I'm not a pilot but...

hedbonker

The sim I am using is FS2020. I really want to learn how to navigate from point a to point b. I can land and take off just fine. There are two GA airports near me but I have never actually been to them. They are about 10 miles from each other. Santa Paula (KSZP) and Camarillo (KCMA). I fly the Cessna 172 G1000 in the sim generally.

If I create a flight plan from KSZP to KCMA, the flight plan details basically show an ascent to a certain altitude, then proceed on a given heading for a specific distance and then a descent but this does not really help me too much as I do not have details about how to approach the destination's runway etc. so I tend to fly right past it. Since I don't really know what these places look like visually I just know when I have flown too far, pause the sim and have a look about with the showcase drone. I typically find it at that point and see that I have passed it up.

Is there a tutorial somewhere that illustrates how to do this kind of thing for a new virtual pilot? Does not have to be specific to FS2020 obviously but one that uses the G1000 would be ideal.

Thanks!

I don't have that new sim, but the FAA has handbooks and manuals that cover all this and more at: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/handbooks_manuals/aviation/

It includes such titles as Airplane Flying Handbook, Flight Navigator Handbook, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Instrument Flying Handbook, Aeronautical Information Manual and more.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

• 1 month later...
Guest kedirimakmur
I agree with this quesrion "If I create a flight plan from KSZP to KCMA, the flight plan details basically show an ascent to a certain altitude, then proceed on a given heading for a specific distance and then a descent but this does not really help me too much as I do not have details about how to approach the destination's runway etc."

I agree with this quesrion "If I create a flight plan from KSZP to KCMA, the flight plan details basically show an ascent to a certain altitude, then proceed on a given heading for a specific distance and then a descent but this does not really help me too much as I do not have details about how to approach the destination's runway etc."

Same advice: Do a Real Flight and you will learn what a real aircraft can do. And what it can't...

There is little point in clarfiying what any aircraft can do without knowing WHAT that aircraft is, and how it is powered.

By searchin for:

Kszp icao

or

kcma icao

on Google I find info about the runways. (Real world info).

In the sim the runways may be slightly different, but they are usually very similar.

Here are two of the results I found:

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KSZP

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camarillo_Airport

By the way, these airports seem to be very small. that means they will be hard to spot from the air.

Practicing will be easier if you choose a bigger airport to navigate to. That way, once you're there, you'll definitely know.😃:D

happy flights!

il.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

You Tube is your friend here. There are loads of vids on basics, try the series by "Squirrel".

Unfortunately a lot of the offerings already assume you've half an idea of what you're doing. Also I think trying to learn from a handbook could be very frustrating, having been a PPL myself and introduced a lot of folk to flying.

You Tube is your friend here. There are loads of vids on basics, try the series by "Squirrel".

Unfortunately a lot of the offerings already assume you've half an idea of what you're doing. Also I think trying to learn from a handbook could be very frustrating, having been a PPL myself and introduced a lot of folk to flying.

Why do you think I suggest a REAL Flight?

NOTHING beats the expeerience. And now you can fly in the new-fangled electric aircraft the cost is more than reasonable...

https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/aircraft/electric-flight/alpha-electro/

Why do you think I suggest a REAL Flight?

NOTHING beats the expeerience. And now you can fly in the new-fangled electric aircraft the cost is more than reasonable...

https://www.pipistrel-aircraft.com/aircraft/electric-flight/alpha-electro/

Pipistrel (and Pilot magazine) are reporting electric-powered flight at £1 per hour!

Costs with maintenance between £6-7 an hour.

Any whingeing excuses for NOT flying?

• 3 months later...

I think what you are asking is how to create a "real" flight plan using the Garmin 1000. The Garmin will show you a path to take to the airport and even the approach to the runway. It will bring you around and line you right up with the runway. I am just starting to Learn on the Garmin 530 (I ordered one for my sim set up but still on back order) , but I can jump into the Cessna 172 (not with the glass Cockpit) and until my Garmin comes in, I can zoom in onto the 530 and use my mouse to set up a flight plan. You even pick your runway and vector. It's made for IFR (instrument flight reference) . Someone else said YouTube is your friend, well they are 100% right!!! Go to YouTube and type in "how to use thw Garmin 530" and or how to set up a flight plan using the Garmin 530.

That should get you started.

Good luck and happy flying