Aircraft ranges

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that the stated ranges for most of the aircraft are incorrect especially the jets and airliners? I attempted a flight from Orlando to Frankfurt, Germany in the 787 which has a range of over 8,000 nautical miles. The flight is a little over 4,000 miles. I topped off the fuel tanks. I climbed to cruise altitude and selected cruise speed and ran low on fuel before I arrived in Frankfurt. I have also noticed that both Cessna jets can't fly anywhere near their stated ranges. maybe I'm doing something wrong. Thanks in advance for any help. Edited by redbird1

If you let AI take over, it flies very very inefficiently. If you go into showcase mode, that is AI control.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

If you let AI take over, it flies very very inefficiently. If you go into showcase mode, that is AI control.

Thanks. I'll try that for the long boring parts of the flight. Do I have to get the plane up to cruising altitude before I engage the AI?

Thanks. I'll try that for the long boring parts of the flight. Do I have to get the plane up to cruising altitude before I engage the AI?

No, he meant you shouldnt use AI control, of i you go too much into Showcase camera AI control takes over

If you arent using I believe the default fuel consumption does have an issue as I read in MSFS forums. If you want correct consumption suggest you use the 787 Mod

Edited by Kapitan

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

No, AI is worse!!! Stay in the cockpit view for the whole flight if you want full range, and fly by the numbers, efficient cruise is about mach 0.78 and cruise altitude 36-39,000 feet for 787, 0.76 and 35-37,000 feet for the A320. Edited by plainsman
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

I have found similar problems with the Cessna jet and the TBM. The amount of fuel you can load is far short of the real world specs and the Cessna cannot even get from Auckland to Sydney when it should be good for a much longer flight. I've checked the fuel burn rate and flown at high altitude.

There is a discussion over at Avsim (think it might be the PMDG one) which states Asobo have got the fuel consumption all wrong. Apparently it is linked entirely to throttle position and doesn't differentiate between fuel burn at ground level or altitude. That explains why the GA aircraft are falling out the sky after 200 miles and not 400 miles and now it seems the jets too.
Vern.

There are links to several fuel consumption Mods over at the MSFS Insider Aircraft forum: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/c/aircraft/150 most of the mods are on Github.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64