It's not MSFS 2020, it's MSFS

I keep seeing references to "2020" all over your forums and homepage. The year is not included in the official name at all. Not anywhere. And not just because it is the worst year we have collectively experienced. This is a decade-long project and Microsoft does not want to be saddled with a name that implies years down the road that it is an old product. So they intentionally have excluded the year from the name. "MSFS" is easier to type, more accurate, easily understood and correct. MSFS 2020 is not. Please change your usage accordingly.

• Founder

Well actually it's "Microsoft Flight Simulator", not MSFS, though Asobo Flight Simulator probably would have been more accurate!

The problem with what you're saying is that "MSFS" has been in common use for many years for previous versions, so it's not distinctive. If you don't add the 2020 to it, it can be unclear exactly what version of Microsoft Flight Simulator is being referred to.

It would really have been nice if Microsoft had given this new product a truly unique name!

What ever you choose to call it, it is a really amazing product as it is, and it will keep improving over time.
I7-9700K, RTX-2070, Asus Strix Z-390-H MB, 32gb G Skill 3000 CL15, Corsair Obsidian 750D case, WD Black 1tb M.2, Crucial CT500MX SSD, Seasonic Prime 750W Titanium PSU

As Nels indicates above, the very lack of a unique designation is a problem. In fact, when the new sim was announced and a new section of the forum was created for it, the title of the section was Microsoft Flight Simulator, but the confusion that caused led to adding 2020 to the title just to avoid that confusion.

It may be a "decade long project" but the previous versions which DID have unique names were also NOT a one year deal. The years in those names were an indication of when it was released, not of whether it was still the current release.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Remember: Aviation is NOT an exact Science!

I think the logic behind the Microsoft Flight Simulator title is that the first PC version was simply named Microsoft Flight Simulator, so they've used that name for this version, which will be the first one for XBox.

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

We had FS98, FS2000, then FS2004, which we started calling FS9 instead, and then FSX. And now we have FS2020. Flight-simmers like to keep it short and simple, but also distinctive. It is an amazing product whatever we call it. Edited by rooitou
i5-10600K @ 5.0 GHz, Gigabyte Z490M motherboard, RTX 2080 Super 8GB, 64GB DDR4 3200MHz, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p monitor, CH Products Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals, Track IR 5, Oculus Quest 2, Windows 10 64-bit

The first year people use the year because iits new, specially to non simmers, if i send a video to a friend so that to introduce him the news about the new sim Is say here look at the new MSFS 2020 so that he is aware its been released recently, this year

In 2021 onwards it will be known as MSFS

Kapitan

Anything I say is...not as serious as you think

I call it FS20 for short.

Then I was the odd one out calling MSTS (Microsoft Train Simulator) MTS in the beginning - in actuality Microsoft is one word not two. So it should be MFS2020... In addition recognising Microsoft as one word avoids the pundits abbreviating as M$... :)

Vern.

Well, if Asobo call it Microsoft Flight Simulator, & the Microsoft Team, themselves on their own site call it MSFS, & as Aerosoft have also stated that there is no 2020 in the title....

and the other sims are known as FSX & FS9/FS2004, maybe, we should not be confused? We, mostly have been simming for ages, & should know the difference? This is http://www.flightsim.com, not that other site!

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

Well, if Asobo call it Microsoft Flight Simulator, & the Microsoft Team, themselves on their own site call it MSFS, & as Aerosoft have also stated that there is no 2020 in the title....

and the other sims are known as FSX & FS9/FS2004, maybe, we should not be confused? We, mostly have been simming for ages, & should know the difference? This is http://www.flightsim.com, not that other site!

Well said!

in retrospect history FS12

Kapitan

Haha, I was wondering how long it would take for someone to get triggered by this. About three weeks since release...I'm surprised it took so long.

Anyway, I think the official name is awkward and slightly ambiguous given the history of the series. Product names are often, for various misguided reasons, given unintuitive names. So if the product is popular enough, I'm all for the community to refer to it by using a modifier.

Ryzen 5 3600X, 16 GB 3733 MTs RAM, Radeon RX5700 OC, 2560 x 1080 Ultrawide

and the other sims are known as FSX & FS9/FS2004, maybe, we should not be confused? We, mostly have been simming for ages, & should know the difference? This is www.flightsim.com, not that other site!

That's all well and good, however, the name has lead to confusion here and elsewhere (there have been more than a few threads posted in the wrong forum, for example). So I don't see how adding 2020 to the forum name takes away from the sim in any way, and it helps clarify which forum is for which sim. It's not like unofficial nicknames are uncommon in the aviation world.

It's not like unofficial nicknames are uncommon in the aviation world.

Exactly so. The BAE146 is known as "four APU's connected to an electrical fault" for example. MSFS2020 is much shorter. :p

Tim Wright "The older I get, the better I was..."

Xbox Series X, Asus Prime H510M-K, Intel Core i5-11400F 4.40GHz, 16Gb DDR4 3200, 2TB WD Black NVME SSD, 1TB Samsung SATA SSD

NVidia RTX3060 Ti 8Gb, Logitech Flight Yoke System, CH Pro Pedals, Acer K272HL 27", Windows 11 Home x64

We had FS98, FS2000, then FS2004, which we started calling FS9 instead, and then FSX. And now we have FS2020. Flight-simmers like to keep it short and simple, but also distinctive. It is an amazing product whatever we call it.

Yep, though you forgot FS95 and before, as well as FS2002. FS2004 was also officially known as Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 A Century of Flight. In addition to FS9 and FSX (for FS10), prior versions were FS8 and below.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

In 2021 onwards it will be known as MSFS

If that should occur, it will reintroduce the confusion that the "2020" was intended to reduce, since there will STILL be FSX, FS2004, at least back to FS98 out there and active among simmers.

Larry N.

As Skylab would say:

Next year, 2020 will be so 'last year"

The orginators, Avsim, should have just called it FSAUG - less confusing for those that were confused.

LOL, for armchair simmerz, you guys are easily confused. I hope thats not an indication of how you guys fly..

Robin

Cape Town, South Africa

If that should occur, it will reintroduce the confusion that the "2020" was intended to reduce, since there will STILL be FSX, FS2004, at least back to FS98 out there and active among simmers.

The year, like in all sim versions, or a number, like in XP, Windows versions, or P3D Vx, is a reference that we need to place the sim in s time context and as years go by this is very important

Kapitan

"A rose by any other name?"

What it's called sure sounds to me like a real 1st world make-believe problem with a game of make-believe yer flyin'.- lol

"Don't believe everything you see on the internet." - Abe Lincoln HP Pavilion Desktop i5-8400@2.8ghz, 16gb RAM, 1TB M.2 SSD, GTX1650 4GB, 300 MBPS internet, 31.5" curved monitor, Logitech yoke-throttle, Flt Vel trim wheel, TFRP rudder pedals, G/M IR headset, Extreme 3D Pro joystick, Wheel Stand Pro S Dlx