How Do You Find Airport Codes?

Surprised there seems to be nothing on this forum addressing this basic issue. I had assumed there was a search engine built into the home page -- but no; it can only find a four-letter code. So, if you know the code, you can go to any of the 37,000 airports advertised.

Well, I still have P3D installed, so I guess I can stop there first and search by city or airport name, as in FSX. But that's a bit tedious. How on earth could the developers have left this function out?

Mac6737

Also, if you have SkyVector, you will find the basic codes on the map. You may have to add a national letter on the front of those.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

You can enter the airport or city name if you don't know the ICAO code. You can also zoom out of the map using your mouse wheel, then click and drag the map to the airport location, zoom back in and select 'set as departure' or 'set as arrival'.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I do a quick Google search.

Herlong Airport code (comes up with HEG, I know to put the "K" there)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Surprised there seems to be nothing on this forum addressing this basic issue. I had assumed there was a search engine built into the home page -- but no; it can only find a four-letter code. So, if you know the code, you can go to any of the 37,000 airports advertised.

As I posted earlier, you CAN enter an airport or city NAME into the Departure or Arrival window.

A list of airports with that name (or part thereof) will drop down and you can select the one you want from the list.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

As I posted earlier, you CAN enter an airport or city NAME into the Departure or Arrival window.

A list of airports with that name (or part thereof) will drop down and you can select the one you want from the list.

Thank you, Tiger, for telling me the in-sim answer.

Yes, I figured you could go online and search, but that's cumbersome, too.

Your earlier post is not completely clear about use of the mouse wheel and "dragging the map" [?], but here's what I discovered:

You can zoom IN on the globe depicted on the home page until you're close enough that the ICAO codes pop up!! Who knew? Oh, have I mentioned there's NO MANUAL?

I have yet to try entering the name of the airport, but my post was right after I had tried the familiar name of an airport (Beef Island) and came up short. I'll try again tonight.

Thanks again,

Mac 6737

USA Navigation maps download has a lot of the USA airport codes.

Yes, but that wasn't my point. I'm sure the ICAO codes aren't secret. The issue is how to find a code when you are in the sim. For example: you're flying along, and a passenger goes into labor. Divert to the nearest airport, right? But how do you (a) find it, and (b) set your GPS to it? Good luck, Doc. Hope you brought your rubber gloves along.

And, for the benefit of future readers, I have now discovered that (at least in my install of MS2020) you CANNOT enter a name of a city or an airport in the "Search" box. You have to enter the ICAO code.

Sorry, Tiger.

Mac6737

I think you are only partly correct. If you enter a key word, it will search and list several choices. For example if I am looking for Kansas City International, if I type in Kansas City International I don't get the airport. But if I type in just Kansas, it is in the list. Kansas City works also. Now look for Harrison Field in Knox City, TX. If you put in Knox or Knox City, it is in the list.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU