FS2004 Water Textures With No Frame Rate Impact

Agent00729

Hello,

Can anyone recommend any freeware water textures that have no frame rate impact? I know there are many options to choose from, but I was wondering if anyone has any preferences and can recommend a replacement to the default textures that would have no frame rate impact.

Also, are there any replacement textures that actually have better FPS performance than the default textures?

Thanks!

i've never heard of water textures causing a decrease in FPS. that said the best I know are from ENVTEX. highly recommend.

Wow, I didn't know about that one! Looks great. I installed the water textures and I'm loving it so far. Do you recommend the other textures included? I'm currently using HDE V2 for everything else.

I recommend everything in ENVTEX. they make the sim look amazing. the Cloud textures at 512 32bit are really really good. tad hard on FPS. try them with your system. a good rule of thumb is this. 1024 looks good but loses a 3d effect. 512 is less sharp but the 3d volumetric effect is much much better.

if you have FSUIPC the visibility settings will also greatly improve the look of the sim. i have mine set as this

clr: 5000

cloudy: 4000

overcast: 3000

rain: 1100

Forgot to mention....

As we head into winter here in Canada, I replace inland water textures with these to make all the lakes/rivers look frozen.

For best results, turn "Water effects" to none. (Options, Settings, Display).

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj07ey4av3y5u34/file

RJ

Roger Wensley's frozen lakes and rivers Canada is another option. Can be found here in the library

In my opinion, this is one of those subjective subjects. What looks "the best" to one, may look not so great to another. Variations in colors, etc. make some sets look cartoony, yet others look very real.

I suggest downloading a bunch. Try them all and see which set looks best to your eyes in your sim. I know I have been through this drill numerous times looking for the best for me.

No knock on any author of any water set. The suggestions mentioned here are all worth a good look though.

Your system, and how it renders textures, etc. also may play a part.

Good luck, and have fun!

Neil