Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: KerrSpectives - A Thinking Man's Guide To Add-ons

Blog Entries

Default Article: KerrSpectives - A Thinking Man's Guide To Add-ons

Well said Kenneth. I said when I first tried the beta that 2020 will be a world beater and I think it will go on to outsell every other flightsim providing they can sort out the problem users seem to be having with the heavies!!

You talk about 'new developers' ripping people off - when some have the stalwarts as you would call them are doing exactly that putting out shoddy rehashed merchandise...... several which you showcase above.....don't think I can take you seriously your obviously a 'bought' man.

A fine, informed overview, touching on all the questions I would have asked. Thanks, eh.

Before the new sim appeared, I was sure I'd hang on to my previous one -- along with all the payware -- and go back for occasional visits, but every time I do so, I don't last longer than five minutes or so. Amazing leap, MSFS 2020!

@SHP18ET

So, let's call it out--since Kenneth featured only one "showcased" product in his post/photo. If you don't like the quality of the products Orbx or anyone else has released to this point, or you don't like the value proposition (too expensive for a "rehash", that is your assessment as a potential customers. Others, in the free market, will come to different conclusions about value.

There is no need to talk about people being "bought" or releasing "shoddy rehashed" work. The market is the market, and it's what makes this hobby so amazing--some folks won't purchase ANY add-ons and rely totally on the freeware market (where you are also free to walk-on-by), while others love certain payware vendors or avoid others.

Be courteous and respect others in our hobby--you are free to ignore those that you want, but no need to inflame.

Quote Originally Posted by neilfb View Post
    Well said Kenneth. I said when I first tried the beta that 2020 will be a world beater and I think it will go on to outsell every other flightsim providing they can sort out the problem users seem to be having with the heavies!!
    Yes, it will outsell them all. It cannot help but do that with the targeted penetration into new markets. It also will because it provides such an advanced starting out platform visually. But, the ongoing work must continue for years by Asobo to also to "up the game" within the sim. If they do that, they will never need to release a new version, just new updates.

- Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by shp18et View Post
    You talk about 'new developers' ripping people off - when some have the stalwarts as you would call them are doing exactly that putting out shoddy rehashed merchandise...... several which you showcase above.....don't think I can take you seriously your obviously a 'bought' man.
    I genuinely thank you for your very honest reply. You are stating your opinion, just as I am stating my perspectives. I defend our mutual right to do that.

I agree with you that companies re-issuing a new version of an existing product do need to be careful about what they are doing. If there are things to improve on, then they should take the opportunity to make those improvements in their new version. This would be far better than charging the same customers money again for the same thing without changing anything. That's partly why I suggested that we review our spending habits. In some cases I have several versions of the same product over the years for FS2004, FSX, and P3d. Not sure I would buy them again if there was no significant improvement. (Or unless it was a must-have in my eyes).

You mention the word "shoddy." That's a personal judgement. What's sub-standard to one person might be perfect to another. Again, we all approach the hobby differently. For example, a person could call a study-level airliner "accurate", but to me it would be "too complicated" based upon my preferences and personal perceptions. I also recognized that Carenado has their detractors, it was something I didn't hide. Instead I praised their visual skills, and that is a strength. I also called them out for not supporting the very stores that have helped build their success.

Change of subject. If you decide not to take me seriously, that's fine. However, I will take this opportunity to answer your suggestion that I am a "bought" man.

In the review...

1. I purchased the Carenado 182T with my own money as a customer, for my own use, based on my own choices and preferences. I did not buy it to review it, I reviewed it because I had it, and had used it. Carenado had no idea I would mention it in any review.

2. I bought ORBX Innsbruck as a customer, again with my own money. I grabbed it because I liked the discount I would get as an owner of the AFS2 version. ORBX did not know I would review it.

3. Taburet Fishburn was supplied by Flightsim.com as a review copy at my request. I had no contact with Taburet, and Nels expects my total honesty and unbiased reporting in my reviews. To do anything different would be unethical, "bought for" as you suggest, and unfair to our readers. Notice that even though I got it free, I did point out the FPS problem. And, when Taburet gets this issue under control, (if it is something in his product causing it), I will gladly tell people that too. Taburet is generally good at what he does, and I personally want to encourage him to keep going.

4. I bought Smoothtrack with my own money. No contact with the developer.

5. Flightsim.com supplied the copy of the SoFly manual at my request. I have yet to give it a proper review, but will, and it will be honest in reflecting my personal, unbiased, uninfluenced opinions.

6. Aerosoft Paderborn/Lippstadt was free from the Microsoft store. Anyone can get it. I was genuinely impressed and wanted to tell people that.

7. Neil's farms are free. They cater to my kind of flying, and so I highlighted them with genuine enthusiasm.

8. The Tiger Moth was free. It no longer works after the patch, so I reported on that.

9. Landmarks. I did not call out a specific freeware artist, but I did mention a couple of commercial companies only because they are the first ones now doing commercial landmark additions. The products I mentioned were not illustrated, used, or reviewed. I cannot review what I have not used, but I can mention them to inform the reader of their availability.

10. Repaints, just a quick mention of freeware.

As you will see from the list, I do not get every product for free, and I very rarely have contact with developers. I do get some products supplied, but the supply of a $10 dollar product in return for a 14-hour session of concentrated work as a professional writer really does not influence my writing. I typically charge $50 to $100 an hour as a professional writer, and significantly more for a speaking engagement. I am doing these reviews without pay for the love of the hobby, and even the supply of a thousand dollar product would not influence my writing.

I served three Canadian newspapers as a journalist, and I also owned an independent news business. I spent two years as a professional biographer. I have authored and published more than ten paperback and hardback books across several genres. In my writing, I have always been very honest, critical, sometimes very opinionated, but never "bought." I resigned from one newspaper once because the editor changed my unbiased opinion in favor of an advertiser! While you had every right to express your opinion that I was "bought", I hope you will take time to read this reply, as it allows me to address that suggestion very openly. Should you continue to decide I am not worthy of your trust, again that is your individual and absolute right.

Enjoy flightsimming. No matter what we might disagree on, we do share this hobby. And, that gives us more in common than differing opinions on certain products.

Regards
    - Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by graaant View Post
    A fine, informed overview, touching on all the questions I would have asked. Thanks, eh.

Before the new sim appeared, I was sure I'd hang on to my previous one -- along with all the payware -- and go back for occasional visits, but every time I do so, I don't last longer than five minutes or so. Amazing leap, MSFS 2020!
    Is that a Canadian "eh" in there? You know, I had a hard time with that when I first moved to Canada from the UK. I was always used to people saying "eh" as an invitation for my response in conversation. So, in those early days, I would begin to respond while they kept talking! Used to it now, after 32 years in Canada, but still don't say it myself - LOL

I also thought I would keep using an earlier sim, and the small fortune's worth of addons for it. BUT, I flew the same area in both sims back-to-back and my old sim felt cartoonish by comparison. I did not expect that. I also shut it off after about five minutes. BUT, to be fair I was comparing a photo scenery area in MSFS 2020with a non photo scenery version in my old sim.

- Kenneth

Quote Originally Posted by wcs3 View Post
    @SHP18ET

So, let's call it out--since Kenneth featured only one "showcased" product in his post/photo. If you don't like the quality of the products Orbx or anyone else has released to this point, or you don't like the value proposition (too expensive for a "rehash", that is your assessment as a potential customers. Others, in the free market, will come to different conclusions about value.

There is no need to talk about people being "bought" or releasing "shoddy rehashed" work. The market is the market, and it's what makes this hobby so amazing--some folks won't purchase ANY add-ons and rely totally on the freeware market (where you are also free to walk-on-by), while others love certain payware vendors or avoid others.

Be courteous and respect others in our hobby--you are free to ignore those that you want, but no need to inflame.
    Thank you for this perspective. Yes, we are part of a free market as consumers, and so are the developers. As such we must all make our own choices, and support (or not support) the companies we resonate with. The lesson for the purchaser is to be sensible according to their own preferences and budget. The lesson for the developer is that not everyone will buy their offerings just because they release them. The commentator provided a reminder that companies should not just re-issue old products without giving consideration to improved quality. I think ORBX got a slap in the face with their first version of London landmarks, and I'm sure that was a wake-up call for them.

- Kenneth

A quick note:-

In my article above, I mention that I got significant FPS drops in Taburet Fishburn. For comparison, I received a copy this morning of Taburet Shoreham, released today. There are no such FPS drops in this product. A few visual anomalies, but no performance hit as in Fishburn. I am leaving this feedback to be fair to the designer, and to accurately report my findings so far.

- Kenneth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast