Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to navigate properly using VOR's and DME's help ?

Smile How to navigate properly using VOR's and DME's help ?

I fly the 172 (non glass) a lot. After days I have figured out how to tune the nav radios but where do I get to see distance information ? I can get the bearings ok, but it's a bit useless without distance (of course unless you use 2 VOR's and triangulate). But why should I have to do that ? Where can I see the distance please anyone ?
    I have a more basic problem with the glass cockpits of things like the Daher and Citation. I don't even know how to tune the nav radios in those, so I can't navigate at all in those.

Got to go, I've got the Panama Canal coming into view !
    Any help would be appreciated.

It's been many years but in one of the previous Microsoft Flight Simulator releases there was a VOR tutorial I remember taking. There is no distance information being broadcast, but you can still navigate. You do have two VOR radios. What they want you to do is tune into the next two VOR points. You fly towards the first bearing until your second one has the correct bearing indicated. Then you start flying towards the second one and replace the first one with the third one, and onwards.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

3. Default

You will only get distance information if you're tuned to a VORTAC (a co-located VOR and TACAN station). A plain VOR will not send any distance (DME) information.

Well, on FSX I got distance readings from Pole Hill (112.1) and Otringham ((113.9). Now I don't.

All my life I've had distance readings from almost all VOR's.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by johnclift View Post
    All my life I've had distance readings from almost all VOR's.
    That's because most of them are VORTAC's...but not all.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
    That's because most of them are VORTAC's...but not all.
    As time goes by equipments are modernized or replaced by new ones.
    In the 70s DME was a rarity, only main international airports had them. You could say 20%
    In the 80s 40%
    90s 60%
    2000 70%
    2010 80%

So it depends when you were born and started flying...is what gives the impression that “all VORs have DME”
    “Reality is an illusion, one today, another one tomorrow”
    Kapitan
    Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

Blog Entries

And in the 60s VORs were a rarity and DME virtually non existant, mostly ADF
    In the 50s and prior ADF were a high tech instrument, its predecessor were simply radio AM stations.
    You switched the dial (rotating dial as an old radio) and when you hear the music or the guy talking, yep, thats the station, an arrow indicated its estimated direction. Morse code beeps came later

The first radio type gave the direction of the station based on a fixed 360 rose, relative direction from your heading, which required further calculations, then came the Omni directional Beacon Indicator, which gave a real direction from your actual heading

Planes had 2 adf , in flight plan you would select waypoints to mark your position that were an intersection of two stations. Example you follow straight to one but to know where you are you mark a 90 degrees from the arrow of a second station. Also done with VOR that has no dme

In the 50s (all thru the 70s) transatlantic airliners had a navigator. As you know there are no ADF in the sea so during the ocean crossing your position an heading had to be determined by the stars by the navigator, using sextants and charts, carefully plotting wind, estimates etc. This was specially true in south Atlantic crossings from Brazil to Africa and then Casablanca and London.
    Last edited by Kapitan; 09-19-2020 at 09:36 PM.
    Kapitan

So why can't I get distance info on Pole Hill and Otringham ? I have been getting distance info from them for 30 years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by johnclift View Post
    So why can't I get distance info on Pole Hill and Otringham ? I have been getting distance info from them for 30 years.
    Apparently they havent made it available in the steam panels. In the C172 you can check distance in the G530 nearest VOR function, but its not the same thing.

Hopefully the Dev MOD at Github.com for C152X and the 172 will soon make it available

Paywares will. Carenado Mooney Ovation released this week has DME displayed in vors
    Last edited by Kapitan; 09-20-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    Kapitan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast