Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Article: Microsoft Flight Simulator Performance & Benchmark Analysis

Blog Entries

Excellent article.

Fascinating, if a bit unintelligible for the non-computer-expert types like me. I am beginning to think that the proper question might be - how does this run on XBox? As far as I know those things are whole orders of magnitude lower cost than the Cray emulators that are being discussed here!

The only drawback to running on a game console might be the compatibility with real sim control hardware, but that might be an opportunity for the bright guys and gals posting here to cobble up an interface!

So - how does this run on XBox?

Quote Originally Posted by avallillo View Post
    We don’t know because the Xbox edition hasn’t been released and they haven’t provided any more details about it. There are joysticks and throttles for the Xbox already, and more will likely come out to support the sim. Something to keep in mind with the console version is that you almost certainly be restricted to downloading add-ons from the built in Marketplace though.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by avallillo View Post
    Fascinating, if a bit unintelligible for the non-computer-expert types like me. I am beginning to think that the proper question might be - how does this run on XBox? As far as I know those things are whole orders of magnitude lower cost than the Cray emulators that are being discussed here!

The only drawback to running on a game console might be the compatibility with real sim control hardware, but that might be an opportunity for the bright guys and gals posting here to cobble up an interface!

Hi Avallillo, Jon from PremiumBuilds here!

I tried to balance the technical nature of the article with making it accessible for a more general audience, but it's not always easy!

I think the findings here are that MSflight 2020 is no where near as hard on hardware as people assumed. I did much of my testing on a Ryzen 3600 system, you can build a complete PC that plays Flight 2020 for well under $1000/£1000 - the Ryzen 3600 is great value and a good performer, but it's a mid range CPU with 6 cores avaialble for $170/£160. And as for graphics card, the card that impressed me most is the GTX 1660 super which performs really well at 1080p resolution (standard 'full HD'). Thats even agains the RTX 2080ti which is a £1000+ graphics card on its own (the Ampere RTX 3080 is now the go to card for FS2020 at the high end - if yo ucan find one for sale anywhere).

As for 'how does this run on xbox'? I'm interpreting that as 'how is it possible to run this on xbox'?, thather than 'how well does it run?' since no-one knows that.

Console developers have the luxury of fixed hardware specification. PC games are often bloated, and include options that kill any normal PC at launch time,in epxectation of the game taking advantage of more advanced hardware in future. On Xbox, the developers will be carefully balancing settings to maximise performance and balance the visuals. The Xbox has an 8 core CPU with decent performance, and a powerful and optimised graphics processor. It will also use DirectX 12, we're still stuck on DX11. DirectX 12 allows much more efficient low level access to the hardware, and also allows use of more than 4 cores, for example. SO we can hope that on PC the upcoming move to DX12 will substantially lift performance. THe Xbox version will probably run at a locked 30fps, and scale from 1440p to 4k, perhaps even dynamically altering scaling. All kinds of tricks theycan use to keep this smooth and pretty when you know exact limitations of hardware.

So one of the things I hope this article went towards debunking is that you need a supercomputer to run Flight 2020 - OK, you need a moderately good and fairly recent computer, but it doens't have to be a monster or cost the earth. The main thing is a reasonable underlying system, combined with a Graphics card well suited to the resolution you're trying to run.

Jon.

Blog Entries

Please Setup Comparison Using Triple Monitors

First - Thank you "Premium_Builds", I really like the way you controlled the variable by using a recorded flight from take-off to the Statue of Liberty.

Somebody over on the Assetto_Corsa forum, did an experiment for frame-rates on triple monitors and showed his results in a matrix. Can somebody please do that comparison for different flight sims. (If i were to get rich, I would get a triple monitor plus additional instrument panel (4x1080p = 1x4K)).

user Raf_Per on Assetto_Corsa 12/05/2019 Post#20 reads_in_part ...
    Did some extra testing last night:
    Performance/fps with 7680x1440: ...
    Borrowed 3 x 1080p and run exactly same sims/configs:
    ACC: Low (100-134ps), Mid (90-100fps), High 65-70fps) and Epic (49-50fps)
    PC2: Low (110-120fps), Med (60-100fps?), High (70-90fps?) I must have mixed up some settings here.
    iRacing: Good settings around 180fps but dropping to under 120 when racing against others.

Currently this type of experiment is way beyond my budget.
    Sure would be nice if somebody could compare frame-rates using triple monitors
    Sim ............. Good-Graphics . Best-Graphics . Super-Graphics
    FSX .................. X ............. Y
    X-Plane-10 ........... X ............. Y
    X-Plane-11.5(Vulcan) . X ............. Y
    MSFS-2020 ............ X ............. Y .............. Z

Maybe to make a "Fair" comparison, a second iteration having the "Best-Graphics" using the same resolution for scenery.

Our friends over in the car racing sims seem to get around 100-fps on the latest hardware for the view out the window.

Thank you Raf_Per and thank you Assetto_Corsa Forum
    https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i.../#post-1103616

Please and thank you
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by SpookyDiver View Post
    My custom built system consists of an i9-9900k CPU all cores @5ghz (Liquid Cooled), MSI Pro Carbon with 64 Gig RAM Corsair RGB 3200 Dominators, MSI RTX 2070 OC +170/+750, Drive C: 970 Pro M.2 512Gigs , Drive D: 2TB 970 EVO Plus M.2 NVMe, two 960 EVO 1TB SSD, and an external Raid Box. 34440x1440P wide screen monitor. My internet is 1 Gig Fiber.
    The only thing I don't have that it is not "optimal" is my video card. But even then, my "worst case scenario", with EVERYTHING (I mean everything) in ULTRA, and at my monitor's native resolution is 24FPS. This only happens when I am flying over a very dense city, such as Tokyo or Buenos Aires at a very low altitude, like 1500Ft. which is very unrealistic to fly that low. If I keep my altitude at up of 2500 feet, I average 30-34 FPS. IMHO, 25-30 FPS is acceptable and anything beyond that is a plus. This morning I was in middle of the hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico with all the magnificent looking clouds, and I was able to look at my plane and clouds with the external CAM moving it as fast as I could without any hiccups, all at 28-30 FPS. And the most noticeable thing is that my CPU runs at maybe 40-55%, while my video card runs at 99-100%. Moral of my story, the CPU doesn't matter much, what matters is your video card and having at least 32 gigs of fast RAM and a very fast internet connection. A lot of the folks that are having problems will be able to solve it most likely with a new video card.
    SpookyDiver
    You have a very interesting assessment of fs2020. After reading several different articles about fs2020 it sounds like an unfinished product. Several unknown issues, what is suitable computer build at this point or is it just much too early to build at all. Is it more suited to operate with x box? Or is it built for future advanced computer hardware and software?
    The default aircraft that are included with fs2020 very disappointing. Which aircraft does the regular person fly? I fly only 4 different planes in x plane 11. Zibo 737-800, F35, BD-5J all three freeware, and default Cirrus SF50-G2. Would I even have access to such aircraft in fs2020. I wanted to get a demo version much like x plane 11 offered on their system. First two or three times I did the demo version I was sure I liked the old FSX better but the more I did demo the more I felt it was closer to real flight so I do all my flying in x plane 11.
    With all the modern technology we have today and all the years of doing this stuff over the internet I thought everything would be sorted out and by now there would be a universal installer available to or something to overcome all these hiccups and the system would be fantastic and run like a swiss watch. Or are we just being bamboozled.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3