Has anybody figured out how to add your own menu music?

FSX was easy. Just drop in a .wav file and select it in the sound settings.

With all these packaged elements of MSFS, not sure how to go about it and I'm all ready tired of the current three choices.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I'd like Frank Sinatra's 'Come fly with me' or possibly 'Shine on you crazy diamond' part 1 by Pink Floyd.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

Here I was happy with the Top Gun theme, Danger Zone and the music from the 2015 Boeing 787 Paris Airshow video on YouTube

Think the menu music is tucked away inside here...

Menu Music.jpg

Now need somebody to figure out how to crack it open :confused:

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro

I found the file Music.PC.PCK in the folder

Official\OneStore\fs-base-soundbanks\SoundBanks

Anybody know how to open a PCK file?

Greetings Charles and welcome to FlightSim!

LOL Your post was not there when I came to the same conclusion a day later :) I guess new members posts must get delayed for approval.

If you want to experiment with the file, BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP FIRST. I was hoping there was a way to add music to the Community folder so we wouldn't have to monkey with the original file.

Just found this on Google...

pck files are simply compressed versions of other files (mainly xml files). You can decompress them in a new folder with any application that handle zip, rar, gz, 7z files, then edit the decompressed ones in an xml editor (notepad++ is a good free one).

LOL Your post was not there when I came to the same conclusion a day later :) I guess new members posts must get delayed for approval.

If you want to experiment with the file, BE SURE TO MAKE A BACKUP FIRST. I was hoping there was a way to add music to the Community folder so we wouldn't have to monkey with the original file.

Just found this on Google...

A good find dogdish, but xml files don't play sounds unfortunately. I did a search myself and found a Wwise Unpacker on Github here: https://github.com/Vextil/Wwise-Unpacker

It works, you can copy the MUSIC.PC.PCK file into the Wwise Unpacker 'Game Files' folder, then run either the MP3 or OGG batch file. I ended up with 42 music mp3 files, mostly ambient sounds with one or two music tracks. I've no idea how you'd recompress them into pck format though.

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

...with one or two music tracks.

Were those the Color 1 and Color 2 of the menu music?

Possibly but split into two or three sections. The files are named music_01 and so on, not the track titles as they appear in the sim. I've now found the Wwise Soundbank app, but it's payware with a free trial. Maybe that would decompress and recompress the files, and show their track names etc.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Edited by tiger1962

The Wwise app is what Asobo used to create the sound files, so it'll be a learning curve to begin with but not impossible.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tiger, have you tried placing a .ogg file in the community folder and use a .json file pointing to it? I was hoping doing something like this (like adding aircraft textures) might work.

I haven't tried any sound editing myself, I've just searched for how it might be done. There is a freeware A320NEO sound mod though, so it can definitely be done.

EDIT: I just checked the A320 NEO mod and it uses freeware FSX A320 .wav sounds directly by naming them in the default MSFS A320 NEO .json file.

I've no idea how you could do this with menu music though!

Edited by tiger1962

I haven't tried any sound editing myself, I've just searched for how it might be done. There is a freeware A320NEO sound mod though, so it can definitely be done.

EDIT: I just checked the A320 NEO mod and it uses freeware FSX A320 .wav sounds directly by naming them in the default MSFS A320 NEO .json file.

I've no idea how you could do this with menu music though!

But...do you regard "freeware FSX A320" better than MSFS sound?

Have you seen the Asobo recording equipment and all they`ve been through to get the sounds?

how can some freeware from 2010 be better?

I know its not you but the guy that made the addon...still would like to know why he thinks his sound is better

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

But...do you regard "freeware FSX A320" better than MSFS sound?

Not at all! The freeware A320 sound is an FSX Pratt & Whitney A320 engine sound, no doubt plenty of people will think it's more like a real A320 NEO sound than the default just because it's a mod...

However, I mention it for the principle behind the mod (the way it's been done) rather than the mod itself.

Thanks, it did have to get approved by a moderator. I'm not exactly a new user, just haven't posted in 8 years or so!