Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone NOT using a widescreen monitor?

1. Default Anyone NOT using a widescreen monitor?

I'm debating going to a non widescreen monitor for FS9. Anyone using FS9 this way?

Going to have to wait weeks for a CPU to arrive for my Win 7 machine before I start a new fresh install of FS9. In the meantime, I'm trying to finalize how I will have my FS9 set up permanently.

I posted a pic of my flight sim set up for FS9 as it was back in 2004 in the MSFS forum. I'll post it here again.
    Looking at this pic, I'm almost thinking I would like to go back to this monitor set up.

Mark Daniels

2. Default

I think I know why you'd want a to do this....
    RJ
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 3Green; 09-19-2020 at 09:37 AM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 3Green View Post
    I think I know why you'd want a to do this....
    RJ
    lol

I can totally understand you looking at the question and thinking wtf????
    However, I play many old games on a 19inch 1280x1024 monitor. Why? Because you get to play the game without visual problems and as was originally intended. There are widescreen patches for most games but the vast majority of patches result in some kind of sacrifice and won’t display the game 100% correctly.

FS9 isn’t greatly affected by the widescreen downsides but it sure would be nice to have 2D panels display without being stretched. The size of the monitor you quickly get used too and I don’t miss a bigger screen at all when playing games on the 19 inch. I totally enjoy playing games on this monitor.

The other point with FS9 is I have Aerosoft Heathrow. With the 19 inch monitor resolution it may be possible to get acceptable FPS running their HD textures and I know on widescreen it won’t.

It’s just a thought and was curious if there is anyone out there still using one.

Hope you see some logic here 3Green? lol
    Mark Daniels

4. Default

Ah yes, the old 4:3 aspect ratio issue.

Bad memories are now returning regarding running FS9 with Win7x64 and in full screen.
    I recall some add-on aircraft had flashing gauges in full screen which I couldn't get fixed, but I digress.

Back to your issue which I hated too, the stretched 2D panel and those oval gauges.
    What type of video card you are you planning to use? Nvidia?

RJ

5. Default

I want to demonstrate something else which I think people are absolutely NOT aware of.

Going to widescreen you generally have a bigger physical image in front of you. When we changed to widescreen monitors, we also went up in the size of our screens. We have a larger physical image.

This is really where all benefits stop. When viewing in widescreen, we might be doing it on a bigger screen but we do it with distortion and we also see LESS of the game area! If this isn't enough, by stretching things on widescreen we also lose sharpness so you will find you have a crisper image (game graphics) on a non widescreen monitor.

Here are examples below. You will notice if you look at the panel, the amount of panel you see is the same in both widescreen and non widescreen. However, if you look at the exterior elements, you will notice you don't gain anything in width on a widescreen monitor. You don't get to see more of the game image but you actually see less!
    While the game image visible left and right on both types of monitors are the same, the top and bottom of the exterior views get cropped off on a widescreen monitor. You see less of the game graphics with a widescreen monitor. You also see the game graphics with less sharpness. (You can't judge the sharpness difference from the screenshots btw due to resizing I have done.)

There is good argument for going back to the old days and using non widescreen. Apart from a physically bigger screen in front of you, all other benefits favor the traditional monitor. This is why I am considering changing back to where it all began.

Traditional Monitor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	01.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	475.5 KB 
ID:	221996

Widescreen Monitor

Name:	02.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	374.1 KB 
ID:	221997

Traditional Monitor

Name:	03.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	221998

Widescreen Monitor

Name:	04.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	312.9 KB 
ID:	221999
    Mark Daniels

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 3Green View Post
    Ah yes, the old 4:3 aspect ratio issue.

Bad memories are now returning regarding running FS9 with Win7x64 and in full screen.
    I recall some add-on aircraft had flashing gauges in full screen which I couldn't get fixed, but I digress.

Back to your issue which I hated too, the stretched 2D panel and those oval gauges.
    What type of video card you are you planning to use? Nvidia?

RJ
    Just made a second post above to clarify more reasons why I am considering a change.
    The Win 7 machine for FS9 will have a 3.2GHz CPU, 8gig RAM, GTX970 card.
    Mark Daniels

7. Default

One other final point I failed to mention, I remember the feeling of claustrophobia when I first switched to a widescreen monitor. You can see it in the comparison with the 2D panel above. In non widescreen, you get to see more height (more outside image) above the panel in non widescreen than you do in widescreen. Things don't feel as closed in on a traditional monitor.

Edit: One other critical factor/advantage of the additional area you can see top and bottom on a traditional monitor, on approach, runways that may fall below the panel and out of view on a widescreen monitor may be totally visible on a traditional monitor!

And I think after all these comparisons I have just convinced myself FS9 is for a traditional monitor and that's what I will use! lol
    Last edited by Skywatcher12; 09-19-2020 at 01:36 PM.
    Mark Daniels

Hi,

Back in the day there was a long conversation about this. The reason you are getting incorrect views with your widescreen monitor is that you haven't changed the ZOOM. When the screen gets wider, the zoom must get lower - that way the same amount of scenery top to bottom is viewable, and you get the benefit of more scenery viewable on the sides. What's more, that's the only way to keep the proper view proportions out the window.

FSX took care of this with a widescreen switch in the fsx.cfg file, but when using FS2004 you must do this with the zoom control manually.

But how much do you need to reduce the zoom?

FS2004 was designed to use 4:3 monitors, and to use a zoom value of 1 for the "correct" view. I know many people use a lower zoom value to see more, but that will distort your view. A large widescreen monitor will help with this and let you use a normal zoom value instead.

As the screen proportion widens from 4:3 you will need to lower your zoom value to compensate. Before I get into the math, the typical values are:

16:9 proportion: zoom = 0.75
    16:10 proportion: zoom = 0.83 (I use 0.85)

Here's how to calculate how much:

1. Divide your display height by the width. For example, if you use a 1600 x 1000 display ratio, then 1000 / 1600 is 0.625.

2. Now divide this number by 0.75, the display ratio of a standard "square" screen (4:3). In our example, 0.625 / 0.75 = 0.83.

3. Adjust this number to the nearest 0.5 value. This is your new desired Zoom value. In our example, 0.83 becomes 0.85.

4. For the 2D panel, edit the Views section of the panel.cfg file found in the plane's panel folder to change the zoom values to your new zoom value (0.850 in our example).

5. After loading the plane, in VC View change the zoom to your new value and save a Flight.

Hope this helps,
    Tom Gibson

CalClassic Propliner Page: http://www.calclassic.com

9. Default

Mark, as you know many old games including FS9 need a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Your 19 inch monitor (1280x1024) is not running a "true" 4:3 ratio (4/3 = 1.333333).
    1280/1024 = 1.25 It's close, but...

Not many 4:3 monitors available these days, and if you find one, they're rather small.

This might help you not only with FS9, but all your older games.

Using nVidia's Control panel I created a custom resolution.
    (Click on "Change resolution", "Customize". "Create Custom Resolution").

Back in the day, I bought the biggest widescreen LED (27 inch) with a native resolution of 1920x1080.
    1920/1080 = 1.77777 (not 4:3)

I'm currently using a custom resolution of 1440/1080 = 1.333333 on my 27" LED monitor (full screen mode) with no issues. It creates two blank bands on either side as you can see in the photos below.

RJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WidescreenRunning4to3.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	219.1 KB 
ID:	222017   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1440x1080.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	222018  

10. Default

Thanks Tom but I'll have to test that. If you change the zoom values you should affect the distance perspective...I think...
    It still only covers the outside area issue but doesn't help with distortion or loss of sharpness problems which have no possible fix.
    Mark Daniels

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast