a long time ago.

Those who only rent software are always at the mercy of whomever they rent it from. Since I own my software, Microsoft can't take it away from me just because they came out with a newer product.;)

Michael

I strongly agree with the owning vs. renting argument. I don't like to rely on a remoter server or a sometimes unreliable internet connection when I want to fly. Normally I have good fast internet service, however there are times (especially during this pandemic) when the service is very slow or completely unavailable for some periods of time.

Also, I would like to see actual scenery file size numbers per continent for both the full online version and the default off line landclass version. I realize the full online version must be huge, but storage technology is increasing while physical hardware sizes are decreasing every year.

Larry

Larry, I don't know specifics, but I read somewhere it would take 800 SSDs to hold all the online scenery. I don't know if those were 125GB or 2TB SSDs but it is a prohibitively huge amount of data.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Found out that MSFS 2020 has 2 Petabytes of geographical information.

A petabyte is a measure of memory or data storage capacity that is equal to 2 to the 50th power of bytes. There are 1,024 terabytes (TB) in a petabyte -- or 1 million gigabytes (GB). That would be equal to 1,024 2 TB SSDs.

Larry

Since your on the subject of on-line/off-line. I switched off the Bing Data World Graphics/Photogrammetry (Or whatever it is called) setting and even dis-connected my modem cable. I was able to fly OFF-LINE, once.

The next time I loaded up the sim, it was asking me to insert disc? This is a download version.

So how does one switch on/off line WHILE OFF-LINE?

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I see Seagate now has 4TB SSDs, that would only be 512 of those. They are ~$720 apiece, I bet they would cut you a deal at $365,000 for the lot. Now a place to put 512 SSDs......
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I see Seagate now has 4TB SSDs, that would only be 512 of those. They are ~$720 apiece, I bet they would cut you a deal at $365,000 for the lot. Now a place to put 512 SSDs......

Set up your own local server to cache the data using a BackBlaze StoragePod, or two, and then fill it with 18TB NAS drives.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/

Hey guys... you know that Local Cache can be used to save the areas you fly most in, for off-line flights. And it's not a data hog either. I cached eastern Wisconsin and Illinois, from Menomonee, MI to Gary Indiana and it only took 8gbs. Normal detail except high detail around Green Bay, Milwaukee and NE Illinois including Chicago. West to Rockford, up Madison and Tomahawk. Edited by stempski

Asus Z590 P, Intel I7-10700K, nVidia RTX 4070, 64gb ram(3200), 2 nvme ssd (2 tb total),

Samsung QN90B 43" 4k@120hz, Bose Companion 5 PC speakers, Velocity Flight One