Simulate fsx locked spot view in fs 2020

Hi, this new sim is completely different to FSX and there isn’t spot view as such, but there are other options like the drone.

There’s a guy on YouTube (known as Squirrel) who’s done some excellent tutorials. Check out this one..

As for your membership status, I think it’s down to the number of posts you’ve made.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Ctrl+shift+1 gives you a fixed external view behind the aircraft, if that's what you're thinking of. You can edit the camera position and angle in the cameras.cfg file in the folder of each aircraft.

I found the camera.cfg file but it doesn't have position or angle. It has eyepoint, is that what you mean. It has 22 camera definitions for this plane. I don't want to make changes without knowing for sure. Thanks steve

In the installation folder, under Official/OneStore, you will find each aircraft has it's own folder. With the Cessna 152, for example, in the asobo-aircraft-c152/simobjects/Airplanes/Asobo_C152 folder, you find the cameras.cfg file (each aircraft has its own cameras.cfg file). In this file there is a list of camera definitions. Camera definition 18 is the external view I'm talking about (unfortunately it's not the same for each aircraft). Under [CAMERADEFINITION.18] you will find InitialXyz and InitialPbh.

InitialXyz is the position of the camera, and InitialPbh is the angle of the camera. If you set InitialXyz to 0,0,-10, the camera will be 10 units behind the plane, if you set InitialPbh to 0,0,0 it should be looking straight ahead at the aircraft (the update replaced my editing with the default values, but I'm pretty sure that's what it was).

Hi gtox. I tried it with the extra, and it didn't change the view at all. I made all 3 numbers significantly different. The only thing it did, was make the menu system inaccessible. I had to restore the cfg file to the original to restore the menu. Maybe you can try it yourself, and see if you can get it working. Steve

Can't think of a reason why changing the xyz values would affect the menu, that's odd. With the Extra 330, I changed the InitialXyz values to 0,0,-10, the InitialPbh values to 0,0,0, went external view, hit Ctrl+ shift + 1 and this is what I get. You can also access the view from the camera menu, as seen in the second image.

extra.jpg

extra 2.jpg

Hmm...been so long since I've flown COF (2004) or FSX, but it seems that you could freely move the extra camera ( I think it was called "spot plane view," or something similar) to any point: sides, front, back, top, bottom, not to mention zoom, so what is up with severely limited IMO new program's camera you wonder?

bushp04

P.S. and btw, I would appreciate anybody's help in even FINDING THE DURN FILE that I patiently (3 1/2 hrs) waited on download from Microsoft!!!!!

Edited by bushp04
add comment

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"Fly Southern, Y'all"

bushp04

Have you tried the drone view?

Using the "Insert" key to launch it, I can zip around my plane in external view, zoom into objects etc. Wish I could use the mouse wheel to zoom, but oh well :)

Windows 10 Pro, 32 gigs DDR4 RAM, Nvidia GForce RTX 3070, Intel I7 10700 running at 3.8, with Noctua NH-L9x65, Premium Low-Profile CPU Cooler-HP Reverb G2 for Virtual Reality

Thanks gtox. It's working for me now! I thought ctrl shift 1 was the external default but it's not.

These numbers work pretty good for extra

Initialxyz=0,7,-15

Initialpbh=-20,0,0

But now I know how to do. Thanks a million gtox!

I must be missing something in this discussion. I just use the external view from the menu when flying and get what looks like the FSX locked spot view which can be moved with the POV hat switch on my controller and zoomed with the mouse wheel. Now if we are talking about a separate window, that's another matter.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

The problem with the normal external view is that when you move the plane, the camera lurches behind as if it's attached by a rope, whereas I sometimes want a view that where the camera remains in a fixed position relative to the aircraft. I can't remember what the view was called in FSX, it's not the locked spot (but it should be).

The problem with the normal external view is that when you move the plane, the camera lurches behind as if it's attached by a rope, whereas I sometimes want a view that where the camera remains in a fixed position relative to the aircraft. I can't remember what the view was called in FSX, it's not the locked spot (but it should be).

Okay. I really don't see a lot of movement when changing directions on the ground to the extent it's objectionable. In slew mode, the camera is totally locked in place.

Asus Prime Z490-P motherboard, Intel i7-10700K CPU, 32GB DDR4 3200 memory, GeForce RTX 2070-8GB video, 1TB M.2 SSD, Windows 10-64 bit, Acer 23"WS LCD and Benq 19" LCD, Logitech Flight Yoke, Thrustmaster Pedals, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick, TrackIR 5, MSFS Deluxe and FSX Deluxe, UTX-USA2, UTX-TAC, GEX-NA, ASN, WOAI

I must be missing something in this discussion. I just use the external view from the menu when flying and get what looks like the FSX locked spot view which can be moved with the POV hat switch on my controller and zoomed with the mouse wheel. Now if we are talking about a separate window, that's another matter.

Can you go as far away from the plane with that if you want?

I've found that some planes don't have a "FixedOnPlane_Tail" view. They call it something else. Also the developer mode window to change aircraft doesn't always work. I keep clicking on a different plane and it won't turn yellow. So I have to restart the whole program. Very time consuming. Also I was thinking when asobo does an update, they might overwrite the camera.cfg files you modify, so it might be a good idea to save backup copies of them somewhere else.