Sticky CH Flight Sim Yoke

Hi Folks

This isn't exactly about FS 2020 but it is affecting my flying for sure. My CH Yoke is very sticky and affecting my ability to smoothly hand fly, especially the final moments of landing. So two questions I hope someone can answer.

a) Has anyone tried WD 40 or graphite to unstick a yoke or are there electronics in there that I'm totally going to ruin if I do so?

b) Can anyone recommend a really good yoke for GA flying in FS 2020? I don't necessarily need lots of buttons and I do have a separate throttle quadrant, I'm just looking for really smooth performance.

Thanks Friends!!

Hi Ruffels44.

I see no one has yet responded to your question.

Coincidentally, I have owned a CH Flight Sim Yoke for 5 or 6 years and recently found it to not be smooth.

Pulled it out as far as I could and rubbed WD-40 on the shaft, not leaving any excess. I did the same at the other end by pushing the yoke full forward.

It seems to be running much smoother and I haven't had any side-issues (knock on wood).

“no one has yet responded to your question”

Not quite true - there’s a duplicate post further down the list.

Anyway, I hope wd40 does the job. I might pull my old CH Yoke out & try it.

Regards

Steve

Intel I9-13900K - Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX - 64Gb DDR5 5600Mhz - Asus RTX4090 ROG STRIX 24GB

3x 43” Panasonic 4k TVs - Corsair RMx 1200W PSU - 2 x 2TB M.2,  2 x 4TB SATA III and 1 x 4TB M.2 SSDs.

Pico 4  VR Headset - Honeycomb Alpha Yoke - Honeycomb Bravo Throttle Unit

Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals - Saitek Throttles

Hi Folks

This isn't exactly about FS 2020 but it is affecting my flying for sure. My CH Yoke is very sticky and affecting my ability to smoothly hand fly, especially the final moments of landing. So two questions I hope someone can answer.

a) Has anyone tried WD 40 or graphite to unstick a yoke or are there electronics in there that I'm totally going to ruin if I do so?

b) Can anyone recommend a really good yoke for GA flying in FS 2020? I don't necessarily need lots of buttons and I do have a separate throttle quadrant, I'm just looking for really smooth performance.

Thanks Friends!!

Virtualfly Yoko !!

Personally I haven't had to make a yoke unstick, but I have lubricated mechanical keyboards and speedcubes. I would not recommend WD-40 at all, as it is not really a lube, but a water repellent. It dries up over times, and leaves a sticky residue that attracts dirt and could make the problem worse. I also am not sure how safe it is on electronics or plastic. If I were you, I would try a silicon or teflon based grease. I have had good experience with these products:

The first one is a grease, thick and will stay in place for a long time. This would be my first choice.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBH9HI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The second one is a thin viscosity oil that you can use in places you can reach by allowing it to flow in there. Won't last very long as it is about the consistency of water. Will have to apply repeatedly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OBV1JC2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want a thicker viscocity oil than the second one, you can also try this one. It will stick around longer than the thin oil, but not as well as the grease.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-51004-Synthetic-Viscosity/dp/B000UKUHXK/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=Super+Lube&qid=1600232329&sr=8-9

Edited by rajgon

Hi Folks

Thanks Friends!!

WD-40 is not a lubricant, more of a solvent. Good for cleaning prior to lubricant. I have the CH Yoke and used Graphite, which will not attract dust and make things worse like grease. Teflon is also good. Since your yoke is out of warranty, you can take it apart to give it a thorough cleaning/lube.

Gigabyte GA-X99 Gaming G1, i7-5960X, Noctua NH-D14, Crucial Ballistix Elite 64Gb, Nvidia GTX Titan X, Creative ZxR, Ableconn PEXM2-130, WD Black SN750 250Gb & 2Tb NVMe/Gold 10Tb HDD, Sony BDU-X10S BD-ROM, PC Power & Cooling 1200w, Cosmos C700M, Noctua iPPC 140mm x6, Logitech M570/K800, WinX64 7 Ultimate/10 Pro