MSFS Update - Patch No.2 now available

LOL No I "diverted" to Wick and plonked down on the grass in the middle of the airfield - technically a 'landing' I suppose. The sim is now downloading 15.69gb of goodies, one of which replaces a mod I've just installed from Github - the navsystems performance mod which allowed you to set the refresh rate of the mfd, pfd etc. screens. One mod I'll be hanging on to for now is the Tooltips reduced size & transparency mod - absolutely brilliant.

Would you be kind enough to share where you got this mod from?

Thanks.

i7-9700KF; RTX 2070 Super; Z390 Phantom Gaming 4S, 32gb G Skill 3600;

2TB 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVme; 2TB 860 EVO SSD; 1TB 860 EVO SSD; Li 205 ATX Case; Windows 10 Pro x64

@StubbornSwiss - I got it from a link on the official Microsoft Flight Simulator forum, in the Propeller/Turboprop sub forum of the Airplanes section. Sorry I can't post the link I'm away from my PC.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

I missed patch 1.7.14 but downloaded and installed today's patch. Now I'm concerned that I may have missed something from the first. Any ideas?

The update includes all previous patches. With the MS Store and Steam you will always get the latest version, so no need to worry about installing individual patches or service packs.

Finally got my download to stabilise by carrying out the process referenced at Avsim:

Run " netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal " in a Windows Command prompt and it seems to clear whatever is causing the patcher to fall over.

However (IMHO) Asobo and MS really need to consider how future patches are delivered. I've had my PC tied up for several hours now trying to sort this and because Steam thinks I am already logged in and playing FS, I can't run any other Steam game while waiting for the thing to complete.

Behemoth is the expression that comes to mind...

Edit: Spoke too soon. It's choking again. What a load of old tripe.

Edited by Elvensmith
Vern.

Finally got my download to stabilise by carrying out the process referenced at Avsim:

Run " netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal " in a Windows Command prompt and it seems to clear whatever is causing the patcher to fall over.

However (IMHO) Asobo and MS really need to consider how future patches are delivered. I've had my PC tied up for several hours now trying to sort this and because Steam thinks I am already logged in and playing FS, I can't run any other Steam game while waiting for the thing to complete.

Behemoth is the expression that comes to mind...

Edit: Spoke too soon. It's choking again. What a load of old tripe.

Just to add my own experience with this patch -- It downloaded about 23 G and then abruptly exited MSFS. I restarted the program. It reached the "looking for updates" stage, and then downloaded another 8 G or so of the patch, declared "installation complete" and then proceeded to continue restarting the sim. However, this time, getting past the "press any key to start" took awhile with repeated key starts by me, as the usual short videos kept repeating, but it finally let me in. Yikes. I sincerely hope the 31 G patch helps solve more problems than it seems to have created. After a month, I am a big fan of MS2020, but had no idea that just getting it to work well, coming to grips with how different it is from FSX in almost every respect, and dealing with patches like this latest one, would become a major project in my life. Good thing I'm retired, and good luck to those who aren't!

Steam only updates its own files related to the sim. Everything else, i.e. the big update comes when you start the game from Asobo/MS.

About to file a report with Zendesk about the patcher dropping out, still doing it. They need to have an option for an offline installer which just downloads as one executable or archive.

Vern.

Fresh start this afternoon and the problem is still persisting. About to go out for a couple of hours in the sunshine, see if it has managed to process anything when we come back.

Did a bunch of clowns programme this, or what?

I've tried the command line option as detailed a page ago, nothing heard from Zendesk so open to any suggestions as to how I can force the patch to complete?

Vern.

Well if they did, I wouldn’t like to be in their shoes :)

Sorry Vern, hope you manage to sort it

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Fresh start this afternoon and the problem is still persisting. About to go out for a couple of hours in the sunshine, see if it has managed to process anything when we come back.

I've tried the command line option as detailed a page ago, nothing heard from Zendesk so open to any suggestions as to how I can force the patch to complete?

In Windows Go to MS Store with your sim closed

Make sure you are looged on to your MS account

Find your MSFlightsimulator

On the three dots up left corner ... click and select play-download whatever it offers...

wait for the download to complete (about 900mb short file)

after that open the sim and will carry the remaining gigabite download without interruptions

many of the download pauses are caused by log accounts into MS not recognizing

if you start the update in the MS Store already logged in...no problems!

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I will try that but bear in mind this is the Steam version...

Doesn't show up in Windows Store.

One last thing to try, running as Admin from the Steam sub menu after inputting the previous string into the Command Line.

Edited by Elvensmith
Vern.

Nope that didn't work either - file gets to 2% then aborts back to zero.

Will leave it for now to save my temper, fly up to Beagle Point and back in Elite Dangerous by which time hopefully Asobo will have sorted out this meshiver.

wow! didnt know about Elite Dangerous, is it like a space flightsim? do you like it?

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Well now that's odd.

I shut down the program yesterday evening while it was still 5Gb short of the whole patch, trying to grab one of the big files.

This morning, I decided to see what was happening. I got the loading screen but no update menu then, after about 3 or 4 minutes, the normal thin progress line started to appear along the bottom. Went to clean my teeth and on coming back, presented with the in game menu screen.

Go figure...

Am hoping Asobo did something overnight which has enabled the patch to finish, my only concern is that somehow I ended up with a half patched version. Guess I'll find out when I try a flight later on!

Vern.

Just to confirm, turned out the patcher had aborted leaving me with a corrupted install. This has necessitated a complete reinstall of the game as there appears no mechanism to repair/replace just the damaged or missing files.

However the download looping is there with a vengeance, the only solution has been to use Net Limiter to cap the speed at 500KB/s (roughly 56 hours to download the whole 102Gb install again). This has got some of the files downloaded but it's not a practical solution for the big files as I'm not leaving the PC on overnight.

Numerous posts on the Steam FS forum and the official FS forum, but no-one from Asobo or MS is talking or even acknowledging the bug.

Total nightmare and completely unworthy of a company like Microsoft to put their name to this mess.

Vern.

Regarding downloads and installs.

I haven't read every post in this thread, and I haven't tried to download this yet, but it seems to work well or not at all. In my previous years of working with customers on installing programs we often went thru a list of possible reasons for download/install problems, and we looked at each individual computer as it's own fingerprint. I don't know if this is still valid, but it went something like this:

how much available hard drive space?

do you have a lot of temp files? clean them up if you do. In past years temp files wreaked havoc on complicated/large installs.

what antivirus software are you using? Have you tried the download/install with the firewall/AV disabled? (at your own risk of course, but i've seen it do wonders)

have you done a recent virus scan? (a full scan, not a quick one)

search and cleanup of malware?

is the need to defrag a hard drive still a thing?

have you restarted your computer or shut it down recently? (you'd be surprised how many problems i solved there)

are there multiple programs running at time of download/install?

browser make and version? Have you tried in a different browser? Is your browser jacked up with extensions from 3rd parties?

VPN or direct connection to ISP?

reliability of internet connection/speed?

DSL vs broadband vs satellite?

I'm not sure if any of those thoughts are still relevant in todays world, and I hope this doesn't upset anyone. I just know we in tech usually found reasons to blame the state of a customers computer or software that is already installed. The sheer size of this program makes me wonder if the state of ones hard drive has something to do with success or not.

The sad thing here is when a product is new and everyone is trying to download, it can be a combination of the above problems, and a problem with the software itself, or a problem on the vendors servers.

I hope this helps, as I'm not at all judging anyone who is struggling. Please don't give up!

Edited by djfierce

- James

Intel i7-10700F 2.9 gigahertz - 16GB Memory DDR4 3000 megahertz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB - 480GB SSD + 1TB HDD - Windows 10