Old Timer is back 2020

after a good ten years away from flight sim and many many real life adventures that took me around this wonderful world, I'm back!!!

I bought the sim last night from CDkeys and is now downloading premium Deluxe from the MSN website as I type this... yep it's a very very long download..... this will keep me sane through all the lockdown virus mess...... so guys one of your oldest members of FlightSim.Com is back and looking forward to making new friends in the air and in the forum....

One thing I would like to ask, is there a PMDG 747 for this new sim???????

Edited by daspinall

ASRock X570 TAICHI Mother Board

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.79 GHz *Overclocked*

Corsair 240mm H100i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Intel/AMD CPU Liquid Cooler

Corsair DOMINATOR PLATINUM RGB 64GB 3600MHz *Overclocked*

MSI NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24GB SUPRIM X Ampere.

1000W PSU. Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD. HP Reverb G2 + Oculus Quest 2

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

Welcome back :)

Probably would have been better buying it from the MS store or Steam but...

hope it works ok

I too am (re)installing it as we speak. I expect it’ll take a couple of hours.

Just upgraded the pc so I’d no choice

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

No real addon aircraft just yet. They will come, but old versions can't just port over. They will have to be rebuilt, which takes time. There isn't a large body of knowledge yet, about how to create accurate FDE and model building tools needed. I am sure folks like PMDG have more information on how these things work, but they are meticulous, so they will want to test and make sure everything is just right before they release something that is close, but ultimately hurts their reputation for exacting standards. That takes time!
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

So many people are coming back and new fresh simmers being added to the MSFS community

very good! its creating a gap of user quantity with other versions, impossible not to realize the future possibilities

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

The planes are available from the world map menu. Click on the map, and you will select a location for departing and arrival. then you select the airplane from the gallery which opens when you click the plane in the upper left.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

Wow, hope I’m still flying when I get to your age :)

I presume you’re now at the main screen? (Welcome page)

If you click on the World map you can then choose your aircraft & departure Airport, also weather etc

From there you can click “fly” & wait for it to load

You may need to setup your controls first though (although you can do it anytime, inc mid flight)

If you need any assistance there are plenty of us here willing to help

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Thanks... well i got the Cessna 172 flying but hard to control with the keyboard
You will find all of the aircraft harder to fly because the flight model is a lot more accurate than previous sims. It's great when you get them nailed though! Keep at it and you'll get there (pardon the pun [emoji5])

Enjoy the learning as we all are with thus new sim.

Stinger

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Thanks g7rta I'm going through the same process now the patches oh my are they slow. like other I have very vast broadband yet makes no difference on Microsoft servers!! I reckon somewhere around midnight my time the patch download will complete.... I got the the premium Deluxe for £88.99 on CDKeys...

Samsung Odyssey G9 C49G95TSSR - QLED monitor - curved - 49" - 5120 x 1440 Dual Quad HD @ 240 Hz

thanks plainsman

thanks Kapitan, good to be back..... I'm going to invest in a yoke and pedals this time around.... so much to choose from ha

Thanks Doods I'm in no rush.... retired now and have all the time in the world......

Mine crashed three times while downloading. Finally managed it but then the sim crashed a couple of times. I decided to wipe the lot (inc Windows) & am reinstalling drivers at the moment.

Once Windows is sorted.. back to downloading msfs again! The joys eh? :)

Regards

Steve

Thanks... well i got the Cessna 172 flying but hard to control with the keyboard

I am even older than you, have been flight simming since FS2 back in the early 80s, and thought I was fairly good at flying in FSX. But I have to tell you, MSFS is a whole new ball game in almost every respect. Learning my way around in this sim is a project, at times frustrating but the bottom line is, it is worth the effort! What it takes is patience and perseverance. The main difference from earlier sims is the level of realism in flight, which is huge, not only in the handling and coping with weather conditions but also in the fact that the cockpits and panels are modeled after the real ones -- no more 2d panels or short cuts -- which requires some effort to gain familiarity. You will need a controller or joystick to really master this thing -- doing it on a keyboard alone is not impossible, but certainly difficult.

Good luck!

"patience and perseverance" I think every microsoft sim has taken most of us there... I expect there will be bugs and so on which will be worked out eventually... I hope its all worth it in the end and it becomes the sim of flight sims....... thanks cobalt

Welcome back David, it's been a long time. :) I think you'll enjoy the new FS very much, it will be an eye-popping experience to say the least. If you need any help there are a lot of great people here if need be. :)

A lot of the old gang are long gone, except Jan and a few others. Oh, speaking of Jan, he hasn't mellowed with age, in fact he has gotten progressively worse over the years. ;)

Adam

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

thanks adam, I do remember you and Jan.... I finally finished the installed 01;30 this morning and it crashed a few times... parked it went to sleep, updated graphic drivers and tried this afternoon and managed a flight from CYPK - Pitt Meadows to CYXX - Abbotsford Airport... no flight controls for the next few days, managed it all on keyboard (some skills never die) ha Graphics set to high end and it did the compleat flight with no system crashes... I really like what I've seen so far. I think i'm going to luv it, buying yoke and pedals this coming week.... finally it was a long installation but worth it in the end....

BTW, I was biguglyguy back in the old days. I became plainsman when MicroSoft Train Simulator came out, Nels eventually merged me as plainsman on both forums.